9 42.86%
  • Compartmentalise/split

7 33.33%
  • Fine as is

5 23.81%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Seeing as the current timeline has a single Superman, I don't expect any of us will get what we want. But I like the split Superman idea and with a few tweaks can see merit in the "man of action", Man of tomorrow", "Man of steel" description above.

First, I'd make the current guy the only Clark Kent unless there is some time-shenanigans involved like Bored at 3:00AM has in his DC history.

I'd have the first version be a sort of amalgamation between Iron Munro and Morrison's New-52 guy. He's not Kryptonian but rather the result of a Gladiator type experimentation. He's a contemporary of the JSA, fought the Ultra-Humanaite, had the triangle for two romance and like the JSA he's gone into the shadows after the government turns on them.

The second version is the Pre-Crisis Earth-One version but with more Bronze-Age sensibilities. Raised by a farm couple, debuted as a young (teens) Superboy, adventured in the future with the Legion. Left to try finding Krypton- his son was sent back to Earth and became the current Superman. Main enemies: Brainiac, Zod, Mongul

And then the current version
    Thanks for the shout out. Time shenanigans ahoy!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Obviously, I'm biased here, but I think there's no way to look at Superman's crazy history of endless revisions and reboots as anything resembling the life of a normal man because he's decidedly not normal, he's a Superman, so his life should as larger than life and time-bendingly inconsistent as it really is.

I think splitting him into different incarnations who can interact with each other is awesome, too, but they shouldn't ever try to pretend that they aren't all Superman. He's Superman, which means he can be all these different guys and more. He's the originator of an entire genre. There's no way a guy like that will ever be pinned down to one definitive take.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Thanks for the shout out. Time shenanigans ahoy!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Obviously, I'm biased here, but I think there's no way to look at Superman's crazy history of endless revisions and reboots as anything resembling the life of a normal man because he's decidedly not normal, he's a Superman, so his life should as larger than life and time-bendingly inconsistent as it really is.

I think splitting him into different incarnations who can interact with each other is awesome, too, but they shouldn't ever try to pretend that they aren't all Superman. He's Superman, which means he can be all these different guys and more. He's the originator of an entire genre. There's no way a guy like that will ever be pinned down to one definitive take.
    Oh! I wasn't saying they aren't supermen.my description clearly states "supermen of three worlds". I just want to see the major transformation through out the past 80 years to be addressed in an effective manner. Since, this will give back the nuances and treatment as a character not as an archetype.
    For, instance suppose all three of them do meets. They will different perspectives of the world. Consider a situation where clark is taking on corrupt business man who has blood on his hands. They will all react differently to the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Oh! I am sure,They will reboot and collapse this thing whatever they are calling it. But, if it gets sustained for years like the original multiverse concept. We can have good stories with various versions. I mean, if superman is getting replaced. Atleast, i hope we get something good out of it. I mean, both precrisis guys were in doomsday clock. It's in atleast geoff johns mind. So, this is my wish full thinking that we will get some books or cameo or something from other 4 generations of "superman - clar kent/kal el".
    Marvel has done sweeping retcons, but they probably saw that CoIE was bad and chose not repeat the mistake.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Oh! I wasn't saying they aren't supermen.my description clearly states "supermen of three worlds". I just want to see the major transformation through out the past 80 years to be addressed in an effective manner. Since, this will give back the nuances and treatment as a character not as an archetype.
    For, instance suppose all three of them do meets. They will different perspectives of the world. Consider a situation where clark is taking on corrupt business man who has blood on his hands. They will all react differently to the situation.
    My apologies. I wasn't suggesting that you said they weren't all Superman, what I'm cautioning against is that if DC ever took the approach of having 3 distinct Superman having ongoing adventures, there would always be a danger, whether intentional or not, of one of them being viewed as the real Superman while the other two were just alternate universe dopplegangers. For instance, the Superman in the Justice League will inevitably seen as the main guy, leaving the others regarded as lesser than in comparison.

The only way to avoid that is to regularly remind readers that they are all the same man, who has been split into various incarnations, which is fine for the regularly occurring Multiverse stories, but may be unnecessarily cumbersome to have to do again and again in order for casual readers to understand why there are multiple Supermen running around the DCU if each version is going to be an ongoing fixture.

The elder Earth-2 Superman was great, but he wasn't showing up every month as the main character in any comics. Same goes for Morrison's Neo-Golden Age Jeans & T-Shirt social crusader. I'm glad that incarnation of Superman is still running around somewhere out there in the Multiverse any time someone wants to bring him back for a cool story, but I don't think having him back as the star of a regularly occurring Superman comic set in the DCU is necessarily a good idea. That said, if he was transplanted to the Earth-One line, wherein the stories are more sporadic and delivered in one big chunk, I think that would work just fine.

Into the Spider-Verse changed the game in terms of introducing mainstream audiences to the concept of countless alternate versions of established characters existing within a Multiverse, but DC needs to be careful with its main DCU set stuff, otherwise it risks diluting the brand. Like it or not, a lot of long-running characters are propped up by those old diehard collector who will buy the latest issue of Superman no matter what. If DC is publishing 3 concurrent Superman comics, those obsessive collectors would simply stick to whichever one they viewed as the real one, and, if that became unclear, DC would have that normally guaranteed base of readers split up amongst three different books.