Page 20 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Not feeling this at all. Here's hoping the non-Hickman books will be better.

I like how Hickman is writing Storm so far. I'd like to see more of the Cyke we saw talking to the FF and "then it will done" Cyke. These panels kind of remind me of boy scout Cyclops. That's not a bad thing, I just like him with a chip on his shoulder better. Loving the art by Yu also!
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

This is a dream come true.

I just need to hear Storm say flatscan one time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Ask the humans to stop mass producing genocidal killer robots, or space stations with an artificially intelligent genocidal killer robot that can manufacture more genocidal killer robots.
    Just ask Tony/Reed/T'challa keep their technology out of Nazi's hand.

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Just ask Tony/Reed/T'challa keep their technology out of Nazi's hand.
    Tony was in coma and Reed was MIA.

Preview is ok. Don`t like dialogues here.

Will see what Hickman can do without Larraz magic.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

The whole radical stuff gets out of hand, and I must admit editorial let it go that way. Everything up the end of Second Coming made sense...Schism and the rest of it was where we started painting people as the bad guys or “radical”
    Before that, Cyclops was just hardened and making tough calls, but after...well, I think they didn’t know how to bounce back with the heroic age.

How do you know the portals weren't approved embassies?

Technically an Embassy is your countries territory and the nation the Embassy is cannot enter the Embassy without permission. So we know the US signed the Amnesty agreement with Krakoa, and so did Israel, and both of those countries have Krakoan embassies.
    Little nitpick here, but normal embassies can't allow for the instant arrival of several atomic weapons should the nation they belong to wish it. And for reasons both bad and worse and sometimes good, normal humans often sees mutants as extremely dangerous and deadly.

I'd also add that this run makes me a little uncomfortable because of how it puts the mutants in a position of power without changing their basic ideas at all. Saying that you are the next step in evolution when you're a discriminated and routinely slaughtered/exterminated minority is one thing (kind of like the Black movements in the US who say/said that basically every advancement in the world could be traced back to African peoples in the past), but when you become a vast power, with a nation unto itself, it morphs into something else altogether (kind of like the White Supremacist movements around the world who also go round and round about how everything great comes from White folks of the past).

Eugenics obviously always played a big part of the X-Men's universe, but, I don't know, all those Homo Superior, "We are the future, deal with it", "We are more", etc. How is it different that normal humans saying that the mutants are monsters and that they are the genetically superior because they don't have aberrant powers ? At what point does the mutants' founding ideology that they are the next step in evolution cease to be a form of self-defense and morph into a far darker thing ?

how do you accomplish that?

So far the mutants have just retreated and formed their own country, but so far the newly established nation of Krakoa has only attacked confirmed terrorist facilities.

Let's say for example that this latest Orchis facility is someplace in Europe. What if the X-Men advised the local government of that country that there is a genocidal terrorist cell operating in their border and asked permission to engage in a strike mission to take out the terrorist cell. The X-Men then are acting correctly within the confines of the law and are not operating in a rogue or provocative fashion. Or was this genocidal terrorist facility being operated with permission of the local government, I guess that means if you don't let us take out that facility we will put your country under a trade embargo and pull back all of our life saving medications until you get rid of this terrorist facility or let us do it.
    That's not how it's supposed to be done. I know that the U.S. (as a country) as a really hard time understanding it, because it is still the top dogs in our world and thinks it can do whatever the **** it wants, but you can't just barge into an allied country to take down a terrorist cell. Even asking for permission won't spare you from heavy backlash and weaken the allied government considerably. Normally, you inform the country's services and they deal with the threat in place.

Now, there is shadowy operations which takes places, usually in poorer nations and former colonies, and all Western countries are complicit in it, but the point is then to have the operations being as impossible to trace back to the country as possible, something that the mutants are inherently unable to do with the way they conduct such operations.
    Last edited by Korath; 10-11-2019 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Little nitpick here, but normal embassies can't allow for the instant arrival of several atomic weapons should the nation they belong to see it. And for reasons bod wad and worse and sometimes good, normal humans often sees mutants as extremely dangerous and deadly.

