Page 45 of 53 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    If you follow her dialogue into the next panel she talks about how the soldiers aren't giving up, and seem to be regrouping to protect something. She even mentions how well trained they are. I don't think Ororo would be saying all of humanity is well trained, and nor do I think that makes a lot of sense.
    So, speaking of a "Subjugated people" doesn't sound at all broad to you? Because I find that particular bit hard to apply to just a group of soldiers; would not something like "A cowardly group: (or something more goddess-like) have been clearer? Yes, she's acknowledging that the soldiers are well trained, that doesn't separate them from the rest of 'Man.'

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    We ALL have differing opinions and interpretations. We are not ALL at an "impasse" with each other here.
    Definition of impasse:

impasse
    /amˈpɑːs,ˈampɑːs/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    a situation in which no progress is possible, especially because of disagreement; a deadlock.

As in; we have different opinions, so this particular conversation comes to an end. It doesn't necessarily mean 'argument only.' At least not how I've been taught to apply the word; if it came off as some sort of insult, I sincerely apologise.

I merely meant: We're not gonna agree on this one.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

No apologies necessary.
    These threads can get quite contentious...to the point where we have to choose our words carefully or suffer the consequences of the Ban-hammer.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    So, speaking of a "Subjugated people" doesn't sound at all broad to you? Because I find that particular bit hard to apply to just a group of soldiers; would not something like "A cowardly group: (or something more goddess-like) have been clearer? Yes, she's acknowledging that the soldiers are well trained, that doesn't separate them from the rest of 'Man.'
    I think Storm is being Storm. To me when I read it, it's pretty clear that the "man" she's talking about is the ones she's going up against within the panels. I don't think you can apply everything that's being said by Storm to literally all of humanity, and I don't see why she needs to be super specific.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I think Storm is being Storm. To me when I read it, it's pretty clear that the "man" she's talking about is the ones she's going up against within the panels. I don't think you can apply everything that's being said by Storm to literally all of humanity, and I don't see why she needs to be super specific.
    Well that's where you and me differ; I truly, truly find it difficult to read it as anything but considering the context that some characters tones in HOXPOX set. Plus, personally; that doesn't sound much like Storm to me, but maybe that's just Hickman.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

We ALL have differing opinions and interpretations. We are not ALL at an "impasse" with each other here.
    It's an ideological impasse, not a methodological one. Clearly progress is attainable, but consensus currently is not. Don't be pedantic, you're better than that.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    I think she was talking about the soldiers they were fighting, but it was written so that it sounds like she's talking about mankind (which she would never talk about like this, she's not the kind of person to do this kind of speech imo, she's no Magneto or even Polaris).

We don't know yet how Hickman is going to create divergence between the characters. Right now I think there is a level of ambiguity for most of the core X-Men even Xavier on what he really means in regards to his feelings about humanity.

The issue of using deadly force in the defense of the nation is also something brought up by Magneto and still not answered as yet for how the various characters come down.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-13-2019 at 02:27 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I think she was talking about the soldiers they were fighting, but it was written so that it sounds like she's talking about mankind (which she would never talk about like this, she's not the kind of person to do this kind of speech imo, she's no Magneto or even Polaris).
    You're right; I just hope Hickman remembers that! (I just don't trust him...)

She has given similar "speeches" in the past...if not similarly in message but definitely in tone.
    Her speech to the Morlocks after she defeats Callisto easily comes to mind. Indeed, her direct reply to Callisto herself just after proclaiming Leadership by Right...that was certainly "charged".
    Storm can be quite "knife-edged" when needed...So there is precedent.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

She has given similar "speeches" in the past...if not similarly in message but definitely in tone.
    Her speech to the Morlocks after she defeats Callisto easily comes to mind. Indeed, her direct reply to Callisto herself just after proclaiming Leadership by Right...that was certainly "charged".
    Storm can be quite "knife-edged" when needed...So there is precedent.
    She was in-character then with the situation… never needs to utter unnecessary tough words before this run.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    She was in-character then with the situation… never needs to utter unnecessary tough words before this run.
    Yeah, I think that's what the difference might be here; she seems overly spiteful in regards to 'Man' (however you interpret it) than when dealing with Callisto. With Callisto there was anger and rage, justifiably so considering what the hell she put her through...but it didn't feel so condescending...? Storm's never come across that way in her speeches, I've always found?

Considering who and what they're up against I would say she and Cyclops are in character with this particular situation.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Anyway guys, X-Men #1 is looking up to be pretty cool:

I’m just not expecting Eye Boy or Nature Girl anytime soon.