Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Well, I'm not a fan of Jessica Jones and I found her mini to be good, although I may be noticing a pattern here, her Captain Marvel run didn't have any interesting villains, and the villain in Jessica Jones was wack, perhaps she struggles with villains.

But then again, there's more to read until I can confirm if such a pattern is there, maybe those two are just bad days when it comes to villains.
    To be fair, both Jessica Jones and Captain Marvel have never really had a good variety of antagonists, so I don't completely blame her given she didn't really have too much to work with. I think if given the villain gallery size of someone like Spider-Man, she'd be able to wonders with those.

In terms of her other series, really liked her portrayal of Madame Masque in Hawkeye, she turned Captain Phasma into an actual interesting character in that mini, and in the IDW Jem book she turned the Misfits into fully three-dimensional characters, so I wouldn't say she's completely weak in terms of villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    To be fair, both Jessica Jones and Captain Marvel have never really had a good variety of antagonists, so I don't completely blame her given she didn't really have too much to work with. I think if given the villain gallery size of someone like Spider-Man, she'd be able to wonders with those.

In terms of her other series, really liked her portrayal of Madame Masque in Hawkeye, she turned Captain Phasma into an actual interesting character in that mini, and in the IDW Jem book she turned the Misfits into fully three-dimensional characters, so I wouldn't say she's completely weak in terms of villains.
    Well, she used that Nuclear Man in Captain Marvel, and those 5 issues with him were meh, and there's also Star, who's someone she created, but the whole mystery about her sucked, since Rippley barely showed up, and her entire personality was basically a reporter in one issue, slandering Carol in another, a hero in a few issues, and a villain in another, and apparently whatever happens in #11 is worth her getting a mini? With what the character has shown so far, eh lol.

Jessica Jones had the characters who can warp reality and they were whatever.

But hey, maybe Nuclear Man is always wack, and creating an interesting villain is difficult, but I'm keeping those things in mind.

It's funny you mention Jem when the actual canonical "main villain" of the series (Eric Raymond) had a much smaller role in the comic series .
    Well, she used that Nuclear Man in Captain Marvel, and those 5 issues with him were meh, and there's also Star, who's someone she created, but the whole mystery about her sucked, since Rippley barely showed up, and her entire personality was basically a reporter in one issue, slandering Carol in another, a hero in a few issues, and a villain in another, and apparently whatever happens in #11 is worth her getting a mini? With what the character has shown so far, eh lol.
    The thing I don't get with Star is Marvel really trying to push her as this success story when she's only existed for five minutes.

Were people that keen on Carol having this female rival character? Did everyone forget Moonstone exists?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The thing I don't get with Star is Marvel really trying to push her as this success story when she's only existed for five minutes.
    Yeah, I learned about her from an article in CBR, and it mentions that everyone in the Captain Marvel team likes her and they can't wait to make the mini, plus her design is cool, even if it's basicaly kinda-reversed-Power-Girl-with-no-cleavage, since she covers her legs, but leaves her arms exposed, but anyways, when I actually look at the comics and... Yeah, not of those characters who can quickly make me interested, or even close to it.

Were people that keen on Carol having this female rival character? Did everyone forget Moonstone exists?
    Well, she initially could steal Carol's powers, but now she's stealing from civilians, maybe they just want a "Not-Rogue" for Carol to beat up

Jessica Jones had the characters who can warp reality and they were whatever.

But hey, maybe Nuclear Man is always wack, and creating an interesting villain is difficult, but I'm keeping those things in mind.
    I actually really enjoyed the first Captain Marvel arc, though I agree Nuclear Man was just kind of uninteresting, only really served his purpose in getting the story going. Star hasn't been too compelling so far, but she is brand new which is why I give her slightly more leeway.

