Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    The later part, about connecting, I find a bit difficult to accept (from the writer not you)

There are many instances of Odin being a git to his family, but there are also very many of Odin openly expressing his pride and love of them, not least him putting his life on the line

And it's usually him being an overt pain to facilitate a long term plan to help prepare them for some great evil or threat they just didn't see coming
    I reallyy think Aaron missed that completely
    He connects with Thor in the final 2 issues of the last Thor run and I think that's why it isn't as fleshed out as it should have been.

I agree, I do wish that Thor, Loki and Odin had a 3 issue mini arc where they bonded right after the War of The Realms. Maybe a story where they use their respective powers to clean of the 10 Realms.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    It will be revealed that this Odin is actually a copy energized by the real Odin and and is winding down now that the real Odin is awakening from the Odin sleep.
    Winner.

The REAL Odin is off dealing with a threat outside of the omniverse with TOAA and Kevin Brashear.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    Truly Odin was getting pounded upon by Jane Thor, Thor and was afraid of Mangog under Arron.
    I'm not generally on the Aaron-hate-train, but the scene where Jane clobbers Odin and flies from near-Earth to somewhere around Jupiter or Saturn, in the space of a second or so, and she flies over to him, again, in seconds, to continue the fight, just broke my brain, since it takes *light* 43 minutes to reach Jupiter (from the Sun, so more like 35 minutes from Earth). No version of Thor is supposed to fly 2580x faster than Monica Rambeau! (or punch someone so hard that they get thrown back 2580x light speed!)

That just seemed ludicrous to me. Maybe it was meant to feel mythic, like Thor vs. Jormungandr in 'myth-time' during the Simonson run. But it just felt like the writer had no idea what he was doing.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'm not generally on the Aaron-hate-train, but the scene where Jane clobbers Odin and flies from near-Earth to somewhere around Jupiter or Saturn, in the space of a second or so, and she flies over to him, again, in seconds, to continue the fight, just broke my brain, since it takes *light* 43 minutes to reach Jupiter (from the Sun, so more like 35 minutes from Earth). No version of Thor is supposed to fly 2580x faster than Monica Rambeau! (or punch someone so hard that they get thrown back 2580x light speed!)

That just seemed ludicrous to me. Maybe it was meant to feel mythic, like Thor vs. Jormungandr in 'myth-time' during the Simonson run. But it just felt like the writer had no idea what he was doing.
    It really says something that while Jane got these ludicrous feats, Thor got the jobber/Worf treatment in both his series and the Avengers
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Winner.

The REAL Odin is off dealing with a threat outside of the omniverse with TOAA and Kevin Brashear.
    And the threat is a team of hybrid clones of Odin who wants to bring total oblivion. They are a Odin-Galactus, a Odin-Xavier, a Odin-Gladiator, a Odin-Strange and a Odin-Iron Man. They were originally created by Odin to test the abilities of Thor
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    It really says something that while Jane got these ludicrous feats, Thor got the jobber/Worf treatment in both his series and the Avengers
    Every writer has his pet characters that he loves to give epic feats and important roles in their universe.

Jim Starlin has Adam Warlock and Thanos

Steve Englehart has Mantis

Bendis (BENDIIIIISSS) has Luke Cage and Kitty Pryde

Geoff Johns has Hal Jordan and Barry Allen

Jeph Loeb has Red Hulk and Sam ''not my Nova'' Alexander.

And Jason Aaron has Jane Foster.

It's all part of the ebb and flow of being Odin. Sometimes he's depicted as really, really powerful and far more influential than he has a right to be. But in other depictions, he's taken down several notches to the point that some fans get the impression that Odin would have a tough time opening a can of beans, let alone a can of Whup-ass on someone.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    It's all part of the ebb and flow of being Odin. Sometimes he's depicted as really, really powerful and far more influential than he has a right to be. But in other depictions, he's taken down several notches to the point that some fans get the impression that Odin would have a tough time opening a can of beans, let alone a can of Whup-ass on someone.
    That's because he falls into the mentor archetype. If he's more powerful and more wise than Thor, then why do we need Thor? Why doesn't he do more? They need to weaken him to keep Thor and the other Asgardians relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    And the threat is a team of hybrid clones of Odin who wants to bring total oblivion. They are a Odin-Galactus, a Odin-Xavier, a Odin-Gladiator, a Odin-Strange and a Odin-Iron Man. They were originally created by Odin to test the abilities of Thor
    Just be glad that Bat-Odin isn't a thing. Maybe in the next Amalgam Universe crossover it will be.