Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    That point will get soundly trounced when you factor in DC and Marvel's films and whatnot
    Well, yeah, but that has nothing to do with the overall point about manga being more widely read than superhero comics. The vast majority of people who actually like Marvel and DC's characters don't actually buy monthly comics, and it's been that way for a while. Superhero comics are pretty much loss leaders that serve as R&D departments at this point.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Well, yeah, but that has nothing to do with the overall point about manga being more widely read than superhero comics. The vast majority of people who actually like Marvel and DC's characters don't actually buy monthly comics, and it's been that way for a while. Superhero comics are pretty much loss leaders that serve as R&D departments at this point.
    Yeah, I've begun to realize that successful superhero films doesn't guarantee equally successful superhero comics. It's weird really, because Japanese comics are like tons more popular.

One of the biggest plus and best things about manga is that every week new chapters of different manga are put together in a magazine. I don't have to wait a whole freaking month for one chapter or rather one issue to a comic that could very well be unsatisfactory.

So not only do you get more bang for your buck but you get it frequently. And at the very least I know with manga that an arc that is taking almost a half of year to complete has 50 plus chapters attached to it and not 6 issues. In fact Boruto is suffering b/c it comes out once a month instead of weekly.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 11-05-2019 at 11:50 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    One of the biggest plus and best things about manga is that every week new chapters of different manga are put together in a magazine. I don't have to wait a whole freaking month for one chapter or rather issue to a comic that could very well be unsatisfactory.

So not only do you get more bang for your buck but you get it frequently. And at the very least I know with manga that an arc that is taking almost a half of year to complete has 50 plus chapters attached to it and not 6 issues. In fact Boruto is suffering b/c it comes out once a month instead of weekly.
    Yeah! Boruto manga is good. But, still it's not selling well. Major franchises are always largely weeklies like one piece, naruto, bleach.. Etc. It was sort of like rebirth was.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I think you are misunderstanding something. What I said was addressing a poster who was posting videos about things that are taken from manga source material but are not manga. Like cafes. If you go that route, manga loses. That poster is the one who went outside of the realm of comics and manga to flex how popular manga is against comics, but doing that actually defeats their point, because, in the grand scheme of things, comics properties are more successful.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 11-06-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yeah! Boruto manga is good. But, still it's not selling well. Major franchises are always largely weeklies like one piece, naruto, bleach.. Etc. It was sort of like rebirth was.
    I wonder if the american comic industry can implement that weekly system to follow how mangas are released, I realize that mangakas are overworked and manga being in black and white is probably cost effective and the way they are distributed would not be beneficial to american comic shops but man a years worth of stories in a manga can bring about 52 chapters while in a comic only 12 issues, that's not appealing at all.

I don't remember if it was someone from Marvel or DC but that person had talked about doing something similar to tv, about doing seasons etc. and I thought for one brief second that we were gonna get weekly issues of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman etc and once the issues finished at 20 to 24 issues, the writer and artist would go on a 3 to 4 month break to start on another season like tv writers, but no apparently following a tv series method of being seasonal means nothing changes except more minis that shouldn't really take 6 months.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I wonder if the american comic industry can implement that weekly system to follow how mangas are released, I realize that mangakas are overworked and manga being in black and white is probably cost effective and the way they are distributed would not be beneficial to american comic shops but man a years worth of stories in a manga can bring about 52 chapters while in a comic only 12 issues, that's not appealing at all.

I don't remember if it was someone from Marvel or DC but that person had talked about doing something similar to tv, about doing seasons etc. and I thought for one brief second that we were gonna get weekly issues of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman etc and once the issues finished at 20 to 24 issues, the writer and artist would go on a 3 to 4 month break to start on another season like tv writers, but no apparently following a tv series method of being seasonal means nothing changes except more minis that shouldn't really take 6 months.
    Colouring is largely not beneficial for me. But, i understand that might not be appealing for everyone. As for mangaka work load that's very much true. But the difference is mangaka's have some creative control over their properties atleast. Their the canon is a bit simple. Anthing author writes or considers canon is canon. Dragon ball is only exception. But even then toriyama writes the plot and even story sometimes. Kishimoto still has control over boruto. I do believe, writers take hiatus's because of the burden like miura from berserk or togashi for hunterxhunter. I believe kubo and his editors didn't get along at all. But, atleast they can take the hiatus.
    But,i do believe comics industry takes better care of employees. They all hire more people to decrease work load. For mangas,it's really mangaka's, assistant and editors. But, weekly is hard on creators. Especially, if there is colouring, inking and other stuff involved. Rebirth basically was hard on tomasi and gleason for superman. They had to put others in for fill in issues. But, we did get years of content.

I think you are misunderstanding something. What I said was addressing a poster who was posting videos about things that are taken from manga source material but are not manga. Like cafes. If you go that route, manga loses. That poster is the one who went outside of the realm of comics and manga to flex how popular manga is against comics, but doing that actually defeats their point, because, in the grand scheme of things, comics properties are more successful.
    I was trying to point out how much they love manga over there but I get it. No more non comics only videos. I won't post anymore of those videos in this thread. (guess no one else got that I was pointing out how much they love manga heroes there so sorry about the mix up) I was just showing they love comics(manga) over there. They have manga heroes like doreamon at kids playgrounds there! Heck anime hits can add sales to manga titles! School live manga sales jumped big time after the anime came out! Don't know how many sales jumped with the last Spider-Man or justice league action cartoon today?

In America movies and cartoons other then rare times like the 90 ninja turtles film and 90s X-Men cartoon don't help comic sales but in japan a anime or movie or game based on a manga can triple manga sales there!
    Last edited by Gaastra; 11-06-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Don't know how many sales jumped with the last Spider-Man or justice league action cartoon today?

