Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I don’t see it happening.
    CW’s Teen Titans Go! is still really popular, and you have the Young Justice cartoon going on, w. a bleed over in characters...
    The toons are radically different and ostensibly aimed at different age groups, but there’s bleed over there, too.
    DC is going to want associated books to hopefully grab anyone who’s into the toons.
    Another problem with the comics is that they fail to consider or implement some of the more popular changes to certain characters from the cartoons.This makes it a bit harder for them to grab potential readers.

What does that have to do with anything? Young Justice the show didn't bleed into Young Justice the comic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    What does that have to do with anything? Young Justice the show didn't bleed into Young Justice the comic.
    This is one of the few times where I think that's a good thing. Tim, Kon, Cassie and Bart got derailed as characters by Johns, his successors, Lobdell and everyone who came after him. Bendis is fixing their characters and YJ is the best thing he wrote in years. Sadly, he won't get much credit from fans because of some sketchy character decisions and story decisions his Superman book.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Another problem with the comics is that they fail to consider or implement some of the more popular changes to certain characters from the cartoons.This makes it a bit harder for them to grab potential readers.
    Bingo!
    I get they can’t copy the toons exactly, but yeah it seems they don’t get/purposely ignore why the toons are popular to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    This is one of the few times where I think that's a good thing. Tim, Kon, Cassie and Bart got derailed as characters by Johns, his successors, Lobdell and everyone who came after him. Bendis is fixing their characters and YJ is the best thing he wrote in years. Sadly, he won't get much credit from fans because of some sketchy character decisions and story decisions his Superman book.
    I’m quite enjoying YJ; the sense of fun is back, and that’s something that should always be there in YJ.
    Titans too, imo.
    Super heroics and drama aside, these books are about young kids/young adults. There’s nothing wrong w. showing them enjoying themselves in their free time.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 10-12-2019 at 03:35 AM.

I honestly feel like there's no need for a titans, YJ and JL at the same time.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    JL and Titans work fine together. It's when you factor in not one, but two other generations of sidekicks behind them and sometimes the JSA that things get too crowded and same-y. Every team gets a Bat a Wonder, a Flash, a Super, etc.

The Titans peak period was when they were the only generation of sidekicks and were just starting to transition into adulthood. Current management has made the situation infinitely worse, but the whole "what the hell do we do with them now?" thing isn't a new problem.

I don’t see it happening.
    CW’s Teen Titans Go! is still really popular, and you have the Young Justice cartoon going on, w. a bleed over in characters...
    The toons are radically different and ostensibly aimed at different age groups, but there’s bleed over there, too.
    DC is going to want associated books to hopefully grab anyone who’s into the toons.
    This is exactly it, its not the 2000’s where were everything is super action packed. The Stevie Universe wacky style is in and it’s not going anywhere anytime soon.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    I think it could work, but each would needs its own tone, premise, art style and distinct cast.

DC has a glut of derivative characters, and on this forum there's always the inclination to propose sorting them into 4-6 different teams, each with the raison d'etre of "they fight bad guys".

That would lead to very samey comics with samey casts.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The Titans peak period was when they were the only generation of sidekicks and were just starting to transition into adulthood. Current management has made the situation infinitely worse, but the whole "what the hell do we do with them now?" thing isn't a new problem.
    Titans was at its peak with Marv Wolfman and George Perez's run, when less than half of the cast comprised of sidekicks.

Robin, Kid Flash and Wonder Girl were the only carry-overs from the original series. And Robin, whilst a sidekick, was still a distinct character in a way that Kid Flash and Wonder Girl weren't - he wasn't Batboy. Kid Flash was always sort of in the background, and eventually written out.

It was the addition of Cyborg, Raven, Starfire and Changeling (Beast Boy) that really helped shape the series' identity. The New Teen Titans could certainly never be characterised as "Junior Justice League", and that worked in its favour.

Thanks to the TV shows, most people know the Titans as Robin, Raven, Starfire, Beast Boy and Cyborg. It just seems crazy to me that DC didn't take advantage of this with New 52, and abandoned it so quickly during Rebirth.

Ya Titans peak period dropped the whole sidekick angle, culminating with Nightwing even. They even eventually dropped the “Teen”.

ewing on the legion and hickman to fix the timeline... he would be perfect for a big crisis zero hour maxi serie

Thanks to the TV shows, most people know the Titans as Robin, Raven, Starfire, Beast Boy and Cyborg. It just seems crazy to me that DC didn't take advantage of this with New 52, and abandoned it so quickly during Rebirth.
    And 4 out of 5, like you pointed out, aren’t sidekicks.

