Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRA View Post
    The current liberal political agenda is killing comics.
    How so? I have never understood the rational behind this position, and -- from my experience -- the parties that invoke it treat it as a given assumption without really proving the point.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRA View Post
    It might appeal to the folks posting on this forum, but not to 'normal' people in the real world.
    Funny, from what I've seen, it's more like the opposite is true.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Having minorities be superheroes is not political. At this point, taking cheap shots at Trump is hardly political. Right now comics are largely apolitical. Even those that purport to be political are usually more the aesthetics of politics rather than exploring the issues or making a case.

I'd like more stories with well written political themes and messages rather than those that just pay superficial lip service.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 10-12-2019 at 09:15 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

It's from a few months ago but here is a story on mangas growth in America and france. (50% of graphic novel sales in france are manga!)

Edit. First link isn't working but the second link has another take on the same story. Not sure why the first link won't work.

Middaugh’s optimism is not without merit, as these trends are supported by rapidly growing sales numbers. Anime streaming service Crunchyroll currently has 2 million paid subscribers after doubling their subscriber numbers in only 2 years. According to Comicbook.com, 2018 sales of manga grew from it’s previous years revenue by 7.24%, a stark contrast to the 1% fall in revenue reported by the Western comic industry.
    Manga publishers are also now doubling down on the international market. With the arrival of @SquareEnix having their own manga/book publishing imprint, “now all top 5 JP manga publishers have subsidiaries in N. America.” - Dallas Middaugh #ProjectAnime19
    “Meanwhile, in France, 25% of all books published are graphic novels/BD/manga, of which 50% is manga. This indicates potential for growth in the overseas market.” - Dallas Middaugh @
    Another take on the story.

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/0...decline/88299/
    Last edited by Gaastra; Yesterday at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    It's from a few months ago but here is a story on mangas growth in America and france. (50% of graphic novel sales in france are manga!)

Edit. First link isn't working but the second link has another take on the same story. Not sure why the first link won't work.

Another take on the story.

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/0...decline/88299/
    It's great to see manga industries are sales are growing. I hope this means mangaka's have a better working environment.

Fantastic Member

Manga sales completely fell off a cliff in mid 2000s so its probably just a case of swings and roundabouts.

I told this story before but one neat thing I saw at our replays (they sells dvds and games but added a manga section not to long ago if your wondering) was a full family walked in and headed right to the manga. Every member of the family was getting manga and talking about them. Even the little kids! They were talking about stories from the manga with each other and even the mom was grabbing manga! The kids talking about manga reminded me of us talking about comics at school when I was younger! Never saw a full family so into manga and the kids were really excited! It was neat to see.

As for japan they have not one but two 5 story manga stores! The stores sell manga based stuff like anime, toys and even supplies to make your own manga!

They also have a manga only library in japan! (they even have American graphic novels and English version of mangas!) We don't even have a graphic novel only library here in America!

Incredible Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    The problem isn't political content . The problem is its lack nuances in portrayals or narrative.
    If what you say is truly a problem in the comics’ industry and what’s contributing to lower sales, then what would you specifically suggest could make for a solution to the problem?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    If what you say is truly a problem in the comics’ industry and what’s contributing to lower sales, then what would you specifically suggest could make for a solution to the problem?
    Better writing