Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why Harley Quinn replaces Barbara Gordon on BOP first film...

Anyone want to call bull on this one ? https://www.cbr.com/birds-of-prey-wh...n-the-dc-team/

I can see where Babs needs her own movie or two and some supporting guest roles to get her to the point where she's leading BoP.
    BoP movie should've been held until they had developed Babs to the point where she was ready for it. I would totally have supported a BoP movie with an adult Babs/Oracle all the same. Batgirl movies could be prequels or whatever.
    This Harley Quinn led movie should've been Gotham Sirens and it would've avoided the issue, but I still plan to enjoy the movie even if it's getting some things wrong. Babs can always found the Outsiders instead. It's not ideal, but we might as well make the most of what we're getting.

Based on everything we know, that's pretty much accurate.

Essentially, DC was developing Gotham City Sirens and Birds Of Prey at the same time, with the former set to be directed by Suicide Squad's David Ayer and produced by Robbie. However, like the article mentions, the BoP project ended up getting further along in development while GCS lingered in a limbo. (My personal prediction: They couldn't find good A-list actresses to fill Ivy and Catwoman, meanwhile BoP could get away with lesser names. Tinfoil hat conspiracy: They're too scared to bite the bullet on a full Harley/Ivy romance yet). So since BoP was closer to starting, Robbie decided to jump over to that and they agreed to throw her in because it'll help it sell.

Now why isn't Barbara in it? Basically because of DC's indecisiveness. They couldn't figure out if they wanted Barbara to be Batgirl or Oracle, while also not wanting to limit themselves in case they decide to go in a different direction in another movie, like the Batgirl movie the article mentioned. So they just decided to say screw it and write it without her, so now Harley becomes the lead. I remember reading that there is a version of the script with Barbara in it, but I'm not completely sure how true it is.

Did Harley need her own movie for Suicide Squad?
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Harley's movie was planned after they saw her popularity in Suicide Squad. It was going to be a Harley movie no matter who else was in it. Gotham Sirens, Birds of Prey, Harley's always gonna be the main character.
    Batgirl's movie was in the works, but then plan changes because of the Ben Affleck situation and the immediate Bat-family was affected.
    I just don't know why they don't go with Gotham Sirens instead.
    What Inversed said make sense since Ivy and Catwoman are known to the movie-going audience compared to BOP whose characters have only appeared in TV and cartoon.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Harley's movie was planned after they saw her popularity in Suicide Squad. It was going to be a Harley movie no matter who else was in it. Gotham Sirens, Birds of Prey, Harley's always gonna be the main character.
    Batgirl's movie was in the works, but then plan changes because of the Ben Affleck situation and the immediate Bat-family was affected.
    I just don't know why they don't go with Gotham Sirens instead.
    What Inversed said make sense since Ivy and Catwoman are known to the movie-going audience compared to BOP whose characters have only appeared in TV and cartoon.
    Catwoman is reserved for the Batman and ivy they have to make a choice good or bad

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Catwoman is reserved for the Batman and ivy they have to make a choice good or bad
    Making a choice if the character would be good or bad would be true for all three of them, and I don't doubt that there are directors and producers drooling over the idea of an edgy film based on three bad sexy women.

I also read that the DC film-making part of WB was severely dysfunctional and fractured, and seemed to spend as much time stopping films from other parts of it as they did developing their own projects. I have no doubts that people involved with a Batman film wanted dibs on Catwoman; I also have no doubts that the executives could quash such opposition if they wanted to.
    Last edited by kjn; 10-11-2019 at 03:42 AM. Reason: typo
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Making a choice if the character would be good or bad would be try for all three of them, and I don't doubt that there are directors and producers drooling over the idea of an edgy film based on three bad sexy women.

I also read that the DC film-making part of WB was severely dysfunctional and fractured, and seemed to spend as much time stopping films from other parts of it as they did developing their own projects. I have no doubts that people involved with a Batman film wanted dibs on Catwoman; I also have no doubts that the executives could quash such opposition if they wanted to.
    Sounds like DC Comics itself.

How could there be Batgirl here when we don't even know anymore since when Batman has been Batman in the movies ? An older Bruce allowed for the introduction of all his Bat-family down the line easily. Now that it has been killed, there is zero reason to have a Batgirl in the DCEU as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Sounds like DC Comics itself.
    It’s a WB line wide problem. They ran off the MS model (or as I like to call it, the Adolf Hitler model). Basically the parent company has all its sub branches competing with one another rather than working together. It’s an atrocious way to run a business but a lot of companies used that model until relatively recently. AT&T has put a stop to that and is forcing the sub companies to all work together.

A hot blond in short shorts looks better than a paraplegic red head. Nice to see articles defending the decision though, LoL. What even happen to the Oracle was so important ones i wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Making a choice if the character would be good or bad would be true for all three of them, and I don't doubt that there are directors and producers drooling over the idea of an edgy film based on three bad sexy women.
    Just look at how they're marketing BoP .
    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    A hot blond in short shorts looks better than a paraplegic red head. Nice to see articles defending the decision though, LoL. What even happen to the Oracle was so important ones i wonder?
    That's really problematic though .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's really problematic though .
    Right? I mean, sure blondes are hot too and all, but someone really expects me to believe they're better than a hot redhead? I mean, seriously?

I don't care if she was Batgirl or Oracle, I'd be my more likely to pay to see this with Barbara than Harley. Especially if the first trailer is anything to go by and this ends up being less "Birds of Prey" and more "Harley and her Bitches...but mostly Harley". This just...didn't need to be a BoP movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Nothing ableist and sexist about this comment at all.