Maybe that’s the difference that could be emphasized between TT and YJ? YJ can lean heavily on the sidekicks/next gen-ners, while TT could feature teen heroes less connected to the adults, or least likely to succeed them.

It’s not perfect, but I can see Superboy, Wonder Girl (Cassie), Impulse, and Tim Drake being the YJ core members, while Damian, Kid Flash (The younger of the wally’s), could headline a team of lesser known teens, who would get a chance to grow a fan base.

The adults, Nightwing, Donna, OG Wally, Cyborg, Beast Boy etc, could float between the books, as they’ve all grown past this point in their careers, but still have ties to the members and what the team’s represent.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 10-12-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Titans was at its peak with Marv Wolfman and George Perez's run, when less than half of the cast comprised of sidekicks.

Robin, Kid Flash and Wonder Girl were the only carry-overs from the original series. And Robin, whilst a sidekick, was still a distinct character in a way that Kid Flash and Wonder Girl weren't - he wasn't Batboy. Kid Flash was always sort of in the background, and eventually written out.

It was the addition of Cyborg, Raven, Starfire and Changeling (Beast Boy) that really helped shape the series' identity. The New Teen Titans could certainly never be characterised as "Junior Justice League", and that worked in its favour.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Ya Titans peak period dropped the whole sidekick angle, culminating with Nightwing even. They even eventually dropped the “Teen”.
    That was Wolfman and Perez's stated intention and it worked at the time. But they were still the only generation of sidekicks at the time. That cannot be argued, it is indisputable facts. So surrounding the core five sidekicks (Roy and Garth still did guest star quite frequently) who were the only ones of their kind and had firmly established roles and purposes, surrounding them with brand new non-JL related characters, and bringing them in a new direction worked wonderfully. But you can only tell that story once. And while it culminated in Nightwing, Roy Garth and Donna went on to establish their own adult identities, none of which were as consistent or impressive as Nightwing and have even resulted in them currently looking like discount, pallet swapped versions of their mentors. Donna just wears a typical WW/Amazon style garb except its black.

And it's not helped by the "Teen" being slapped back onto the team and given to Tim's generation. So now we have three teams with, among other things, a flying Amazon with bracelets and a lasso at the forefront. The Titans just being called the Titans helped set them apart better, but now there is confusion as to what the team should be: the company's X-Men equivalent or a training ground for sidekicks? I'm in favor of the former, but it cannot be both.

Astonishing Member

And 4 out of 5, like you pointed out, aren’t sidekicks.

Maybe that’s the difference that could be emphasized between TT and YJ?
    I think so. Nightwing/Robin, Raven, Starfire, Cyborg and Beast Boy should be the core Titans. They're the characters everyone knows. There's always room to expand beyond that, or have one of them take a break from the team every now and then. But they're the characters the wider audience know. The mainstream audience doesn't know Titans as a team of sidekicks.

YJ can lean heavily on the sidekicks/next gen-ners
    Yeah, it's more baked into the name that they're kind of a young Justice League. If Titans concentrates on original characters, then they won't step on each other's toes.

Still though, Secret and Empress did add some more flavour to the original series, just as the new series has Amethyst (and possibly Naomi, eventually).

It’s not perfect, but I can see Superboy, Wonder Girl (Cassie), Impulse, and Tim Drake being the YJ core members, while Damian, Kid Flash (The younger of the wally’s), could headline a team of lesser known teens, who would get a chance to grow a fan base.
    I think that might be stretching it too far.

Ultimately, I don't think every character needs to be part of a team. Kid Flash works fine as a character in the pages of The Flash, Robin should be in Batman or Detective Comics, maybe even a solo series.

I think it could work, but each would needs its own tone, premise, art style and distinct cast.

DC has a glut of derivative characters, and on this forum there's always the inclination to propose sorting them into 4-6 different teams, each with the raison d'etre of "they fight bad guys".

That would lead to very samey comics with samey casts.
    Well, Titans, Teen Titans, and YJ all felt very different from each other around the time they were all getting published together (which, granted, wasn't very long).

I think that might be stretching it too far.

Ultimately, I don't think every character needs to be part of a team. Kid Flash works fine as a character in the pages of The Flash, Robin should be in Batman or Detective Comics, maybe even a solo series.
    Then you just have to hope that the writers for the flagship books actually want to use the sidekicks (which isn't always the case, unfortunately).