Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Rumor: Disney might buy Spider-Man from Sony for $4-5 billion

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...012845480.html

Geekosity' Has the Goss

The comics rumor mill is swirling again, this time around Spider-Man.

Mikey Sutton, who runs the private Facebook group "Geekosity -- All Things Pop Culture," has apparently leaked another bit of news regarding the webbed warrior.

A Good Track Record

Sutton has a good record of releasing accurate information about the Marvel Comics Universe and the DC Extended Universe before other, perhaps more credible, sources come through with the news. So there isn't much reason not to trust him.

It's Rumored That Disney Wants To Buy Spider-Man

Sutton says Disney is interested in straight-up buying Spider-Man from Sonyso that he stays in the MCU and so that Disney keeps the rights to him.

Apparently Disney doesn't want to wait for Sony and Apple to get moving.

Would They Pay $5B For Our Hero?

Here's the text from "Geekosity":

"SCOOP – 10/9/19: Disney wants to buy Spider-Man."

"While rumors have circulated before the Sony-Disney dispute of such a purchase, it was mere speculation, especially the erroneous high number that was quoted. What I’m hearing is that Disney is looking to offer in the range of $4 to $5 billion for Spider-Man. But now the questions will be asked."

Who's Got the Deepest Pockets?

Sutton says he's only hearing one side of the story, though, and it's coming from Disney.

But Disney does have plenty of cash to throw around, and Sutton adds that they are going to need another superhero:

“Marvel’s most well-known hero, and with Iron Man and Captain America gone, they need an anchor in the MCU.”

We will have to wait until another scrap of information is released to MCU public, who are hungry for answers.
    Hmm, so this might be Disney’s next big purchase. Of course, it’s a rumor, and we should always take it with a grain of salt, but it looks trustworthy. If Disney secures the total rights to Spider-Man from Sony, what do you think this could mean for the IP as a whole?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Hmm, so this might be Disney’s next big purchase. Of course, it’s a rumor, and we should always take it with a grain of salt, but it looks trustworthy. If Disney secures the total rights to Spider-Man from Sony, what do you think this could mean for the IP as a whole?
    If Sony is going to be bought out by Apple, the rights go automatically to Marvel/Disney and for free.

If Sony agree to sell Spider-Man for any money, they are finished as a major studio without their major IP which has been profitable for them with Venom and ITSV.

So I don't know why Disney would offer this much cash for this deal. Feels very unlikely to me.

And the number...remember that Disney bought Lucasfilm (which means Star Wars and Indiana Jones) for $4bn, and that included merchandizing.

Why would they spent that much money for the movie rights of an IP they already own (when they already have merchandising) whose most recent film Far From Home had a US gross of $390 mn, which is about a half of what Black Panther made leave alone IW and Endgame?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    If Sony is going to be bought out by Apple, the rights go automatically to Marvel/Disney and for free.

If Sony agree to sell Spider-Man for any money, they are finished as a major studio without their major IP which has been profitable for them with Venom and ITSV.

So I don't know why Disney would offer this much cash for this deal. Feels very unlikely to me.

And the number...remember that Disney bought Lucasfilm (which means Star Wars and Indiana Jones) for $4bn, and that included merchandizing.

Why would they spent that much money for the movie rights of an IP they already own (when they already have merchandising) whose most recent film Far From Home had a US gross of $390 mn, which is about a half of what Black Panther made leave alone IW and Endgame?
    Because FFH made a Billion alone worldwide, and 390 millions US only is a great deal, especially if you compare the numbers of Europe and China.

Also, Spider-Man is still a gold mine on his own, as everything with his name attached to it is successful business wise in a time period when Spider-Man seems (key word) to be more popular and iconic than Batman and Superman, and for sure more known than anything else Marvel has to throw in (including Iron man and Captain america).

So this is a move that allows Marvel to earn 10 billions in 10 years (at minimum).

Will Sony resist Disney? Only Time will tell, but 5 billions for Spider-Man movie rights its not a stupid move at all.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

That's the same ballpark that Disney bought Marvel as a whole for. Really puts into perspective how lucrative the Spider-Man IP is.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Good God I hope not, Disney have been dragging their foot with Miles Morales and the last thing I want is Disney to get their hands on that. If I recall, one of the reasons the original deal feel through is because Disney wanted more of a say in Sony's Spider properties.
    No, no and more no. Disney was already afraid after the success that Into the Spider Verse was that their movie wouldn't be up to snuff.
    I do not want Disney to have any control of limiting or removing the success that Sony is bringing with their Spider Verse series.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCampy89 View Post
    Also, Spider-Man is still a gold mine on his own, as everything with his name attached to it is successful business wise in a time period when Spider-Man seems (key word) to be more popular and iconic than Batman and Superman, and for sure more known than anything else Marvel has to throw in (including Iron man and Captain america).
    Thing is, they already have merchandise rights. In 2014, Spider-Man merch alone made 1.3 billion:

Keep in mind, in 2014 came out TASM 2, which was considered a box-office failure. There's no need for Disney to pay that quantity of money for a set of movies that come out every 2 years or so. They already have the bigger piece of cake from Spidey's name, they don't need to pay that much money for the movie rights, specially if Sony is indeed selling their film division and Spidey's rights would come back to Disney for free.

