Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Last one i'll post.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I've been reading a lot of post-Crisis comics recently (Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Kieth Griffen's JLI) and so, on a whim, I read the Death of Superman tpb and it pretty much sums up everything wrong with superhero comics. Its filled with so many dated elements and it was never written for consumers that were unfamiliar with continuity:
    >> The cross over with JLI isn't bad, but feels out of place. This is a story about Superman, but the JLI issue focus on plots carried over from JLI, such as the mystery of Bloodwynd.
    >> Lex Luthor is apparently dead of something and the current version is a clone or something?
    >> Supergirl is a shapeshifter alien???

This is the sort of story that the creators knew would draw interest from the general public and would likely draw interest from future readers, but there was no attempt on the creators part to at least tuck away these anachronisms to create a more timeless story.
    I’ve never thought of super hero comics as being timeless. I mean they always reflect the era they were made in. There are always some pop culture references that a later generation won’t get. I rarely read older comics but that’s one thing I consider going in. That’s why certain characters or stories probably connect with some readers but then years later, no one gets it. Kind of similar to tv shows I guess.

Another site talks about this.

https://www.businessinsider.sg/chang...lysis-2019-10/

Comic shops have, for decades, been the main outlet for putting a comic book into the hands of readers, but they are being surpassed.
    The “book channel” – which includes chain and independent bookstores, online retailers like Amazon, and the Scholastic Book Fair – is projected to pass comic shops as the largest channel for comic sales in North America this year, industry website ICv2 revealed at a post-New York Comic Con conference last week.
    Graphic novel print sales reached $635 million in 2018 and single-issue (or periodical) print sales were at $360 million. The gap between the two has been widening thanks largely to the book channel. Graphic-novel sales through the channel was at nearly $500 million last year, but at less than $200 million through comic shops.
    “Comic shops have been slow to expand into kids graphic novels,” Griepp told Business Insider. “Comic stores and the distribution system are focused on periodical releases but are less skilled on the book side.”
    More comic stores are experimenting, though, and buying from the book channel through publishers like Penguin Random House and Simon and Schuster, according to Griepp. But a big problem is that parents don’t shop at comic stores. They’re already in book stores and online and comic shops have been slow to catch up.
    David Steinberger, the CEO of Amazon’s digital comics service Comixology, said at last week’s conference that consumers are moving toward the binge model generally because it’s “inexpensive, convenient, and there’s a lot of content.”
    “I think that’s kind of where we’re headed [with comics],” he said.
    “In the past, lags have always been content driven,” he told Business Insider. “Superheroes are soft right now, but all it takes is one hit to turn that around. All it takes is one title to catch on and we’ll be talking about comic stores growing again.”
    But the types of content and platforms might not be enough. Gerry Conway, the creator of such comic characters as The Punisher, told Business Insider earlier this year that the comic industry’s business model is “totally unsustainable.”
    “There’s going to have to be something that happens that’s comparable to what happened in the ’70s with the direct-sale market,” Conway said. “That resulted in a redefinition of the distribution methodology and the market that you’re aiming the books at. Both of those changes came hand-in-hand and resulted in a dramatic difference.”
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And above Manga is Juvenile Fiction...
    Most of which you won't even see in a comic shop.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Also looks like the last dogman book has beet records and is the fastest circulated graphic novel ever. Marvel and dc has been beat by a talking dog!

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...an-ball-rolls/

BANNED

I don't think superhero fans are moving away from superheroes per se, rather other people are also reading comics and they want to read other stuff. Marvel and DC's audiences are very stagnant, and both companies are locked in a system where they only cater to the people who already put up with all the bizarre idiosyncrasies that go along with Marvel, DC, and comic book stores. I imagine most new and potential fans will find all of that nonsense impenetrable; from the format (extremely expensive monthly pamphlets), to the content, (dumb ass events all over the place, and runs you can't invest in because they're too short and contradictory).

Ultimately, that's a good thing. There should be more channels to get comic books than just comic stores, which cater only to a specific type of fan, and there should be more games in town than just Marvel, DC, and smaller companies that try to produce content like them. Marvel and DC do what Marvel and DC do, and I really don't think they will change in the foreseeable future. Their ways of doing things don't appeal to everyone, so it's cool there are alternatives.

Lastly, I wouldn't post videos about cafes or amusement parks or whatnot to try to make a point that anime or manga is more popular than comics (if that's the point). That point will get soundly trounced when you factor in DC and Marvel's films and whatnot, and if you take comics in general, you have things like The Walking Dead to contend with as well. If one is going to try to make that point, they would be best off trying to keep the discussion geared toward comics.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 11-05-2019 at 06:00 AM.

Lastly, I wouldn't post videos about cafes or amusement parks or whatnot to try to make a point that anime or manga is more popular than comics (if that's the point). That point will get soundly trounced when you factor in DC and Marvel's films and whatnot, and if you take comics in general, you have things like The Walking Dead to contend with as well. If one is going to try to make that point, they would be best off trying to keep the discussion geared toward comics.
    Didn't post them to say manga was more popular then comics. They were about japans love of comics over Americas love of comics. It was that japan loves it's manga (comics) that much they have full parks and cafes based on them. America has some of these like superman stuff in the real metropolis and universal studios islands of adventure but we don't have two 5 story comic shops like japan does or can go into any used bookstore or any gas station or food store and find manga! We don't have libraries that are just manga also. Japan has places you pay to get in and read manga all day also! Some Airports have manga shelfs out to read while you wait!

We don't have graphic novel only libraries here.

Japan does have two American only comic stores however that only sell American comics! The second store is now selling plants as well as comics (ouch!) but the first is still going strong. So you can get American comics in japan! They are just not the big thing.

Another thing to get from the charts is that comic shops simply don't have the same level of money to buy comics and graphic novels that a bookstore chain does.
    And because of that more limited budget, they tend to focus on a specific area, which is superhero comics due to the interests of their regular customers.

Hence why comic shops have lower sales than bookstores, and why the top selling comics aren't found at comic shops.

Comic shops could transition to juvenile fiction, but they wouldn't know if it would sell in their shops because the people that do read those types of comics may not be going to comic shops. Because comic shops aren't where those readers go for their comics and graphic novels.

Comic shops need a supplemental pull to get those readers in. Something exclusive that relates to those graphic novels. A book-signing, maybe. A new toy or collectible that's not found at Toys-R-Us or Barnes and Noble.
    Something to pull in those readers, and their family and friends, and let them see that the books they get at the bookstores can be found at the comic shop.

But, honestly, I don't think many comic shops would want that demographic in their shops.
    They like their superheroes, their variant covers, their X-Treme mature themes and their established 'comics are collectibles to be slabbed' culture.
    A change to that status quo could be pretty scary.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I'm happy to see this. Superheroes are a niche that appeal to a relative few and there is a lot of room for stories told with words and pictures that don't involve people in spandex punching each other.

If memory serves, The Walking Dead #100 is the best-selling single issue of the century. And as others have noted, manga completely crushes superhero sales. I don't think superheroes are going anywhere, but even if the readership does dry up, comics as a whole will still be healthy and that's great.

Censorship Sucks

Maybe people don't want to pay five or more dollars for 5 minutes of entertainment.

Yeah don't see hero comics going away forever. Even in the 50s you still had superman and shazam comics. They were not top seller but were still around.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    Maybe people don't want to pay five or more dollars for 5 minutes of entertainment.
    This is definitely a factor. At least for me. I think we're reaching the point where floppies are becoming too expensive to maintain.
    Assassinate Putin!