In America movies and cartoons other then rare times like the 90 ninja turtles film and 90s X-Men cartoon don't help comic sales but in japan a anime or movie or game based on a manga can triple manga sales there!
    Why would I bother with a comic book store when I can go get the TRADE at Target, Barnes & Nobles and others places I KNOW for 100% they are there. Unlike at some stores who shun such books.

Folks question Marvel for spinoff books for Black Panther or Miles or the ENTIRE cast of Marvel Rising. While ignoring Dr Who, Star Trek, Regular Show, My Little Pony, Transformers and others who are producing books at a lower number.

Why would I bother with a comic book store when that person on the show has NOTHING in book form with them-because the comic book side can't be bothered or certain fandom will fight against it? Where is this Bumblebee book at after she was showcased on Teen Titans Go? Static Shock never had a cartoon comic book during it's run.

What you are talking about is what everyone else is doing.
    It allows time for folks to buy trades or floppies. It reduces the number of books in bins. Because somebody is buying that left over stuff.

Red Sonja been doing it for years.

BANNED

Putting out work weekly will just about ensure that the quality of the work will suffer. It will either be inconsistent, because there will need to be a number of different artists with varying styles working on one book, or the art will need to be very simplified so artists can keep pace. I know this isn't always true, but a lot of manga that comes out weekly is actually artistically very simplistic compared to what you see from DC. Take One Piece, for example. I'm not saying the stuff from DC is necessarily better, but generally, something like the art from One Piece is going to take an artist a lot less time to make than something that...oh...Clay Mann would do. I'm just pulling that name out of a hat. It's not just a matter of adding color, the line work is often more complex and/or the style will demand more time, for example due to having stuff like more realistic proportions where you can get away with less exaggeration. Stuff like that.

Personally, if the content is great, I'm willing to wait for it. I would prefer that over slapdash stuff...which I actually see quite a bit in manga...at least, in my opinion. Unfortunately, DC's content isn't all that worth waiting for, a lot of the time. For my tastes, putting out good sized graphic novels perhaps once a year with great art would be preferable to putting out weekly content of questionable workmanship.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 11-06-2019 at 06:14 PM.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Putting out work weekly will just about ensure that the quality of the work will suffer. It will either be inconsistent, because there will need to be a number of different artists with varying styles working on one book, or the art will need to be very simplified so artists can keep pace. I know this isn't always true, but a lot of manga that comes out weekly is actually artistically very simplistic compared to what you see from DC. Take One Piece, for example. I'm not saying the stuff from DC is necessarily better, but generally, something like the art from One Piece is going to take an artist a lot less time to make than something that...oh...Clay Mann would do. I'm just pulling that name out of a hat. It's not just a matter of adding color, the line work is often more complex and/or the style will demand more time, for example due to having stuff like more realistic proportions where you can get away with less exaggeration. Stuff like that.

Personally, if the content is great, I'm willing to wait for it. I would prefer that over slapdash stuff...which I actually see quite a bit in manga...at least, in my opinion. Unfortunately, DC's content isn't all that worth waiting for, a lot of the time. For my tastes, putting out good sized graphic novels perhaps once a year with great art would be preferable to putting out weekly content of questionable workmanship.
    Good point.

As far putting out graphic novels, the French and Belgian comics tend to be done as a series of albums. I figure that's the direction DC and Marvel are going to move towards.

Video about do the marvel and dc film hits help the comic shops. "some people don't know they still have weekly comics." Ouch!

He says no the movies don't help comic sales.

He does not carry much manga saying kids don't care about them. Should someone tell him. Lol.

He says were in a golden age of non superhero comics.

Nice kids area with the art on the walls. Great when comic shops do that.

Looks like dc is aiming for the young reader crowd now! Book gives me a lumberlanes type vibe in it's look.

Will this be a big hit for dc with young readers?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11...-gretel-lusky/

Ashley Rayburn is an upbeat girl with a decidedly downbeat past. Her father is a known criminal who once used Ashley to help him elude justice, and in his attempt to escape, a life was taken. He now sits in federal prison, but still casts a shadow over Ashley’s life. In the meantime, Ashley has bounced from foster home to foster home and represents a real challenge to the social workers who try to help her–not because she’s inherently bad, but because trouble always seems to find her.

Ashley’s latest set of presumably short-term foster parents are Kitch and Yuka Nolan. Like Ashley, Kitch happens to be an artist. Yuka, on the other hand, is a geneticist working for a very high-level tech company, one that’s contracted out to work for the government and the military. And it’s Yuka’s latest top secret project that has her very concerned. Developed for the military, it’s a set of body paints that, when applied to the wearer, grant them a wide range of special powers. Fearful that this invention will be misused, Yuka sneaks the set of paints home, substituting a dummy suitcase with an ordinary set of paints in their place.

From here, signals get crossed. Ashley comes home from school one day with her new friend Luke and, thinking that the Nolans have purchased a surprise gift for her upcoming birthday, finds the set of paints. Being an artist, Ashley naturally assumes these are for her. It isn’t long before she realizes that she’s stumbled upon something much bigger and a lot more dangerous. Although she uses her newly discovered powers for good, it’s not long before the military becomes wise to what happened to their secret weapon. And this spells big trouble not only for Ashley, but for her newfound family and friends as well.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I think the Nightwing OGN coming next year looks good.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

If I read the OP right and only the monthly comic book counts then yes; I have neither bought or read a superhero comic book in decades and amount of money I dare not to think of too much I spend in superhero trades, omnis and similar must have vanished in thin air.