9 42.86%
  • Compartmentalise/split

7 33.33%
  • Fine as is

5 23.81%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Default Split/compartmentalise superman or amalgamate superman portrayals

For me, we have been trying to incorporate/amalgamate the three versions or visions for the Superman character since 2000's. but it seems to create a mess in characterisation and leading to character becoming more archetype than a real character.it also leaves the fans split and unsatisfied.
    Since, dc is keen to divide dc into generation.my idea is to specific split the "superman" into three.3 supermen for 3 generations, 3 outlooks, 3 visions and 3 voices. Call it "the reign of supermen" or "supermen of 3 worlds".i believe precrisis had right idea.

"man of action" - essentially the goldenage guy/morrison superman . More grounded storytelling with low level powerscaling (no flight, needs to breath, needs food, slow aging) . A vigilante who fights for the little guy. A reporter, strong man and an athlete. Powers source due to gravity differences and physiology (basically like insects who can lift higher, jump.. Etc) . Politics, journalism, investgative mystery .. Etc are the main content.main identity is clark kent who plays the mild mannered guy for the sake of being a vigilante. Above average human intelligence but is very resourceful.creates a secret citadel(not very advanced. But, is functional) with his strength and uses it as a hideout. Grew up in the suburbs(sometimes feeling like a freak) . Son of john and mary(note:-city/suburban folks. Not farmers. Dead) . John finds clark crash land when he was passing by on his motorcycle. Considers himself gifted being(no idea what he is) but cautious of reaction to his powers so hides them. Fights for truth and justice for everyone. K-metal main weakness(no radiation. A metal like adamantium) . Pair of tights (tshirt and jeans if you want to go that route) with blanket from Krypton (note nothing special. The guys costume gets destroyed often)
    World/city-corrupt city of Metropolis
    "man of tomorrow" - essentially, the silverage guy/all star superman. More scifi, out there storytelling with dbz level powerscaling(nothing required, immortal ) . A guardian angel who fights to protect the world. A scientist and an explorer(little bit of a dreamer and a futurist) . Powersouce "unknown" or "unexplained" (solar radiation just doesn't cut it. Sun doesn't produce enough radiation that superman needs to perform tasks. But, it can be optional choice ). Adventure, exploration,time travel, horror , ethical conundrums of a god walking amongst men... Etc are the main content. Main identity is kal el from krypton who became an American citizen.plays Mild mannered guy for the sake of living amongst humans as one of them. Genius level intelligence creates his very own advanced fortress of solitude from the tech he gathers from his space adventures. Had adventures as superboy when he was child with legion in the future. Son of Jor el and lara and has a pet dog guardian (krypto). Jonathan(dead) and martha(alive) find him and adopt him.(farmers who can't keep up. But, still provides with everything kal el needs). Considers himself a kryptonIan immigrant to America. Fights to protect every living thing.unknown substance k(kryptonite) is the main weakness (it can give humans powers). Makes an armor for himself with his technology similar to his home world.
    World/city- cyberpunk dystopian city
    "man of steel" - essentially,the postcrisis "human" superman. More family drama, romcom type storytelling with medium level powerscaling(needs to breath, food optional,aging depended on radiation absorbed) . A farmboy trying to help people in his life in the big city. A farmer, a boyscout and a family man(a little bit of traditional values).powersource the sun. Drama, comedy, relationships... Etc are the main content of the story(more like lois and clark tv series) . Main identity clark kent who works for the daily planet as reporter(hides in plain sight. No act). average intelligence with inherent wisdom and innocence like in superman for all seasons. Finds a crystal/technology from Krypton that he uses to create a crystal fortress in the antartic. Born on earth. Son of Jonathan and martha(both alive) . Considers himself a human and an American who Discovered powers late. Fights for everyone but is an American.has married now is a father to a young boy named jon. Kryptonite is main weakness which is radio active (long term exposure can give even humans cancer).his Mother makes a costume from blankets. Solar flare one of the powers. Has bioelectric aura which he can use to sheild things. Can see souls or aura of living things
    World/city- a city with two face. One hand the city of the future where dreams come true. On the other hand also a place with darker underbelly.

Do you like my idea of split or do you want to continue amalgam superman?.
    If you like amalgamation to be better idea, then what will be the attributes you want/choose in that superman? Comment below
    If you like my idea to split superman but would do it differently then comment below as well.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-11-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Amazing Member

I get the feeling that if the eras of Superman are divided like this,so will the fandom.Everyone will cling to the version they like most while ignoring the others.
    Even if different eras interpret Superman differently,I prefer a singular an all-around version than a split.

