Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Comics require a lot of knowledge. If you want to read Dragonball Z manga, you just read the Dragonball Z manga, but if you want to read Superman, well, you have to learn about 'runs', recognize that there are different authors and then you learn there are crossovers, etc. It just isn't a user friendly format.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Comics require a lot of knowledge. If you want to read Dragonball Z manga, you just read the Dragonball Z manga, but if you want to read Superman, well, you have to learn about 'runs', recognize that there are different authors and then you learn there are crossovers, etc. It just isn't a user friendly format.
    Yep, that's pretty much waht it comes down too. I luckily got in with the new 52 because it was such a fresh and easy starting point. I initially tried back in 2004 when I was just a kid with bendis ultiamte spiderman but got confused because of all the guest characters I never read about and didn't understand it was not in the main universe and never picked up another comic for years.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Yeah, from what I've seen, DC (or maybe just Didio)'s idea of 'heroes can't be happy' translates as 'a neverending shadow of some tragedy that follows the hero wherever they go'. Not a temporary crisis that a story conflict provides.
    With them, the 'unhappiness' is part of the character's permanent traits.

When I read Sherlock Holmes, James Bond or Doc Savage, it isn't some negative, depressing character trait that keeps me interested or makes me want to check out a book.
    It's that the hero is generally good, if not better than myself, and shows me someone better than myself facing an nigh-impossible obstacle and overcoming it while moving around in a unique world that interests me.

DC is bogging the characters down too much with gloom thinking that's what makes good stories.
    Meanwhile, the villains are getting better treatment than the heroes.
    +1 10 characters

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yep, that's pretty much waht it comes down too. I luckily got in with the new 52 because it was such a fresh and easy starting point. I initially tried back in 2004 when I was just a kid with bendis ultiamte spiderman but got confused because of all the guest characters I never read about and didn't understand it was not in the main universe and never picked up another comic for years.
    Oh.
    I never had that problem with comics (I've quitted comics for long twice in my life), so I can't say that I can understand. I guess that puts me in a non ideal place to try and understand why someone couldn't switch from manga to them.

You all are making me see that manga and superhero american comics really feel that much different.

Jezus wept.

James Bond is a psychopath, Holmes is a heroin addict and Savage would lobotomise his enemies.

You guys have some weird role-models.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    Chill with your Marriage craze dude, a ''cool'' character is a single character who spreads the seed all over the town... lol

If super heroes are ending, that's good. I'm sick tired of these bastards, when you think about them, they are all bunch of brute mindless evil ***** who shoved down your throud as good people lol
    I'm the one who needs to chill?

Quote Originally Posted by _Feely_ View Post
    I thought we were talking superhero comics.

Like the article in question refers to.

Anyhoo; g'night troops.
    This is a DC thread.
    Dozens.

LoL.

You're hilarious.
    Feel free to provide any evidence I'm wrong if you can.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-11-2019 at 01:11 AM.

Jezus wept.

James Bond is a psychopath, Holmes is a heroin addict and Savage would lobotomise his enemies.

You guys have some weird role-models.
    Who said anything about seeing those guys as role models? Are you actually reading the comments here?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Who said anything about seeing those guys as role models? Are you actually reading the comments here?
    I think that was directed at my comment about characters being overburdened with darkness.
    Where I was referring to the Fleming Bond, Doyle Holmes and Dent's Doc Savage, and how their stories weren't drenched in gloom or celebrating the villains.

And how, if there were any negative facets to their character, it wasn't the focus of their stories.

I don't pick up a Bond book thinking of him being a psychopath. Fleming's Bond didn't really strike me as one. A bit of a womanizer maybe.
    I don't pick up Sherlock Holmes thinking of him being an addict. It wasn't a focus of Doyle's stories. You read them for the mysteries and atmosphere.
    I don't pick up Savage thinking about him 'curing' evildoers. Again, not the reason to read Dent's Doc Savage. Although, it would still make Savage the least extreme of the Pulp heroes' brand of justice.

You can have negative traits in a character to make them more well-rounded and less two-dimensional.
    But making those traits become the driving force in their existence is a big turn off for me, unless I'm purposefully wanting to read a story about a depressing person with a psychological disorder. Which would be doubtful.

And if we're going to go into 'role-models', DC is going to come up way short on that one. Especially since the early 2000s.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I love you, Agent Z.

You are the gift that keeps on giving.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think that was directed at my comment about characters being overburdened with darkness.
    Where I was referring to the Fleming Bond, Doyle Holmes and Dent's Doc Savage, and how their stories weren't drenched in gloom or celebrating the villains.

And how, if there were any negative facets to their character, it wasn't the focus of their stories.

I don't pick up a Bond book thinking of him being a psychopath. Fleming's Bond didn't really strike me as one. A bit of a womanizer maybe.
    I don't pick up Sherlock Holmes thinking of him being an addict. It wasn't a focus of Doyle's stories. You read them for the mysteries and atmosphere.
    I don't pick up Savage thinking about him 'curing' evildoers. Again, not the reason to read Dent's Doc Savage. Although, it would still make Savage the least extreme of the Pulp heroes' brand of justice.

You can have negative traits in a character to make them more well-rounded and less two-dimensional.
    But making those traits become the driving force in their existence is a big turn off for me, unless I'm purposefully wanting to read a story about a depressing person with a psychological disorder. Which would be doubtful.

And if we're going to go into 'role-models', DC is going to come up way short on that one. Especially since the early 2000s.
    Trying to find role models in works of fiction is a bad idea in my opinion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    It's not about politics. It's about whom are the comics aimed for. Most manga and child comics are appealing for childs and pre-teens and teens. Most cape comics, are created and aimed for late teens, young adults and adults.

I woudn't give my Moon Knight or my Transmetropolitan to my 6yo cousin, for example. Moon Girl, yeah, maybe.

It's probably why DC created these new comic books in Ink and Zoom.

The next thing is making them available in places where the kids go and read, or go and buy.

And then, you get new readers that may stay after their teens.

I mean; every child loves superheros. It's just that they can't read ours.
    I seen a lot of younger readers state not liking politics in their comics, well modern far left stuff. So no.
    Last edited by Mr.B; 10-11-2019 at 09:08 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Guys, play nice here.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Only time I ever see people complain about politics in comics is when their own deplorable politics are being lampooned. Dont like it when people point out your an ******* ? Stop being an *******.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Only time I ever see people complain about politics in comics is when their own deplorable politics are being lampooned. Dont like it when people point out your an ******* ? Stop being an *******.
    The problem is 1) enough people on both sides of the political aisle think the other side is the deplorable one and 2) they won't be compelled to buy something they don't agree with. IOW, telling them to straighten up and fly right isn't going to cut it.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?