Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Like who else would you rather have?
    Very few others, and I'm not sure if I'd prefer them, just be equally satisfied. Morrison is always welcome on a DCU property as far as I'm concerned.
    I haven't read anything by Ewing but have been meaning to get Immortal Hulk, and his reputation would get me excited. I hope he comes over to DC along with Hickman eventually.

Priest has done excellent with everything Slade related, I'd be down for him writing the rest of the franchise.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Very few others, and I'm not sure if I'd prefer them, just be equally satisfied. Morrison is always welcome on a DCU property as far as I'm concerned.
    I haven't read anything by Ewing but have been meaning to get Immortal Hulk, and his reputation would get me excited. I hope he comes over to DC along with Hickman eventually.

Priest has done excellent with everything Slade related, I'd be down for him writing the rest of the franchise.
    Priest is great, but I think the Titans franchise would benefit from going in a lighter direction. There's an underlying cynicism in his Deathstroke which suits the characters he's writing but that tone didn't really work when he wrote JL.

I'll get flamed for saying this, but I'd like Bendis on Titans. He's doing a good job with YJ and Leviathan is decent.

Incredible Member

God no. After this **** show with the X-Men, I’d prefer to never read him again.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    God no. After this **** show with the X-Men, I’d prefer to never read him again.
    What **** show? This is the best and most relevant X-Men has been in years. And the Titans are in more dire need of an attention grabbing shake up than the X-Men were before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Priest is great, but I think the Titans franchise would benefit from going in a lighter direction. There's an underlying cynicism in his Deathstroke which suits the characters he's writing but that tone didn't really work when he wrote JL.

I'll get flamed for saying this, but I'd like Bendis on Titans. He's doing a good job with YJ and Leviathan is decent.
    IDK, I'm not sure Priest would apply the same cynicism to the rest of the Titans because Slade wouldn't be the main character there. Even if he did, a lot of the old Titans stuff as pretty dark, like everything with Raven and Trigon, the Church of Blood and Kory's dynamic with her sister. A lighter direction could be good as well, but light or dark the Titans just need a book that's GOOD and different and gets people excited.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 10-10-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Astonishing Member

From the little I've read of Hickman's work, he seems to favour high concept sci-fi premises and plot heavy long form storytelling. A bit cold and clinical.

I think Titans is at its best when it's a soap opera, when it's about the character relationships first and foremost, when there's some warmth to it.

The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

No, no, no. Hickman is the current writer who has cast a malevolent spell on comic book readers. The last 2 writers who cast such a spell were Bendis and Loeb. Don't be fooled by the Hickman mirage, my compeers. Just say no, no, no to Hickman.
    Take a couple of minutes and check out this new comic book, friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...no-more-crises

Quote Originally Posted by Clairaudient Freedom Soldier View Post
    No, no, no. Hickman is the current writer who has cast a malevolent spell on comic book readers. The last 2 writers who cast such a spell were Bendis and Loeb. Don't be fooled by the Hickman mirage, my compeers. Just say no, no, no to Hickman.
    Bendis's quirks were already present even in his earlier, better work, and they've gotten worse. Loeb was never all that good.

What's the alternative? We wait yet again for DC to half ass a Titans relaunch, and we get more of the likes of Winick and Abnett? I guess beggars CAN be choosers lol.

Incredible Member

What **** show? This is the best and most relevant X-Men has been in years. And the Titans are in more dire need of an attention grabbing shake up than the X-Men were before hand.