Quote Originally Posted by Mago dos Gatos View Post
    I get the feeling that if the eras of Superman are divided like this,so will the fandom.Everyone will cling to the version they like most while ignoring the others.
    Even if different eras interpret Superman differently,I prefer a singular an all-around version than a split.
    Isn't that better. Let everyone have their superman,instead of noone having theirs. For instance, if i want to read something akin to goldenage or silverage i have to search for it. Post crisis superman is'nt for everyone. Postcrisis fans would raise objections if superman was like goldenage guy or had silverage guy powerlevel. Amalgamation cannot work with one being a jock and other being a nerd. This way we have 3 supermen for different stories.
    Besides, people are already clinging and fighting for their superman.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'd cut the Golden Age/Morrison era (which are very different, btw), as I just don't see the market for it. People will always cry out for more of Grant Morrison writing Superman, be it Gold, Silver or Polka Dot era, because Grant Morrison has a vocal, passionate following. However, I rarely see people avidly wanting more actual Golden Age Superman.

Bendis is already kinda doing the separate Silver and Bronze/Byrne/90's era thing with Superman and Action Comics respectively. I do think the current situation is the best of all worlds for now (I am bias, I'm actually enjoying Superman books for the first time since Doomed) and at least we have an A-list writer to pull interest from more casual Superman fans. However, I think the early 00's did it better with it's crazy mash-up of Silver Age craziness but with more decent plotting, character and substance (mostly).

I will admit, though, that I mostly feel this way because Superman's editors, the wider management at DC or perhaps even Warner Bros themselves are completely incapable, or perhaps terrified, of change.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I've seen you hoping for Superman to head in a more DBZ direction quite a few times, and that is something I am 100% in favour of. Superman has pretty much stopped evolving, and as a result has been surpassed by many imitations. I think it's time Superman drew from the very things he influenced, chuck in some DBZ, power-up a bunch of enemies and give them crazy reality warping powers and abilities for Superman to combat, and for the love of god LET THE GUY ACTUALLY ENJOY BEING SUPERMAN!

Goku loves his life, he loves the challenge of setting himself up as Earth's greatest fighter (and by association hero), and he thrives in adversity and, perhaps most Superman of all, he sees the best in everyone and thinks even the greatest of monsters can be redeemed. And he tries!

Give Superman a huge injection of that and he'd be a lot more fun to read. Silver Age, Bronze Age, Byrne era, Jurgens era, Loeb era, all these Supermen, at the end of the day, showed joy in being Superman. He wasn't ashamed of being Superman. He wasn't hiding . And he sure as hell didn't live in a world that, when his secret was outed, immediately turned on him because reasons (post Doomed era, I am squarely looking at you).

EDIT: I got a bit carried away from the original question. I guess my answer is all three?
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I'd cut the Golden Age/Morrison era (which are very different, btw), as I just don't see the market for it. People will always cry out for more of Grant Morrison writing Superman, be it Gold, Silver or Polka Dot era, because Grant Morrison has a vocal, passionate following. However, I rarely see people avidly wanting more actual Golden Age Superman.

Bendis is already kinda doing the separate Silver and Bronze/Byrne/90's era thing with Superman and Action Comics respectively. I do think the current situation is the best of all worlds for now (I am bias, I'm actually enjoying Superman books for the first time since Doomed) and at least we have an A-list writer to pull interest from more casual Superman fans. However, I think the early 00's did it better with it's crazy mash-up of Silver Age craziness but with more decent plotting, character and substance (mostly).

I will admit, though, that I mostly feel this way because Superman's editors, the wider management at DC or perhaps even Warner Bros themselves are completely incapable, or perhaps terrified, of change.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I've seen you hoping for Superman to head in a more DBZ direction quite a few times, and that is something I am 100% in favour of. Superman has pretty much stopped evolving, and as a result has been surpassed by many imitations. I think it's time Superman drew from the very things he influenced, chuck in some DBZ, power-up a bunch of enemies and give them crazy reality warping powers and abilities for Superman to combat, and for the love of god LET THE GUY ACTUALLY ENJOY BEING SUPERMAN!

Goku loves his life, he loves the challenge of setting himself up as Earth's greatest fighter (and by association hero), and he thrives in adversity and, perhaps most Superman of all, he sees the best in everyone and thinks even the greatest of monsters can be redeemed. And he tries!

Give Superman a huge injection of that and he'd be a lot more fun to read. Silver Age, Bronze Age, Byrne era, Jurgens era, Loeb era, all these Supermen, at the end of the day, showed joy in being Superman. He wasn't ashamed of being Superman. He wasn't hiding . And he sure as hell didn't live in a world that, when his secret was outed, immediately turned on him because reasons (post Doomed era, I am squarely looking at you).