And in terms of antagonists for Jessica Jones, they've never been interesting outside of the Purple Man even in the original series, so that's why the guy with the split personality not being that interesting isn't too much of a knock against her.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I think it's because this most recent arc has been selling really well and with multiple printings, so they believe she's successful enough to handle a mini-series on her own.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Rogue and Gambit, Jessica Jones, Mr and Mrs X, West Coast Avengers, Hawkeye
    Hawkeye, Rogue and Gambit, and Mr and Mrs X are fantastic (Especially the last two.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I remember a time when Tom King was the great hope of comics. He wrote Grayson and fans campaigned that he write Batman. He had much love for The Vision, and his Mister Miracle series was super-anticipated. People were even wondering if he was Alan Moore 2.0. These days he's Electric Boogaloo. I must admit that his overuse of the 9-Panel Grid feels pretty amusing unintentionally so...though it fit well with Mister Miracle.

I still think he's a pretty solid writer and I'd take a look at stuff he does. And you know War of Jokes and Riddles was a cool Batman story with great scenes and ideas, Riddler finally became a thing again, and of course "Ballad of the Kite Man" was a cool story (though I think Spencer's Gibbon HU story is maybe better).

Is there anything in his Batman/DC run you like/enjoy?
    I've discussed King at length over on the Batman thread and I personally feel he is the type of writer who works well when given a finite run. It's no mistake that his best stuff is on books such as Vision and Mister Miracle. It forces him to be economical with his writing and to keep the plotting tight/on point. However, give the guy an ongoing and he has a terrible habit of his attention wandering (which is most apparent with the Knight Terrors arc).

I've enjoyed about 3/4 of his Batman run so far and I believe his run will be reappraised once he is done. I also believe it will receive better reception as well. Because his whole plan will be finally laid bare for all to see. Right now, many feel he is all over the place. To be fair, they aren't wrong.

As for his Heroes In Crisis? Yeah, It was bad. However, I don't lay the blame for that solely with him. That thing clearly got molested by editorial. The story that became HIC was originally meant to be a smaller, more personal story running 5 issues. King spoke at length about it well before it was even announced. Then, when it was made official, it was suddenly an "event" and was now 7 issues. It suddenly became 9 around issue #4/5. That is why it was so disjointed and padded.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

My dream picks, as unlikely as they would be, are Matt Fraction, Chris Yost, or Joe Kelly - though I don't think any of them are currently writing a Marvel comic series.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    My dream picks, as unlikely as they would be, are Matt Fraction, Chris Yost, or Joe Kelly - though I don't think any of them are currently writing a Marvel comic series.
    Ooh, I would love Joe Kelly on the book! He did some of favorite BND stories

I think it's because this most recent arc has been selling really well and with multiple printings, so they believe she's successful enough to handle a mini-series on her own.
    I guess I can see that, but it feels hard to quantify that into a desire to see more Star rather then just interest in the actual book picking up.

It's like how they used the sales of Silk's debut to launch her into an ongoing series even when response to her was okay at best. People only really came around to her when Robbie Thompson revamped her character.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Ooh, I would love Joe Kelly on the book! He did some of favorite BND stories
    Yeah I don't think he's ever had an extended Spider-Man run but I've thoroughly enjoyed most of his Spidey stories - from the likes of American Son/Grim Hunt, to stuff like his recent Spider-Man/Deadpool work.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quite happy with Spencer now, tbh. I imagine he’ll be able to pull off a 5 or so year run at the rate he’s going and the stories he is juggling.

Donny Cates would be nice to see on Spidey, I could imagine him being inspired by JMS and especially Morlun-style villains.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Quite happy with Spencer now, tbh. I imagine he’ll be able to pull off a 5 or so year run at the rate he’s going and the stories he is juggling.

Donny Cates would be nice to see on Spidey, I could imagine him being inspired by JMS and especially Morlun-style villains.
    Cates has said that he admires JMS except for Sins’ Past.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Cates has said that he admires JMS except for Sins’ Past.
    Yeah, he did a retelling of Doomed Affairs in Cosmic Ghost Rider Destroys Marvel History.

Even JMS doesn't like Sins Past.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    Yeah, he did a retelling of Doomed Affairs in Cosmic Ghost Rider Destroys Marvel History.
    Cates didn't write CGR Destroys the Marvels History. That was Paul Scheer and Nick Giovannetti. I did like that issue though and it's great that Doomed Affairs is canonized as a classic which that confirms.

It's kind of impressive how JMS' run has so many admirers among Marvel's current crop - Zdarsky and Cates are the two most prominent ones but there are others like Kevin Feige.