This really sounds like a unfound rumor to me. The idea of Disney paying that much for Spider-Man movie rights is ridiculous. This rumor would have been more believable had they not go for such a high price.
    Last edited by Spider-Chan; 10-10-2019 at 02:57 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCampy89 View Post
    Because FFH made a Billion alone worldwide,
    As did Black Panther, Captain Marvel and every single Avengers movie.

...and 390 millions US only is a great deal, especially if you compare the numbers of Europe and China.
    The fact is the actual profitability of any Hollywood movie is largely shaped by US grosses. Grosses in other countries go to distribution, tariffs, customs, and other fees. The most profitable Spider-Man movie is still the first Raimi movie which unadjusted for inflation made $403mn and adjusted made $626mn.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Thing is, they already have merchandise rights. In 2014, Spider-Man merch alone made 1.3 billion:

Keep in mind, in 2014 came out TASM 2, which was considered a box-office failure. There's no need for Disney to pay that quantity of money for a set of movies that come out every 2 years or so. They already have the bigger piece of cake from Spidey's name, they don't need to pay that much money for the movie rights, specially if Sony is indeed selling their film division and Spidey's rights would come back to Disney for free.

This really sounds like a unfound rumor to me. The idea of Disney paying that much for Spider-Man movie rights is ridiculous. This rumor would have been more believable had they not go for such a high price.
    But they don't want to put their hands on the plate and take the biggest slice of the cake.

They want to take the whole cake, and are willing to give Sony the current biggest cake today, to assure 10 big cakes tomorrow.

It is a long run strategy.

What if 1 billion is not a reaching point, but rather a starting point or just a leg to reach 1 billion and half or 2 billions?

Disney wants to monopolize the entertainment industry, and arguably Spider-Man is the biggest franchise in terms of entertainment.

There may be laws that forbids monopolies, but rest assured that Disney will push itself to the very boundaries of those laws.

It wouldn't be a monopoly since he is a character that they already own. There would be the same kind of merchandise there already is, and there would be already Spider-Man movies every two years or so.

This thread debunks this rumor and makes a really good breakdown about why paying that kind of money is bad idea. In summary, it would take around 20 years for Disney to recover 4 billion.

Again, had the quantity being lower I would have believed that there's certain truth to this rumor, but 4-5 billion for a franchise that only one of their movies has made a billion? Add to that the possibility of getting it free anyway.

As people mentioned, Marvel already owns the rights to Spider-Man merchandise and the brand. It's the film rights they don't own, so paying $4 billion for JUST the film rights, especially right after that recent Sony deal AND right on the cusps of the possible Apple buyout, it would be extremely dumb of them to waste away all that money on that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Good God I hope not, Disney have been dragging their foot with Miles Morales and the last thing I want is Disney to get their hands on that. If I recall, one of the reasons the original deal feel through is because Disney wanted more of a say in Sony's Spider properties.
    No, no and more no. Disney was already afraid after the success that Into the Spider Verse was that their movie wouldn't be up to snuff.
    I do not want Disney to have any control of limiting or removing the success that Sony is bringing with their Spider Verse series.
    Most of this sounds not true and made up to an extent

Arrow

I hope Disney does buy the rights or obtains said rights in some other fashion (the possible Sony + Apple merger). As a fan, I find it incredibly frustrating that large parts of Spidey's mythos including some traditional villains and supporting cast members can't be used in certain media formats. I'd rather all Spider-Man rights were under one umbrella so creative freedom isn't hamstrung.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Niffleheim

Money down the drain and a bad business move. Disney already owns what is lucrative about Spider-Man why would they waste money on owning the movie rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Money down the drain and a bad business move. Disney already owns what is lucrative about Spider-Man why would they waste money on owning the movie rights?
    Ummm, maybe because the last movie made a billion dollars.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Ummm, maybe because the last movie made a billion dollars.
    1) Money which largely went to Sony.

2) Of those billion, only $390mn is from US grosses which is the lion's share of the movie's actual profitability. International grosses have all kinds of asterisks and stuff attached to it depending on the market. In terms of US grosses, FFH made less than Raimi's Spider-Man 1.

3) Disney/Marvel already have many billion dollar grossing movies like Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and the Avengers movies. And in those cases, most of the profits come from US grosses. Ergo, their billion dollars means more than FFH's.