Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    In terms of...

?
    I thought you made perfect sense tbh

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    The key difference is that Johns made Green Lantern awesome so that can be forgiven
    To be fair, it started before Johns with the notion that the Guardians were distant, out of touch and needed to be 'reminded' of what was 'right' and so on. I'm not saying they have to be unimpeachable or always correct or that their viewpoints can't be a little skewed, but I think you lose something from the story when figures like Odin or the Guardians are torn down to raise humanity up. I like Morrison's statements on how he views the guardians:

These beings have been around since the dawn of the universe. They have an intrinsic understanding of what is right in the sense of what leads to greater organization, more freedom, and more of all of those things. They understand it in ways that we don’t.

So, the Green Lanterns are following a code of law that follows the fundamental principles of how the universe was created. We really want to go into that. I don’t think it’s been done before, to show that there’s more to this. There isn’t a bunch of law enforcers who are just out there traveling to say that it was wrong to cross that line, or wrong to be this person. They know the rightness in things. They know the wrongness in things, and they like to try and correct it for the evolution of the universe.
    Frequently, it seems more about placing humanity at the center of things.

I think what Aaron (and GL writers who depicted the Guardians like Johns did) were getting at is that being older than humans doesn't mean you have a better grasp on what is right or wrong and there are some prejudices you will be stuck with.

Admittedly, some writers do kind of go too far with it.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Odin had some good showings under Aaron too.

He seemed to hold his own against Galactus. And he along with the other 1 mill BC Avengers beat a Celestial ... yeah it was a group effort but I'm assuming that he did a good portion of the work.

So it sort of balaces out.
    not even close.

Fraction wrote Odin vs Galactus.

that was heavily weakened Celestial.

there is no good showing of Odin under Aaron... at all.

BANNED

Truly Odin was getting pounded upon by Jane Thor, Thor and was afraid of Mangog under Arron.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    not even close.

Fraction wrote Odin vs Galactus.

that was heavily weakened Celestial.
    ep
    there is no good showing of Odin under Aaron... at all.
    My bad about the Galactus thing.

But I still think the Celestial thing is a pretty impressive feat. Saying it's a weakened celestial is like challenging Curry to a game of horse when he's got a cold. Steph Curry with a cold is still Steph Curry. And a weakened Celestial is still a Celestial. Unless you're freaking Galactus or above, you don't want a piece of that.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    But I still think the Celestial thing is a pretty impressive feat. Saying it's a weakened celestial is like challenging Curry to a game of horse when he's got a cold. Steph Curry with a cold is still Steph Curry. And a weakened Celestial is still a Celestial. Unless you're freaking Galactus or above, you don't want a piece of that.
    man now that's a comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think what Aaron (and GL writers who depicted the Guardians like Johns did) were getting at is that being older than humans doesn't mean you have a better grasp on what is right or wrong and there are some prejudices you will be stuck with.

Admittedly, some writers do kind of go too far with it.
    I have a problem with this because it puts an all father of wisdom on a human moral equivalent. Like the Guardians, Odin should be beyond that. He doesn't have to be perfect, all wisdom being born of scars and mistakes, but too often has this well gone back to, especially with Odin and the Guardians. Sometimes, it's okay fora people or a person to be wiser than us.

BANNED

eh jane foster beat him, he can't be that strong

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I have a problem with this because it puts an all father of wisdom on a human moral equivalent. Like the Guardians, Odin should be beyond that. He doesn't have to be perfect, all wisdom being born of scars and mistakes, but too often has this well gone back to, especially with Odin and the Guardians. Sometimes, it's okay fora people or a person to be wiser than us.
    It's regrettable imo that Aaron seems to disregard that Odin was also the Norse god of wisdom, he's written him like a fool

Odin was rarely ever that before this run

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    It's regrettable imo that Aaron seems to disregard that Odin was also the Norse god of wisdom, he's written him like a fool

Odin was rarely ever that before this run
    I think he may have taken that into account when giving him alzheimer's.

What would be the most devastating decease one can have when it comes to the mind? One that slowly eats away at the gained wisdom throughout the eons of Odin's life.

It makes Odin's life tragic, his hubris, anger, and stubbornness left him truly alone and only when it was too late did he finally connect with his two sons and daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I thought you made perfect sense tbh
    *shrugs*

So did I.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    In terms of...

?
    How do you define "written respectfully"? Each and every person could have a different view of what that means in practice.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I think he may have taken that into account when giving him alzheimer's.

What would be the most devastating decease one can have when it comes to the mind? One that slowly eats away at the gained wisdom throughout the eons of Odin's life.

It makes Odin's life tragic, his hubris, anger, and stubbornness left him truly alone and only when it was too late did he finally connect with his two sons and daughter.
    The later part, about connecting, I find a bit difficult to accept (from the writer not you)

There are many instances of Odin being a git to his family, but there are also very many of Odin openly expressing his pride and love of them, not least him putting his life on the line

And it's usually him being an overt pain to facilitate a long term plan to help prepare them for some great evil or threat they just didn't see coming
    I reallyy think Aaron missed that completely

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    eh jane foster beat him, he can't be that strong
    Have you watched the video?
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.