Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Mastermind Excello, It doesn't even roll off the tongue let alone look aesthetically pleasing in type/print. Ideally a good name would be both if there's any hope of it selling a magazine.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Mighty Member

Goldballs. Nothing else even comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Goldballs. Nothing else even comes close.
    To be fair, isn't Goldballs intended by creation to be a ridiculous codename? It sounds like Paste-Pot Pete in terms of badness, making me think it couldn't be a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    To be fair, isn't Goldballs intended by creation to be a ridiculous codename? It sounds like Paste-Pot Pete in terms of badness, making me think it couldn't be a mistake.
    Yeah, it was intended to not be a "good" name. Just an accurate one that nobody could think of a less silly alternative for. The character initially rejected it, but it grew on him. I think it served the intended purpose, and actually has some hallmarks of a solid superhero name if you can get over the interpretation of it as a crude joke: It accurately reflects his abilities, and references a shape/colour that can easily be worked into a logo or trade dress.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 10-11-2019 at 05:08 PM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Yeah, it was intended to not be a "good" name. Just an accurate one that nobody could think of a less silly alternative for. The character initially rejected it, but it grew on him. I think it served the intended purpose, and actually has some hallmarks of a solid superhero name if you can get over the interpretation of it as a crude joke: It accurately reflects his abilities, and references a shape/colour that can easily be worked into a logo or trade dress.
    And then Hickman made the balls into actual eggs, so the crude jokes are back stronger than ever

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    And then Hickman made the balls into actual eggs, so the crude jokes are back stronger than ever
    Yeah, I can't say I cared for that. I mean, I'm happy as a clam that Fabio is playing a major role in things but that certainly is an odd one to inhabit. Never really associated it with the name, but it's not too much of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Mastermind Excello, It doesn't even roll off the tongue let alone look aesthetically pleasing in type/print. Ideally a good name would be both if there's any hope of it selling a magazine.
    Wasn't the golden age version only ever in anthology books? And while Amadeus Cho later used that name, it wasn't actually used much past his debut. During his time as sidekick to Hercules, he became known as Prince of Power, and that remained until he became the Totally Awesome Hulk. His current name, Brawn, doesn't sound great in isolation, but it would make a good name for a solo book if they give his sister Maddy (who's almost as intelligent as he is) the name Brains. Brains and Brawn, you see!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Goldballs has got to be the worst code name ever. There isn't even a close second to that one. Paste Pot Pete looks brilliant compared to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wasn't the golden age version only ever in anthology books? And while Amadeus Cho later used that name, it wasn't actually used much past his debut. During his time as sidekick to Hercules, he became known as Prince of Power, and that remained until he became the Totally Awesome Hulk. His current name, Brawn, doesn't sound great in isolation, but it would make a good name for a solo book if they give his sister Maddy (who's almost as intelligent as he is) the name Brains. Brains and Brawn, you see!
    I see what you're going for. It's like how Cloak or Dagger sound rather plain and unimportant on their own, but put them together, and it means something big. I remember they even acknowledged that themselves.

Iron Lad.

‘Nuf said
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Anole.

Especially said out loud.

I am in awe of how many people seem to not get that Goldballs is meant to be a bad codename.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Blue Marvel.

It's 1960. There are probably less than 50 known superheroes and villains all totaled at this time, so you basically have your choice of names. You're a brilliant man, certified genius. Your powers, although you don't exactly have a grasp of all of the things that you can do with them, nevertheless make you the most powerful being on the planet. You are a living, breathing, flagship hero by every measure. But instead of taking a truly inspiring name, you choose … The Blue Marvel. Disappointing.

Don't get me wrong: I've grown to like the name now. And I see how a name like that harkens back to the Golden Age where similar names were quite common. But come on, man! Put a little more effort into the name, and people will never forget you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Should have been Trapmaster. Trapster sounds like a douchebro nickname.
    Great idea. Trapster is fine, but Trapmaster does have a bit of heft to it.

Quote Originally Posted by hotroddii View Post
    Anole.

Especially said out loud.
    Is that Latin or something? How did he get that name? The most obvious name for his powers, Chameleon, was taken though.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman