Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Honestly, this is one of my favorite lines just because of how silly it is, plus it shows he doesn't give a damn about doing good, just wants his dumb wish lol.

How many of them are older than 16?
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Kind of embarrassing for doom fans.
    In regards to the bolded, I think it's more emblematic of a level of pernicious misogyny permeating certain corners of comics fandom, which is sadly nothing new, but has become more visible and virulent as comics have attempted to broaden their appeal and fanbase. Aside from that, I take Sauron's statement in Spider-Man and the X-Men as a scathing indictment of comic book super-geniuses who feasibly could cure cancer and/or other ailments endemic to the human condition, but don't for whatever reason.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    In regards to the bolded, I think it's more emblematic of a level of pernicious misogyny permeating certain corners of comics fandom, which is sadly nothing new, but has become more visible and virulent as comics have attempted to broaden their appeal and fanbase.
    It could be misogyny, sure, but I find it less likely here because it's Doom "roasting" someone, mocking them for not being important and how much he doesn't care about them, teenagers are the ones who may enjoy this more because it makes a character look "savage", and to pick an example that isn't about comic books, I see it a lot in Dragon Ball FighterZ "roast" videos, and what Doom is doing here is of similar nature, only more vulgar.

So again, it could be misogyny, but if I'm right that it's just people enjoying someone being "savage", I doubt sex is of any importance to why people would like this.

Aside from that, I take Sauron's statement in Spider-Man and the X-Men as a scathing indictment of comic book super-geniuses who feasibly could cure cancer and/or other ailments endemic to the human condition, but don't for whatever reason.
    Well to be fair, you'd only want to cure cancer for two reasons, money or empathy, or perhaps both, and villains usually just like being evil, so empathy is out of the question, money could be a reason, but, again, liking being evil could get in the way, and Sauron just wants people to be dinosaurs, why should he care about curing cancer? Other villains could also just have a "I don't want to" mentality as well.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-11-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

It could be misogyny, sure, but I find it less likely here because it's Doom "roasting" someone, mocking them for not being important and how much he doesn't care about them, teenagers are the ones who may enjoy this more because it makes a character look "savage", and to pick an example that isn't about comic books, I see it a lot in Dragon Ball FighterZ "roast" videos, and what Doom is doing here is of similar nature, only more vulgar.

So again, it could be misogyny, but if I'm right that it's just people enjoying someone being "savage", I doubt sex is of any importance to why people would like this.

Well to be fair, you'd only want to cure cancer for two reasons, money or empathy, or perhaps both, and villains usually just like being evil, so empathy is out of the question, money could be a reason, but, again, liking being evil could get in the way, and Sauron just wants people to be dinosaurs, why should he care about curing cancer? Other villains could also just have a "I don't want to" mentality as well.
    I can see your point, but only if Doom's words in that panel are completely removed from the context in which they were presented, seeing as the character he's speaking to is one who has become a, if not the, symbol of everything a certain contingent of comics fandom deeply despises and resents, if not fears, about contemporary comics. Beyond that, the kind of vulgarity on display in that panel, however relatively flowery his phrasing might have been, is just beneath the likes of Doom.

As for your other point, yeah, villains might not want to cure cancer for anything but profit, seeing as they typically have no empathy --- Norman Osborn weaponized a cancer cure he had discovered or invented just to finish off Deadpool back during Dark Reign, for an example --- but what about the geniuses that are (supposed to be) heroes? Why aren't they working on a cure for cancer, or concentrating on anything else that could revolutionize human society for the better?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The answer is simple: Because superhero comics are based on the appeal that all this fantastical stuff could happen in our world. People who read and write about superheroes aren't there for a story where humankind colonizes the solar system. Leave that to sci-fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    As for your other point, yeah, villains might not want to cure cancer for anything but profit, seeing as they typically have no empathy --- Norman Osborn weaponized a cancer cure he had discovered or invented just to finish off Deadpool back during Dark Reign, for an example --- but what about the geniuses that are (supposed to be) heroes? Why aren't they working on a cure for cancer, or concentrating on anything else that could revolutionize human society for the better?
    'Cause super heroes like to be like real life in some ways, and that includes how advanced technology is for the people overall, plus that makes it easier for every writer, you don't have to know that Reed made a flying car for everyone that one time so everyone should have it, basing it on what's around the real world gives less headaches, plus I doubt those editors who half ass with continuity would wanna keep track of that.

Although something like cancer you could just point out that companies ask the likes of Reed to not do it, and he accepts to not **** over a whole business, 'cause y'know, chemo therapy is multibillion industry, if Reed makes some pills that cure cancer easy peasy, then they would be fucked.

It's just funny though, having this idea that comic books need to have similarities with real life, yet fucking Wakanda, Latveria, Atlantis and whatever else exist, which couldn't be more fictional if they tried, also aliens being confirmed and all.

Basically, comic books work better if you turn off your brain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    "Oh no! I've been beat by these delicious hostess fruit pies!"
    That's not dumb, that just plain logic.

'Cause super heroes like to be like real life in some ways, and that includes how advanced technology is for the people overall, plus that makes it easier for every writer, you don't have to know that Reed made a flying car for everyone that one time so everyone should have it, basing it on what's around the real world gives less headaches, plus I doubt those editors who half ass with continuity would wanna keep track of that.

Although something like cancer you could just point out that companies ask the likes of Reed to not do it, and he accepts to not **** over a whole business, 'cause y'know, chemo therapy is multibillion industry, if Reed makes some pills that cure cancer easy peasy, then they would be fucked.

It's just funny though, having this idea that comic books need to have similarities with real life, yet fucking Wakanda, Latveria, Atlantis and whatever else exist, which couldn't be more fictional if they tried, also aliens being confirmed and all.

Basically, comic books work better if you turn off your brain.
    I wouldn't say that. They have a weird sort of logic to them that you have to adjust your brain, rather than turn it off, to understand. There are two sides of superhero comics: the mundane and the fantastic. A major part of what makes them work is that the two co-exist. Lean too heavily to the former, it becomes boring. Lean too heavily to the latter, it becomes alien. It's like the porridge, it's gotta be just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I wouldn't say that. They have a weird sort of logic to them that you have to adjust your brain, rather than turn it off, to understand. There are two sides of superhero comics: the mundane and the fantastic. A major part of what makes them work is that the two co-exist. Lean too heavily to the former, it becomes boring. Lean too heavily to the latter, it becomes alien. It's like the porridge, it's gotta be just right.
    I meant turning off your brain as in to not overthink comic books, because if comic books were 1% realistic, there's absolutely no way it would be "mostly normal with occasional alien invasion", super heroes would shape the world, for better and worse.

So my point is, it's dumb fun, we have aliens co-existing with magic, science so advanced it might as well be magic, super powerful people, who also refuse to stay dead, a justice system that refuses to execute people who certainly are trying to make the biggest genociders in history look like raging toddlers by comparison, and so on, we have all of this nonsense and somehow the world is practically the same? Yeah, if you take it too seriously, it's a horribly writen, overbloated, inconsistent universe, but if you turn off your brain, just enough to appreciate the dumb fun, then there's plenty of fun stories you can read.

And before anyone else misunderstands, I'm not saying you should read comic books while not thinking at all, standards are important and stories should be appreciated with some thought behind it, big cool fights are interesting, but things like characters, setting, adventure, dialogue and whatnot are necessary for it all to have some meaning, plus those things also make big cool fights even better, so win/win .

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    How did that get past editors, and who is the character he is talking to?
    Baby Thanos

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    How did that get past editors, and who is the character he is talking to?
    Carol Danvers as Ms. Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    This is fantastic. Winner winner.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Bor is not really a villain but
    Not sure I'd count this one, as its clearly a bit of Sera embellishment (shes narrating the story). I honestly never understood the raging hatred for this panel.

BANNED

Talk about making dumb statements
    20191012110343.jpg
    He is just a broken deluded foolish old man.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Carol Danvers as Ms. Marvel.
    Ok I knew I hated Dr. Doom for a good reason
    Baby Thanos

Eddie Brock's reasoning that Stan Carter (the Sin-Eater) would have stopped his killings knowing that he'd get off scot free. That self-justification shows how little Brock realizes that he screwed up.