Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Uh, I think the only thing from Kelly Thompson I read is her current run in Captain Marvel, which is pretty mediocre so far, does she have anything better?
    Rogue and Gambit, Jessica Jones, Mr and Mrs X, West Coast Avengers, Hawkeye
    Last edited by WebSlingWonder; 10-11-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Rogue and Gambit, Jessica Jones, Mr and Mrs X, West Coast Avengers, Hawkeye
    Thanks, I'll check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Thanks, I'll check them out.
    Mr and Mrs X is flat out just an amazing read. Non stop fun as hell for the entire series. It’s an absolute shame that it wasn’t an ongoing. Even if you aren’t a Rogue/Gambit fan I would still recommend it. It was that good.

That doesn't negate the fact that he was an openly gay writer who wrote a superhero book. And I'm sure he's not the only one.
    There are a decent number of openly gay and bisexual superhero comics writers.

Steve Orlando has done a lot of superhero comics, including a thirty issue run on Justice League of America.

Marc Andreyko had a thirty issue run on Manhunter. He currently writes Supergirl.

Allen Heinburg wrote Young Avengers.

Robert Rodi wrote Elektra, Rogue and various Thor projects.

There are also several openly bisexual writers who have worked for Marvel and DC, including Kieron Gillen, James Tynion IV, Devin Grayson and Kate Leth.

Relevant to Spider-Man, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is openly gay and has had runs on Marvel Knights 4, Nightcrawler and The Sensational Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That's good and steps in the right direction but both are satellite titles and not main ones...

When a LGBT writer gets to do the major Batman title without it being a big deal then there will be progress. Batman is an aggressively heteronormative title ever since Frederic Wertham and it's also been consistently the industry benchmark superhero title.

And I still think there are hurdles for her or any female writer to be on the major titles.
    A bisexual man is the next Batman writer, and it's so not a big deal, you haven't even heard about his sexual orientation.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09...ng-the-robins/

https://twitter.com/jamesthefourth/s...352192?lang=en
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

That is true. It's all too frustrating to read said writer is put on a book just because of their skin color or gender (or even orientation). If Thompson has a good pitch, they should be all for it regardless of her gender. That said, would she even want it? Like you mentioned, she would automatically be targeted unfortunately by those who think themselves "superior" (they're not).
    I doubt Marvel cares that much, but there will be some idiots online complaining about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Is that really it, or the comparative lack of female comic book writers? People like Ann Nocenti and Louise Simonson in the '80s were like the only female comic book writers in the industry. It certainly was like finding a needle in a haystack. Sure, it's grown a lot since, but the men still greatly outnumber the women here.

To be fair, pigeonholing is a thing. As in "black writer gets black character, female writer gets female character etc" which isn't inherently wrong because they'd likely relate easier on a personal level in this case, but can cause problems if done badly. Priest (formerly Jim Owsley) ran into this issue where despite his talent he got considered a "black" writer and that's all he was offered for a long time. Saladin Ahmed broke it pretty well -- a Muslim male writer who's done white (Black Bolt/Quicksilver), diverse team-oriented (Exiles), Afro-Latino (Miles Morales: Spider-Man), and a female-led (Magnificent Ms. Marvel) titles. If he can break it and be recognized as "a writer" and not "a Muslim writer", then that gives hope for others.

Point is, I don't think they'd refuse Kelly Thompson just for being a woman.
    I agree with you, but it is easy for writers to be pigeonholed. It is also worth noting that Saladin Ahmed currently writes books about a Muslim protagonist (Ms. Marvel) and a brown protagonist (the Miles Morales Spider-Man) although that doesn't suggest that if he had refused those books, he'd be offered Daredevil (just to give an example.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Though Ms. Marvel is a case of write what you know, since, like her first writer, G Willow Wilson, he's a Muslim. Bear in mind, the book that ended to make room in his schedule for Magnificent Ms. Marvel was Exiles - which featured an AU Kamala.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    In Marvel's current stable of writers, the big writers would be Jason Aaron, Donny Cates, Ta-Nehisi Coates or Johnathan Hickman. It probably wouldn't be Hickman for several more years given that he just kicked off a big X-Men relaunch, and that seems to be his dream project.
    Hickman has said X-Men was the last thing on his bucket list at Marvel - it's likely that once he's done with that, he'll go over to DC. DC were already trying to get him to come over to do Legion of Super Heroes, but then X-Men came up, and at around the same time Bendis went over to DC (with Legion being one of his books).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 10-12-2019 at 08:33 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I don't think writers like Hickman, Morrisson, or King would be good fits for Spider-Man.

