Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast
    BANNED

For now; but do we know for certain that he's being given the benefit of the doubt so far as 'He might have the X-Gene'? I think it's Shogo's age that grants him just a bit of leniency here, to be honest...

(And yes, I'm aware he does become Sentinel-X in the future...but then, that might just be another 'possible' future that Bishop, Cable, Rachel and Hope hail from--totally at the whim of a retcon if need be.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    Speaking truth, anyajenkins! Just watched "The Day the Dinosaurs Died" on PBS' Nova last night. Oh my god, the earth became hell in 11 minutes after that asteroid strike. And only a few species survived. Those little rat like guys that burrowed deep in the earth, that T-Rex didn't even see because they were too small, they are our ancestors. And yes, every time you see robins pulling up worms on your lawn in the spring, they are the direct descendants of T-Rex.
    It was a pretty good special I also saw recently if you are talking about the one that talks about the super Tsunami and global firestorm which burned the atmosphere and cooked the surface life of the Earth.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-13-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    But doesn't the dialogue itself enforce the "Us VS Them" on its' own? For example: Polaris disparaging of if there's any good in "Humans." Or Emma's condescending "A little humanity to go with her excess of humanity." Clearly, these characters don't regard themselves as part of humanity in the same way we've seen other, more nuanced characters like Storm do...but then Storm seems go ahead and enforce that tone. There doesn't seem to be a difference in how she refers to "Man" as Emma, Polaris, Magneto or even Xavier do. Everyone has distanced themselves from the idea of humanity if only in how they refer to them...so what's to say Hickman won't further cut those human ties? Regardless of what they meant to the characters or even informed what they're even about? I agree that the mutants need a safe space and nation to build upon, definitely...but I don't think it should come at the cost of just ignoring their human roots. They are still human; just the next step of it.

(But then: I vehemently disagree with the idea that Xavier's original dream had to 'die' at all--I think that was up to the writers to make work. Bendis looked like he was trying to call attention to it, at least.)
    I agree with you. It could go that way but it hasn't yet and i'm just going to ride the wave and address it if they do. But i can see your point but some of it is very premature. I also agree that Xavier's dream didn't need to die or rather shouldn't have. In fact Xavier's dream in combination with a safe -place is the best way forward in my opinion. At the end of the day unless something happens that mutants in an offshoot can't give birth to humans humans will always exist and when those humans are the minority, if it happens mutants need to be prepared to welcome the uniquueness that person brings. they have to change human minds and form it in a a way of perseving the natural legacy of the world. It will never work imo if they can't do that.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I agree with you. It could go that way but it hasn't yet and i'm just going to ride the wave and address it if they do. But i can see your point but some of it is very premature. I also agree that Xavier's dream didn't need to die or rather shouldn't have. In fact Xavier's dream in combination with a safe -place is the best way forward in my opinion. At the end of the day unless something happens that mutants in an offshoot can't give birth to humans humans will always exist and when those humans are the minority, if it happens mutants need to be prepared to welcome the uniquueness that person brings. they have to change human minds and form it in a a way of perseving the natural legacy of the world. It will never work imo if they can't do that.

Now this I definitely agree with you on; there needs to be a balance between it that I'm not seeing in Hickman's current writing, or at least not in the methodology presented.

Now this I definitely agree with you on; there needs to be a balance between it that I'm not seeing in Hickman's current writing, or at least not in the methodology presented.
    And i don't think it's there because it's only the beginning. If in time there aren't books that show that reaching out, i'm hoping at least one wave two book has to do with accredited human teachers coming to krakoa a few hours a day to teach students and falling in love with their creativity. But i get there needs to be a buffer of time where you get your ducks in order and feel safe before you start planned outreach. I think the upcoming X-statix book for example could do wonders here. How many humans will tune in to get a look at mutant kinds rebooted reality show with exclusive views of krakoa.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    And i don't think it's there because it's only the beginning. If in time there aren't books that show that reaching out, i'm hoping at least one wave two book has to do with accredited human teachers coming to krakoa a few hours a day to teach students and falling in love with their creativity. But i get there needs to be a buffer of time where you get your ducks in order and feel safe before you start planned outreach. I think the upcoming X-statix book for example could do wonders here. How many humans will tune in to get a look at mutant kinds rebooted reality show with exclusive views of krakoa.

But see, that's the impasse we're at: based on the characters current dialogue, I'm having a very, very hard time seeing that coming. Just because this is the beginning of the story doesn't mean that a writer should sacrifice the most notable traits of a character, such as their compassion, solely for the plot. Storm is a strong, powerful and capable leader; but what made her even better than Cyclops was that she wasn't driven by such militaristic means--she had no love for the humans who would do her or other mutants harm, but she's never spoken with such contempt or in such a manner that ever confused us readers as to what context she was speaking in (For example; all humans vs these particular arseholes and the branches they're part of.)

Cyclops on the other hand, I'm not surprised at, unfortunately.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

But see, that's the impasse we're at: based on the characters current dialogue, I'm having a very, very hard time seeing that coming. Just because this is the beginning of the story doesn't mean that a writer should sacrifice the most notable traits of a character, such as their compassion, solely for the plot. Storm is a strong, powerful and capable leader; but what made her even better than Cyclops was that she wasn't driven by such militaristic means--she had no love for the humans who would do her or other mutants harm, but she's never spoken with such contempt or in such a manner that ever confused us readers as to what context she was speaking in (For example; all humans vs these particular arseholes and the branches they're part of.)

Cyclops on the other hand, I'm not surprised at, unfortunately.
    You're overthinking this. Storm's clearly trying to impress HickmanClops.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Storm was an eyewitness to the struggle and pain Jean was going through while on the mission in space, and was aware of the various deaths of her friends/family faced at the hands of the ORCHIS crew. I think her stance makes sense when facing against the same people.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 10-13-2019 at 01:24 PM.

BANNED

The same people as in ORCHIS, or the same people as in 'Man'?

The same people as in ORCHIS, or the same people as in 'Man'?
    I think its pretty clear her dialogue is aimed towards the people she's going against.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

There is no "impasse".
    Some people hate the premise...some people like it but with reservations...some people love it but without reservations.
    There's no competition to see who is "more right for how they feel about it".
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I think its pretty clear her dialogue is aimed towards the people she's going against.
    It's really not though? Especially not in the context we've seen other characters speak of 'humans' and 'humanity.' We haven't seen Storm's own thoughts on it except a council meeting; even then, if she truly has shifted her ideology to match Xavier's so, why wouldn't she speak in such broad terms?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    There is no "impasse".
    Some people hate the premise...some people like it but with reservations...some people love it but without reservations.
    There's no competition to see who is "more right for how they feel about it".
    Yes...an impasse. A deadlock between mine and jwatson's opinion on what comes next: We don't agree concurrently. That's fine. I never said anything about it being a competition or who was wrong or right. We're simply at an impasse. Jwatson's excited for the direction; I'm not. Nobody's right or wrong, it just is what it is in how we're interpreting this whole thing.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

We ALL have differing opinions and interpretations. We are not ALL at an "impasse" with each other here.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

It's really not though? Especially not in the context we've seen other characters speak of 'humans' and 'humanity.' We haven't seen Storm's own thoughts on it except a council meeting; even then, if she truly has shifted her ideology to match Xavier's so, why wouldn't she speak in such broad terms?
    If you follow her dialogue into the next panel she talks about how the soldiers aren't giving up, and seem to be regrouping to protect something/how well trained they are. I don't think Ororo would be saying all of humanity is well trained, and nor do I think that makes a lot of sense.