Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Character(s) Have Had the Most Consistent/Inconsistent Portrayals?

As with any long lasting character's in fiction, different writers are usually going to give either slightly different or vastly different portrayals of how they think that character should act.

Of the X-Men, which character(s) do you think have been portrayed the same throughout their existence?

On the flip side, which character(s) do you think have had the most inconsistent portrayals?

Magneto qualifies for inconsistent, if only for Kirby-Lee Magneto being your typical over-the-top stock supervillain versus his later anti-villain/anti-hero portrayal with a tragic backstory, as cemented by Claremont.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Wolverine is inconsistent quite often because he's in too many books, and in one book he's a killing machine, the other he's the nicest guy, one he hates Cyclops, the other he's buddies with him, etc.

BANNED

X-23 is an odd case.

On the one hand, she's experienced probably the most extreme evolution of any other character in the X-Men, from virtually-mute abused teen prostitute in her first appearance, to actually sounding NORMAL in her most recent appearance. OTOH, other than a few outliers (looking at you, Hopeless) her characterization at each stage of her development has been generally consistent, though some writers tend to veer a little more extreme.

Incredible Member

As far as consistent I'd say Iceman for better or worse. Aside from him coming out as gay, Bobby's characterization has been pretty consistent the last 40 years and any sort of development he gets Bobby always seems to be reset back to factory settings of immature jokester.

As far as inconsistent goes I'd say Polaris. She seems to be different to whoever writes her in the last few years that ive seen.
    Last edited by petrefax; 10-11-2019 at 02:43 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

There's also Beast. He's either written as if he's still on the Avengers or he's the Morrison version.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Rachel Summers, Magneto, Beast, and X-23 are up there for me in terms of lack of consistent voices or characterizations.

Wolverine by far, due to appearing in more books and having way more writers at the helm/too many cooks in the kitchen. To a lesser extent, Sabretooth, Storm, Deadpool, and maybe Cyclops.

Probably Beast in a short period of time he was from an ethical person to the end justifies the means without any plausible explanation.

For consistency, I think I would agree with the above poster and say Bobby.

Inconsistency, holy there are so many. I would say Rachel and Lorna are top of the list for inconsistent portrayal. After that a lot of characters but Magneto, Emma, Jean, Logan, it just keeps going on, you can practically pick anyone other than Bobby.

Even Kitty Pryde has been incredibly inconsistent ever since Mekanix. I think Mekanix was the last time that I thought her growth as a character was accurate. Some of the time she was in Guardians after Peter had to leave and she was taking over being StarLord, I thought that was actually a pretty good progression for her.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Wolverine. There are simply too many comics, too many writers, too many ideas of how Logan is.

BANNED

Magik 2.0 is pretty much whatever the writer wants her to be at that specific time (nihilist troll, mutant revolutionary, Cyclops hater, emotional wreck, Xavier true believer).

Fantastic Member SchismOfMadroces's Avatar

Least consistent has a lot of contenders. Wolverine for his proliferation, as others have said. Magneto and Polaris both have some inconsistencies, but I could have sworn that it was mentioned somewhere that their magnetic powers might be responsible for shifts in temperament. Ultimate Pyro deserves a mention as probably the most drastic, unexplained difference between the two writers that used him.

Most consistent is ForgetMeNot. It's not even close.

Emma Frost has been quite inconsistent from Secret Wars up to Hickman's run. She was full-blown evil in some places (mostly under the X-Office) while she was more of an anti-hero and/or diplomat for mutants in other places (Secret Empire's main title and Jessica Jones were some very good portrayals imo, while she was character assassinated in Blue and IvX). During Rosenberg she wasn't even consistent from issue to issue lol, at first she looked like a victim of Callahan looking to turn the tables, then she started acting crazy again and then she was kind of heroic in the end. A mess.

Inconsistent portrayal is weird thing to say. The you in high school, The married you, The you after a parent or friend die, The you after learn some new truth are all different. And also people point of views can be hypocritical or even random. Wolverine can be the nicest guy good with kids and man who murder people.

Yes they can be characters written inconsistently I think Chuck Austen run is good example but I think some "inconsistency" people are in line what changing viewpoints at the time. People are saying the current X-men are acting different but coming from age of X-man and Rosenbergs run and the addition of Krakoa wouldn't people viewpoint evolve?