Kelly Thompson...I think I could see her writing a satellite or a book spotlighting the female cast/characters more then I do the flagship. Not to say I'd be against it though.

Astonishing Member

Keep King the **** away from Spider-Man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Keep King the **** away from Spider-Man.
    I remember a time when Tom King was the great hope of comics. He wrote Grayson and fans campaigned that he write Batman. He had much love for The Vision, and his Mister Miracle series was super-anticipated. People were even wondering if he was Alan Moore 2.0. These days he's Electric Boogaloo. I must admit that his overuse of the 9-Panel Grid feels pretty amusing unintentionally so...though it fit well with Mister Miracle.

I still think he's a pretty solid writer and I'd take a look at stuff he does. And you know War of Jokes and Riddles was a cool Batman story with great scenes and ideas, Riddler finally became a thing again, and of course "Ballad of the Kite Man" was a cool story (though I think Spencer's Gibbon HU story is maybe better).

Is there anything in his Batman/DC run you like/enjoy?

Astonishing Member

I remember a time when Tom King was the great hope of comics. He wrote Grayson and fans campaigned that he write Batman. He had much love for The Vision, and his Mister Miracle series was super-anticipated. People were even wondering if he was Alan Moore 2.0. These days he's Electric Boogaloo. I must admit that his overuse of the 9-Panel Grid feels pretty amusing unintentionally so...though it fit well with Mister Miracle.

I still think he's a pretty solid writer and I'd take a look at stuff he does. And you know War of Jokes and Riddles was a cool Batman story with great scenes and ideas, Riddler finally became a thing again, and of course "Ballad of the Kite Man" was a cool story (though I think Spencer's Gibbon HU story is maybe better).

I love The Vision and liked Grayson so I was happy King got the flagship Batman book. The only thing I really liked was Batman Annual #2, his best Batman story. I also liked I Am Bane. Those are the ones that come to mind. I LOVE Grant Morrison's Batman run and Scott Snyder's was mostly great but King's, no. Heroes in Crisis sucked.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I also liked I Am Bane.
    To King's credit, he's done right with Bane in making him work outside of Knightfall which a lot of writers had problems with.

I LOVE Grant Morrison's Batman run
    Same here. That to me is the last great run on Batman's. Really weird, funny, bizarre, and so on. I am far less enthused on Snyder though.

To King's credit, he's done right with Bane in making him work outside of Knightfall which a lot of writers had problems with.

Same here. That to me is the last great run on Batman's. Really weird, funny, bizarre, and so on. I am far less enthused on Snyder though.
    Bane was well developed in Secret Six by Gail Simone, which came after Knightfall.

BANNED

Bane was well developed in Secret Six by Gail Simone, which came after Knightfall.
    Thanks for that recommendation.

I think it's worth pointing out that he had Tim Seeley as a co-writer on Grayson. That book was as much Seeley as it was King.

Speaking of which, I think Seeley could write a solid Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Mr and Mrs X is flat out just an amazing read. Non stop fun as hell for the entire series. It’s an absolute shame that it wasn’t an ongoing. Even if you aren’t a Rogue/Gambit fan I would still recommend it. It was that good.
    Well, I'm not a fan of Jessica Jones and I found her mini to be good, although I may be noticing a pattern here, her Captain Marvel run didn't have any interesting villains, and the villain in Jessica Jones was wack, perhaps she struggles with villains.

But then again, there's more to read until I can confirm if such a pattern is there, maybe those two are just bad days when it comes to villains.