EDIT: I got a bit carried away from the original question. I guess my answer is all three?
    Market is tricky thing. I believe there is. I mean, all might works great. I want that guy back. That guy was siegel and shuster's superman. I mean, i fell in love with the guy more than the current one.there is a more hard core superman than that guy. The guy who fight for those who can't fight themselves. The voice of the voiceless . It will have great action and great grounded hand to hand combat.

Also, This isn’t about morrison or market. Secretly more of my personal pet agenda. I want to preserve "the Superman" his original creators envisioned.

I am the reverse. Current one has major characterisation problems. What's his intelligence level? What is his main motivation? What is the main adversity he faces in his personal and professional life?what is the world that needed this kind of superman? Jon was the main attraction of this superman for me. He was great as superdad(it was clear cut vision) because there is history to clois's struggle for the kid. Now, everything comes of as having lack of personal stakes and forced drama. It's all blah! For me.
    And i believe every superman enjoys being superman in this one.

BANNED

I guess peoples personalities can change, I don't see why not for Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    I guess peoples personalities can change, I don't see why not for Superman.
    Personality change doesn't mean people become entirely different people. There are things that don't change about people even when and if they try. Instead of trying to make people buy they are all the same guy. It is better to split the visions as they are.These three guys don't operate the same. They don't see the world the same way.
    One guy was found by passing motorcyclist. The other found by people that could never keep up. The last guy found a home. They are 3 different people. Have experienced their different worlds and decide to fight for whats right in different ways
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-11-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Somehow DBZ comes up... here, I'm thinking more of Jojo.

I'd like it if they actually used strong distinctions to separately develop and curate different aspects of the character. Being all of the above certainly has its appeal, it's all just Superman to me, but not everyone feels that way and in practice the compromise has been difficult. I've always loved the weekly four books idea and that concept is one I would apply to working Superman.

1. Golden Age Superman, 1938-1953. The original/Earth Two Kal-L. Doc Savage esque Superman, who grew up in an adopted orphan just outside of Metropolis. Leaps or flies variably, rivals Lois, solves human interest cases mostly but runs into the likes of America's most wanted, namely Luthor. A George Reeves who doesn't really know anything about Krypton.

2. Silver Age Superman, 1953-1968. Masquerading alien wonder. Everything is so big in scale that it's humorous. Lives in the arctic fortress and has a three story super computer. So fast that he practically lives a few seconds ahead of us. Super slice of life, pulling pranks on/with friends like Batman, Lois, and Santa. Action wise a friendlier One punch man.

3. Bronze age Superman, 1968-1988. A touch more humanity to go with cosmic drama on par with Thor. On/off relationship with Lois, WGBS/human interest fame, strong mentor to Supergirl and the superhero community at large. Lex is a greedy and petty scientist, plenty of foes like Mongul and Mxy.

4. Modern Age Superman, 1988-2018. Married to Lois with Jon, more intense threats from a core cast of villains. This is where questions of relevance and legacy really matter. And where people who want to push the envelope and mix things up would be happiest I guess.

Oh and one other thing: NO time period distinction. Deep down people don't seem to care for the extended novelty of 1938. Different versions of Superman, no time distinction. Maybe it sounds confusing but I have faith that people can Google pretty easily if they don't quickly understand
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Somehow DBZ comes up... here, I'm thinking more of Jojo.

I'd like it if they actually used strong distinctions to separately develop and curate different aspects of the character. Being all of the above certainly has its appeal, it's all just Superman to me, but not everyone feels that way and in practice the compromise has been difficult. I've always loved the weekly four books idea and that concept is one I would apply to working Superman.

1. Golden Age Superman, 1938-1953. The original/Earth Two Kal-L. Doc Savage esque Superman, who grew up in an adopted orphan just outside of Metropolis. Leaps or flies variably, rivals Lois, solves human interest cases mostly but runs into the likes of America's most wanted, namely Luthor. A George Reeves who doesn't really know anything about Krypton.

2. Silver Age Superman, 1953-1968. Masquerading alien wonder. Everything is so big in scale that it's humorous. Lives in the arctic fortress and has a three story super computer. So fast that he practically lives a few seconds ahead of us. Super slice of life, pulling pranks on/with friends like Batman, Lois, and Santa. Action wise a friendlier One punch man.

3. Bronze age Superman, 1968-1988. A touch more humanity to go with cosmic drama on par with Thor. On/off relationship with Lois, WGBS/human interest fame, strong mentor to Supergirl and the superhero community at large. Lex is a greedy and petty scientist, plenty of foes like Mongul and Mxy.