I'd also add that this run makes me a little uncomfortable because of how it puts the mutants in a position of power without changing their basic ideas at all. Saying that you are the next step in evolution when you're a discriminated and routinely slaughtered/exterminated minority is one thing (kind of like the Black movements in the US who say/said that basically every advancement in the world could be traced back to African peoples in the past), but when you become a vast power, with a nation unto itself, it morphs into something else altogether (kind of like the White Supremacist movements around the world who also go round and round about how everything great comes from White folks of the past).

Eugenics obviously always played a big part of the X-Men's universe, but, I don't know, all those Homo Superior, "We are the future, deal with it", "We are more", etc. How is it different that normal humans saying that the mutants are monsters and that they are the genetically superior because they don't have aberrant powers ? At what point does the mutants' founding ideology that they are the next step in evolution cease to be a form of self-defense and morph into a far darker thing ?

That's not how it's supposed to be done. I know that the U.S. (as a country) as a really hard time understanding it, because it is still the top dogs in our world and thinks it can do whatever the **** it wants, but you can't just barge into an allied country to take down a terrorist cell. Even asking for permission won't spare you from heavy backlash and weaken the allied government considerably. Normally, you inform the country's services and they deal with the threat in place.

Now, there is shadowy operations which takes places, usually in poorer nations and former colonies, and all Western countries are complicit in it, but the point is then to have the operations being as impossible to trace back to the country as possible, something that the mutants are inherently unable to do with the way they conduct such operations.
    As a reader from Germany, the "make more mutants" law left a very bad taste in my mouth. That it was proposed by a German character who really should know better didn't help.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    The whole radical stuff gets out of hand, and I must admit editorial let it go that way. Everything up the end of Second Coming made sense...Schism and the rest of it was where we started painting people as the bad guys or “radical”
    Before that, Cyclops was just hardened and making tough calls, but after...well, I think they didn’t know how to bounce back with the heroic age.
    And the fans love it because "hero" is an obsolete concept that is eaten alive by their cognitive perception of the real world, OUR real world: that it is an ongoing campaign of "Warhammer 40K" with the grim darkness and everything.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Wait wait, I got it

℞ or Rx
    We have a winner!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    And the fans love it because "hero" is an obsolete concept that is eaten alive by their cognitive perception of the real world, OUR real world: that it is an ongoing campaign of "Warhammer 40K" with the grim darkness and everything.
    How did you turn a criticism of editorial's mishandling of a character and turn it into a dig against fans?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Tony was in coma and Reed was MIA.
    Are they still?
    No. They still didn't recover their "stolen" invention.

Spectacular Member

“Suicide bombs and serving the greater good are always the last refuge of a conquered people

Man should know when he is beaten”

OOC mutant supremacist talk? They're only talking about these, specific Orchis terrorists here, aren't they? /s

Right?

Got to say, Hickman's doing a bang up job with the drip-drip-drip of something being very wrong with the X-Men and their response to the Triad's 'Great Leap Forward'. From Moira's retconned 'breaking' of Charles Xavier, through the exploitation of Krakoa via the No-Space habitats, all the way to the ban on anyone who can see what their planned future holds for mutantkind and their rivals, it's all building-up nicely.

I'm going to have to pick-up Fallen Angels.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Quote Originally Posted by Nullviahomo View Post
    “Suicide bombs and serving the greater good are always the last refuge of a conquered people

Man should know when he is beaten”

OOC mutant supremacist talk? They're only talking about these, specific Orchis terrorists here, aren't they? /s

Right?

Got to say, Hickman's doing a bang up job with the drip-drip-drip of something being very wrong with the X-Men and their response to the Triad's 'Great Leap Forward'. From Moira's retconned 'breaking' of Charles Xavier, through the exploitation of Krakoa via the No-Space habitats, all the way to the ban on anyone who can see what their planned future holds for mutantkind and their rivals, it's all building-up nicely.

I'm going to have to pick-up Fallen Angels.
    Marvel vs. X-Men. Coming 202X. It is...inevitable.

Wishing more for Marvel vs. Type-Moon.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi