Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The problem is 1) enough people on both sides of the political aisle think the other side is the deplorable one and 2) they won't be compelled to buy something they don't agree with. IOW, telling them to straighten up and fly right isn't going to cut it.
    Tbh its mostly the right that are deplorable atm. The horrors of free healthcate pale to "Kill all non whites"

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    He has a 'glass half empty' view of it that's a bit biased, if you ask me.

It could also be a testament to the quality of the work from 30 and 40 years ago. Something they should be proud of, and celebrate.

Instead, they feel threatened.
    When it comes to keeping one's comic-related job, which may largely depend on how well a comic sells, then that's probably a different story.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Tbh its mostly the right that are deplorable atm. The horrors of free healthcate pale to "Kill all non whites"
    Not about who is right or wrong (we'll leave that for the Community section). Again, there are just as many people on the right who feel the left have the deplorables (or the evil ones if you prefer). My point is you're not going to make either side buy something if they are getting ripped apart. Would you purchase a comic book if it stated what you believe is either stupid, insane, and/or morally wrong? Probably not.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    When it comes to keeping one's comic-related job, which may largely depend on how well a comic sells, then that's probably a different story.
    Quite possibly, but they could be learning from this instead of trying harder to distance themselves from something that 'works'.

What could Didio and Co. learn from the classic tales?

Instead of laying the blame on the readers for choosing the classics over new content, why not try to figure out what makes the older content more appealing?
    Surely the older readers they've been pushing away already have most of the back issues they want.
    So, there's likely a lot of these classics being sold to newer readers.
    Which then begs the question 'What makes the classics appeal to newer readers that don't have the pull of nostalgia to lure them in?'

If Didio could answer that, he could possibly make the newer comics more enticing.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quite possibly, but they could be learning from this instead of trying harder to distance themselves from something that 'works'.

Instead of laying the blame on the readers for choosing the classics over new content, why not try to figure out what makes the older content more appealing?
    Surely the older readers they've been pushing away already have most of the back issues they want.
    Which then begs the question 'What makes the classics appeal to newer readers that don't have the pull of nostalgia to lure them in?'

If Didio could answer that, he could possibly make the newer comics more enticing.
    Ooh! Ooh! Pick me!

Older stories, despite having some dark parts, generally had that underlying theme of hope. Modern day comics, since about the mid-to-late 80s, keep getting more grim-dark. Which may appeal to some people at times, but doesn't appeal to all people all of the time.

Same goes for shifting characters in directions that none of that character's fans asked for nor wanted (Jon as an adult, Wally as a mass killer, Dick as "Ric", etc).

Yeah, on the subject of simply blaming the readers, that I don't agree with. A certain amount of consideration should definitely be taken into account to figure out how to get the comics to seel more, whether it's quality, advertising, or something else entirely.

Comics need more politics IMO. It didn't stop them from selling them well back in the day.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Comics need more politics IMO. It didn't stop them from selling them well back in the day.
    Yeah. If anything, the constant events, relaunches and reboots at DC are sending a worse message to any fan than any political message is: nothing is stable here, your heart is guaranteed to be broken and everything you like will end in 6-24 months because we can't steer a ship.

The minute I explained that the 5G situation was happening to a coworker, the first thing he said was "well that means there's no real long game for Aquaman, so I'm just going to drop it." I didn't even have time to weigh in how I felt. This is a bad look for prospective fans because it keeps happening and most of them can see the pattern. They'll be next and it just burns readers each time.

It's like a car salesman trying to convince you that your purchase is a sound one that is backed by their guarantee whilst standing in front of three signs reading "all sales final," "no returns, exchanges or repairs after car leaves lot" and "help wanted." Seriously, I don't blame people for not jumping onboard.

To be honest, a lot of what I enjoy from back issues is that stories tended to be more compact, we had more supporting cast members that were designed to flesh out the protagonist (and not just other heroes), the heroes actually were good at their job and there was no sense of disdain for having to write books about superheroes so we can tell stories about supervillains. The universe felt ripe with adventure, not a place of unending horror where the only thing holding back annihilation was a band of costumed individuals.

These days it feels like every pitch starts with the villain and then the discussion is how to work the hero in. Moreover, the stakes are always so high that nothing feels meaningful. It's always mass murder or the death of the multiverse. I'm pretty sure even the cops don't respond to bank robbers anymore because there's just no damn time to with how things have escalated. I've been rereading Starman and one issue was devoted to a former bank robber getting a second chance at life after his release from jail. More compelling that a lot of stuff in my pull list, and frankly I'm starting to feel like I did back when the rumors about the New 52 cropped up and I was questioning why I even bother with newer books sometimes.
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-11-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah. If anything, the constant events, relaunches and reboots at DC are sending a worse message to any fan than any political message is: nothing is stable here, your heart is guaranteed to be broken and everything you like will end in 6-24 months because we can't steer a ship.

The minute I explained that the 5G situation was happening to a coworker, the first thing he said was "well that means there's no real long game for Aquaman, so I'm just going to drop it." I didn't even have time to weigh in how I felt. This is a bad look for prospective fans because it keeps happening and most of them can see the pattern. They'll be next and it just burns readers each time.

It's like a car salesman trying to convince you that your purchase is a sound one that is backed by their guarantee whilst standing in front of three signs reading "all sales final," "no returns, exchanges or repairs after car leaves lot" and "help wanted." Seriously, I don't blame people for not jumping onboard.
    Multiple factors can be at play of course, though I do agree that DC's intent to make their continuity as new reader friendly as possible will end up being more of a negative than a positive the more times they keep doing it in a relatively short span of time. It's funny that they seem to worry about their history and alternate universes too much, whereas Marvel meanwhile just keeps on trucking along with releasing comics year after year with pretty much the same continuity since 1961 and has an abundance of alternate universes.

Not about who is right or wrong (we'll leave that for the Community section). Again, there are just as many people on the right who feel the left have the deplorables (or the evil ones if you prefer). My point is you're not going to make either side buy something if they are getting ripped apart. Would you purchase a comic book if it stated what you believe is either stupid, insane, and/or morally wrong? Probably not.
    I disagree with that.

When CAPTAIN AMERICA stops Snake Themed KKK from killing Mexicans and he's dragged across the coals irl by Fox News you have to ask what the hell is wrong with society. When the inherent message of superhero comics is despised by certain segments of the political spectrum then theres no point in trying to sell to them.

Comics are pretty much exactly the same as they have been for 30 years.

Nothing's changed.

Spectacular Member

-- Deleted --

The current liberal political agenda is killing comics. It might appeal to the folks posting on this forum, but not to 'normal' people in the real world.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

BANNED

The problem is 1) enough people on both sides of the political aisle think the other side is the deplorable one and 2) they won't be compelled to buy something they don't agree with. IOW, telling them to straighten up and fly right isn't going to cut it.
    One side shouldn't be catered to, at all.

Ostracizing them would be awesome.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Luxemburg View Post
    One side shouldn't be catered to, at all.

Ostracizing them would be awesome.
    The question, though, was whether or not politics helps or hinder sales. I don't think there's a creditable argument for the former, but if management doesn't case about losing a significant portion of the potential audience, that is certainly their prerogative.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?