4. Modern Age Superman, 1988-2018. Married to Lois with Jon, more intense threats from a core cast of villains. This is where questions of relevance and legacy really matter. And where people who want to push the envelope and mix things up would be happiest I guess.

Oh and one other thing: NO time period distinction. Deep down people don't seem to care for the extended novelty of 1938. Different versions of Superman, no time distinction. Maybe it sounds confusing but I have faith that people can Google pretty easily if they don't quickly understand
    This seems pretty neat. Wayyy more nuanced than my approach. I love the one punch man mention(i was aiming for something like that) . I didn't want time distinction thing either.

Astonishing Member

Seeing as the current timeline has a single Superman, I don't expect any of us will get what we want. But I like the split Superman idea and with a few tweaks can see merit in the "man of action", Man of tomorrow", "Man of steel" description above.

First, I'd make the current guy the only Clark Kent unless there is some time-shenanigans involved like Bored at 3:00AM has in his DC history.

I'd have the first version be a sort of amalgamation between Iron Munro and Morrison's New-52 guy. He's not Kryptonian but rather the result of a Gladiator type experimentation. He's a contemporary of the JSA, fought the Ultra-Humanaite, had the triangle for two romance and like the JSA he's gone into the shadows after the government turns on them.

The second version is the Pre-Crisis Earth-One version but with more Bronze-Age sensibilities. Raised by a farm couple, debuted as a young (teens) Superboy, adventured in the future with the Legion. Left to try finding Krypton- his son was sent back to Earth and became the current Superman. Main enemies: Brainiac, Zod, Mongul

And then the current version

Astonishing Member

Yeah I think ideally you would want to split things off into their own spot. The questioning of which Superman is better has always been more akin to the quarreling within Green Lantern or the Flash fanbases than what you see from more holistic characters like Batman or Spiderman. IDK if you can really justify creating three seperate books just for different looks at the same character though. More than likely you probably just get books dedicated to the whoever is the "main" Supes and occasional specials looking into the life of the others. Though I think it's possible to merge the Golden and Silver Age back into one another and I've personally don't really see the Bronze Age as it's own thing just the Silver Age with different writing sensibilities. Ideally I think you would have two Supermen, one that represented Pre-Crisis and one that represents Pre-2000's Post Crisis.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

There's a part of me that can accept a modern fragment of Superman not reflecting 2004-2011. I think the Morrison run should be grafted in full into my #4 though, where #3 would come from the Byrne origin, #2 would reflect the toddler of Krypton, and #1 would basically have the Thomas tweaked version of the original origin.

For sustaining different versions... sure, I can't really pretend. We're at a point now where it's all we can do to afford the Hal Jordan flagship with John in the League. The Wallies are barely there. So different versions of Clark seems sort of doomed. But I've always liked the anthology style of Superman Family with the Mr and Mrs Superman bit. I think you can pull off more than one Superman if you don't see it as a burden to challenge readers.

Voted for the amalgamation.

Now, if DC really does split their publishing lines into different continuities, like "champion of the people" Golden Age and "space jesus" Silver Age, then fine, lean into that and play up the different viewpoints and narrative possibilities. If we're going to have multiple Supermen running around and likely staring in separate titles, then you *need* to make them stand out from one another, otherwise there's no point to the whole thing in the first place.

But generally speaking? Each era brings a new facet to explore, and when mixed together correctly you end up with a fascinating, nuanced, complex and layered Superman capable of operating in any imaginable genre or story without losing sight of his character. And while DC has struggled to find the right combination of elements, I do believe there *is* a way to write Clark with all eras in mind that will satisfy (if not thrill) almost everyone.

I don't believe in reduction. I believe in addition. The different versions of Clark we've seen over the last (almost) century can serve to make a better Superman. Breaking the character down, taking things away from him....isn't that what everyone (including me) have been bitching about for the last year or two?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think taking away and repurposing for other characters has been a sticking point, but maybe it's not so bad if he loses them to himself and the self with those things isn't sitting idle.

I love the tapestry but apparently that's not a real selling point for others. Complex is good, but maybe he's too complex for the era of comic based entertainment. You can chop him into pieces and those pieces can occupy rooms fully by themselves. We're going to get a public domain take on AC #1 Superman and I'm willing to bet that will prove to be a fertile enough ground, that one percent of the mythology.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think what they need to do is take the most popular elements from each era and make one Superman. Morrison's New 52 origin with the T-shirt and jeans at first ten years ago, the marriage today, the New 52 suit for like a year in the middle of his career. The Death of course. Conner is created then. The only real problematic element I see is the Legion. Which DC doesn't seem to have a problem taking away from him anyway.
    Assassinate Putin!