Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Luthor - a solo standalone film?

Warner Bros is rumored to be considering a solo standalone Luthor movie after the success of Joker

Pleasantly surprised but not shocked.

I'll definitely take a President Lex movie over the replacement Supergirl rumors.

I have definite thoughts on this possible development. Need to ruminate more on the possibilities.

There's a lot of ways to screw it up, but there are as many ways to knock it out of the park.

I'm definitely interested in this movie as an addition to a future Superman movie, not in place of one.

Initial responses?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

"Cinema's definitive response to the Trump era...the savage, accusatory voice of a generation...five stars" declare several coked-up producers' fevered imaginations. Does this mean WB's gonna throw a big blubbery tantrum about not letting Jon Cryer play Luthor anymore? Bad enough they're playing these blueballing games with Hoechlin's Superman.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    "Cinema's definitive response to the Trump era...the savage, accusatory voice of a generation...five stars" declare several coked-up producers' fevered imaginations. Does this mean WB's gonna throw a big blubbery tantrum about not letting Jon Cryer play Luthor anymore? Bad enough they're playing these blueballing games with Hoechlin's Superman.
    What does Supergirl have to do with any of this?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What does Supergirl have to do with any of this?
    WB's whole "DC characters in the movies or who even tentatively are in pre-production to possibly be in the movies can't show up on the TV shows" policy, much as its waxed and waned in recent years.
    Buh-bye

WB's whole "DC characters in the movies or who even tentatively are in pre-production to possibly be in the movies can't show up on the TV shows" policy, much as its waxed and waned in recent years.
    I doubt that policy is still in effect given how often it has been broken.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-10-2019 at 02:51 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I think this is the perfect time for a straight up SUPERMAN movie. Like, a legit honest to god SUPERMAN.

Lex Luthor could be cool in relation to that, especially in the days of Jeff Bezos' reign of terror. Jimmy Olsen would be a great companion piece too.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I'd be for it, but I HOPE it's not an excuse to basically do a purely political rumination of the Trump era with just swapping in a fit bald guy for a fat orange one. Not because I'm at all pro the current administration,it's just that something so obvious like that could and would really age badly. Some subtle commentary wouldn't be bad, just don't make it so obvious that it immediately dates it.

If anything though,I hope they explore the angle of the off the charts genius side,and less the corporate robber baron.

I also hope this doesn't mean they will shelve Cryer's Lex because of this.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

If Joker is just The Joker + Taxi Driver this should be Luthor + American Psycho or House of Cards. I’d go see it since Lex is my favorite villain but really why leave Superman out of this? Even Joker had the Waynes in it, make Lois and Clark the ones investigating Lex’s campaign.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The link doesn't work. If there is supposed to be one. I'd rather they just sit down with Cavill and work this thing out. Get more actual Superman movies. Unless WW'84 really is supposed to be some kind of hard reboot.
    Assassinate Putin!

The way it was presented in that supposed leak doesn't really interest me. A President Luthor movie where Superman is "imaginary" so it's basically just Lex? Lois as his First Lady interests me even less, even if the idea that she would be the one to take him down sounds interesting.

Joker was essentially a prequel to an eventual Batman. A movie that is just Lex as a corrupt businessman who becomes president is just pasting names onto other movies or completely obvious political commentary.

So of course that's probably where WB is going to go.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Warner Bros is rumored to be considering a solo standalone Luthor movie after the success of Joker

Pleasantly surprised but not shocked.

I'll definitely take a President Lex movie over the replacement Supergirl rumors.

I have definite thoughts on this possible development. Need to ruminate more on the possibilities.

There's a lot of ways to screw it up, but there are as many ways to knock it out of the park.

I'm definitely interested in this movie as an addition to a future Superman movie, not in place of one.

Initial responses?
    I doubt doing a Lex Luthor movie is going to stop WB from doing a Supergirl movie. WB did a Joker movie but are still doing a Harley Quinn movie and later on a Batman movie that don't seem to be related to the Joker movie.

I doubt Lex Luthor will be in any more of the shows after Crisis on Infinite Earths anyway.

Sounds pretty stupid. I'm not a fan of the idea of replacing Superman with Supergirl, but at least that would be a superhero story. Have no interest in these dumb focus on the villain takes. If WB starts trying to copy Joker, they'll be in for a reality check because this project will prove an outlier. In reality its just an in general character study of a man losing his mind. It barely has any connection to the actual Batman lore outside of name drops. Its an (apparently, I haven't seen it) well made story about a guy going insane. It should be a one-and-done idea. But not surprised WB thinks that they can just plug any other comic villain in here and try the same thing again.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-10-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I’ve heard nothing about this, and that link doesn’t work. But it could work. I could see them borrowing heavily from Azzarello Luthor and having Superman around but always as a scary shadowy figure. The way Lex sees him. And his only line is:”I can see your soul.”
    Hell maybe you could get Phoenix to play the lead role again. He’d probably nail it.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I’ve heard nothing about this, and that link doesn’t work. But it could work. I could see them borrowing heavily from Azzarello Luthor and having Superman around but always as a scary shadowy figure. The way Lex sees him. And his only line is:”I can see your soul.”
    Hell maybe you could get Phoenix to play the lead role again. He’d probably nail it.
    Superman wouldn't exist in the movie at all.

https://www.nme.com/news/film/lex-lu...sident-2554658

Warner Bros. is considering making a film about Luthor as US president: “No Man of Steel; he’s pure fiction in this alternate universe,” Sutton wrote of the exclusion of Superman in the potential film.

“To WB, this has the potential of being a modern-day Citizen Kane. You see Luthor grow up from being an awkward intellectual kid to corrupt wealthy businessman to president of the United States. Slap on an R rating and leave the comic books behind but perhaps put a twist on the myth such as making Lois Lane his First Lady, but also the reporter who brings him down.”

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Superman wouldn't exist in the movie at all.

https://www.nme.com/news/film/lex-lu...sident-2554658
    Yeah, I don't really want to see a Luthor movie if Superman doesn't physically exist. It kind of misses the point.