IDK, I'm not sure Priest would apply the same cynicism to the rest of the Titans because Slade wouldn't be the main character there. Even if he did, a lot of the old Titans stuff as pretty dark, like everything with Raven and Trigon, the Church of Blood and Kory's dynamic with her sister. A lighter direction could be good as well, but light or dark the Titans just need a book that's GOOD and different and gets people excited.
    Agree to disagree. I think House and Power of X are ****. He completely changed characters and made it a huge mess while simultaneously using the exact same tropes that have been in the books forever. The whole Moira thing just pisses me off. Hey the mutants are making their own nation and humans hate and fear them. Never seen that before. They are becoming more militant. Yep also unoriginal. The only original stuff is his just altering characters out of nowhere.
    I enjoyed Hickmans Fantastic Four run but hated his Avengers, Secret Wars, and now his X-Men. He’s better than Bendis and King but that’s not a high bar.

Glass is kind of hit and miss right now with the Teen Titans. And Titans before Dick went all "Ric"... Yeah. It went downhill pretty fast.

I don't read Marvel, so I can't say Hickman would be preferable. But man, did I get burned last time a Marvel guy came over to DC and took over a series I liked (Bendis).

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Agree to disagree. I think House and Power of X are ****. He completely changed characters and made it a huge mess while simultaneously using the exact same tropes that have been in the books forever. The whole Moira thing just pisses me off. Hey the mutants are making their own nation and humans hate and fear them. Never seen that before. They are becoming more militant. Yep also unoriginal. The only original stuff is his just altering characters out of nowhere.
    I enjoyed Hickmans Fantastic Four run but hated his Avengers, Secret Wars, and now his X-Men. He’s better than Bendis and King but that’s not a high bar.
    Moira is going to be a love it or hate it thing, but she's been dead and in limbo for so long that I can't muster up the energy to care that much. She's a great supporting character that nobody was likely to ever use again anyway. At least this puts her at the forefront and is getting people interested. Aside from that, the cries of characters being OOC just reads as fans overreacting to the characters breaking away from the bland, directionless and repetitive patterns they've been in since Morrison left. Fans don't like change, but sometimes its needed and the fans don't know what's best for a property. Often times this leads to them being a property's own worst enemy. Most of the complaints boil down to "not muh X-Men!" and the Jean fans screaming about imagined slights (and Jean's my favorite!).

If fans are reacting so strongly to this direction, including the Mutants deciding not to put up with humanity's bullshit any longer, than the book must be doing something different to catch attention. if it's been done before, nobody cared that much with the other times.

And the Titans have been either bland or **** since the 80s, getting something half as good would be a God send for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Glass is kind of hit and miss right now with the Teen Titans. And Titans before Dick went all "Ric"... Yeah. It went downhill pretty fast.

I don't read Marvel, so I can't say Hickman would be preferable. But man, did I get burned last time a Marvel guy came over to DC and took over a series I liked (Bendis).
    To be fair, the Titans' best run was created by two former-Marvel creators

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    From the little I've read of Hickman's work, he seems to favour high concept sci-fi premises and plot heavy long form storytelling. A bit cold and clinical.

I think Titans is at its best when it's a soap opera, when it's about the character relationships first and foremost, when there's some warmth to it.
    As said, I imagine it being on a large scale as detailed in the OP. Probably two Titans teams, and maybe even a third affiliate team. It'll probably be like his runs on Avengers and X-Men, but with an emphasis on younger heroes, aka the "Junior Justice League".

Unless I'm wrong, something a whole lot like this thread already happened once.(could be wrong...)

While I wouldn't rule out that Hickman could make it work, I have almost no desire to see the guy go right from the "X-Men" IP to the "Titans" IP.

His "Creator" work is just too interesting. Some "For Hire" is fine. Just not a pair of decent-sized runs back to back.

In addition, you need to think about if it might be time to just let the "Titans" IP be a part of the past.

Yes, because he's a creator i feel they would allow to actually do something with the characters.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-11-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Here's a link to that thread. More of a "Sister" thread than exactly the same topic, but it might be worth a look for interested parties.

- https://community.cbr.com/showthread...hlight=hickman

Priest tends to bring a level of cynicism to just about any superhero book he writes from what I've read. See his Justice League issues or the Wonder Woman: 18th Letter he wrote.