Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Default Odin is stronger than you think

And then...after all those amazing feats of power, Jason Aaron came, turning all those feats into jokes.

-He made the all father scared of mangog.

-He made the all father unable to lift mjolnir when many times in the past it was shown that Odin could do whatever he wanted with the hammer.

-He made the all father dependant on a stark armor to focus his power, even when before, in the brink of death, he never needed something like that.

-He made the All father's weapon, Mjolnir, sentient with the godstorm, making it the reason why he gave Thor the hammer...because the living hammer threw a tantrum.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

I don't understand Marvel, a ongoing titled "Odin" would sell fine. Can we finally get started rehabilitating this brought low character?

Spectacular Member

Aaron has basically treated Odin far worse than he did Thor. It will be a relief to see a new writer on the book that shows respect to Odin's character in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by pugbuddy View Post
    Aaron has basically treated Odin far worse than he did Thor. It will be a relief to see a new writer on the book that shows respect to Odin's character in particular.
    The recent issue of Loki has shown Odin being depicted as a kind father to kid Loki.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    I don't understand Marvel, a ongoing titled "Odin" would sell fine. Can we finally get started rehabilitating this brought low character?
    I think Aaron was trying to do Thor's version of Daredevil Born Again or Iron Man Demon In A Bottle. The problem is it's one thing to inject human weaknesses to powerful fantasy characters. It's another thing writing said characters like they are thugs from Brooklyn while ignoring their powers and abilities. I enjoyed the earlier parts of Aaron's run on Thor and the villains he added to the rogues gallery but what he did to Thor and Odin as characters was awful.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Aaron wrote Odin as the Old Testament God: petty, jealous, and wrathful.

I think he did it to juxtapose Odin with Thor's kindness, aloofness, and later self- consciousness and Loki's deceitfulness, smarminess, and duplicity.

Also Aaron preferred Freya over Odin, Freya is depicted as the true ruler of Asguardia for a large portion of his run.

Also Odin has Alzheimers now, so he may be off the table for a while.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 10-10-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Aaron wrote Odin as the Old Testament God: petty, jealous, and wrathful.

I think he did it to juxtapose Odin with Thor's kindness, aloofness, and later self- consciousness and Loki's deceitfulness, smarminess, and duplicity.

Also Aaron preferred Freya over Odin, Freya is depicted as the true ruler of Asguardia for a large portion of his run.

Also Odin has Alzheimers now, so he may be off the table for a while.
    Odin tended to be harsh at times in previous runs but Aaron turned him a shadow of his former self without giving a good explanation why he became weaker.

Odin is trash for 5 years now and was given human disease.

I'm honestly disgusted.

I cannot describe in words how disappointed I am.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Odin is trash for 5 years now and was given human disease.

I'm honestly disgusted.

I cannot describe in words how disappointed I am.
    Do you think Thor and Odin will get written properly now that Aaron is gone?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Odin tended to be harsh at times in previous runs but Aaron turned him a shadow of his former self without giving a good explanation why he became weaker.
    I think the explanation is because he is slowly succumbing to the decease and that is why he is becoming weaker and weaker and continually lashing out. He is forgetting how to rule effectively and this is why he defers to Freya.

That's my reading of his characterization.

Do you think Thor and Odin will get written properly now that Aaron is gone?
    I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    I don't think so.
    What do you think of Donny Cates becoming Thor's writer?

I think he's too much of an edgelord and his gore and power levels are all over the place.

His Thanos was only slightly better than Lemire Thanos.

What do you think of Donny Cates becoming Thor's writer?

I think he's too much of an edgelord and his gore and power levels are all over the place.

His Thanos was only slightly better than Lemire Thanos.
    I like his stuff with Knull.

if Thor's power level will be fixed then I don't care if he solos all Cosmic Entities

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by pugbuddy View Post
    I could not agree more

And the low balling of his power was tragic

Odins rocked with the best but under Aston he pitiful

But that was Aaron's intention

For, you know, reasons

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The disappointing thing with such a long running story is that you have a character who shouldn't even be on the table, and then he's thrown under when someone has run out of other cards to play. I haven't really read Aaron since his first few arcs but Asgard hasn't sounded like Asgard in a long time.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES