View Poll Results: Best writer currently at Marvel?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jason Aaron

1 1.79%
  • Saladin Ahmed

0 0%
  • Donny Cates

4 7.14%
  • Ta-Nehisi Coates

3 5.36%
  • Gerry Duggan

1 1.79%
  • Al Ewing

18 32.14%
  • Jonathan Hickman

19 33.93%
  • Tini Howard

0 0%
  • Seanan McGuire

0 0%
  • Dan Slott

1 1.79%
  • Nick Spencer

1 1.79%
  • Kelly Thompson

2 3.57%
  • Chip Zdarsky

3 5.36%
  • Jim Zub

1 1.79%
  • Other

2 3.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who's the best writer currently at Marvel?

Of the current Marvel stable, who do you think is the best in terms of quality and why?

I chose the options based on those who have had multiple and prominent titles with Marvel as of late, and used Other to represent anyone I might have missed or couldn't fit in the limit. Also, I put them in alphabetical order by last name.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Can't decide between Al Ewing, Donny Cates, and Kelly Thompson.
    Baby Thanos

BANNED

Wish the poll was multiple choice.

My favorites are Hickman, Aaron, Coates, Spencer, Zdarsky.

Hmm .... tough one. As of late (last 5 years or so) when I came back into regular reading, I think only Ewing has yet to really disappoint for me (though Valkyrie is borderline). Rest of my favorites have gone through some big high/low swings. So he edges it out.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I’ll preface this by saying there’s some writers up there who’s books I’ve never read.

I voted Aaron but could have easily gone for Hickman. I just think Aaron achieved something special with his Thor saga, in my time reading comics I don’t think I’ve seen another writer spend so long on a book and maintain such high standards.

I’d also have Cates and Ewing closing out my top 4. I think Cates will surpass the other contenders if he carries on his current trajectory. Glad Ewing is getting some hard earned recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Wish the poll was multiple choice.

My favorites are Hickman, Aaron, Coates, Spencer, Zdarsky.
    Agreed about the multiple choices thing. I was thinking Hickman (X-Men are entering a new golden age), Aaron (because of Jane Foster's Thor), Zdarsky (due to his Spider-Man books), Ewing (his Avengers stuff was great, good to see he's finally actually selling well on Immortal Hulk), Thompson (finally someone who can get Captain Marvel to sell, and A-Force was great too) and Zub (Champions didn't deserve to be cancelled, and I always thought his Thunderbolts was let down by the art), myself.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I also wish it was multiple choice, I went with Cates, but it was a tough call for me, between him, Thompson, Spencer, Hickman, Ewing, and Aaron... I mean basically I guess i like a lot of Marvel's writers right now, but I think Cates has been the most interesting overall for me, despite his relatively short time at Marvel. I like his balance of modern style, big crazy ideas, with sincere character moments. I've also enjoyed his creator owned stuff the most of any of them, God Country, Redneck, and Babyteeth are all great (tho also really love Aaron's Southern Bastards. Something about these Southern tales appeals to me, apparently, despite being Canadian)
    Last edited by Raye; 10-12-2019 at 03:04 AM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Donny Cates has been a great edition. He isn’t afraid to go all out with his ideas, but still ties them in to continuity. Knull is a fantastic edition to all-powerful cosmic threats (especially as Thanos was getting stale and Annihilus has turned into a bit of a punching bag ever since Annihilation) and he’s made Venom stand on his own two feet in his own corner of the MU away from Spidey.

Ewing on Hulk is fantastic, too. Looking forward to seeing where he goes with Guardians.

Hickman is a sort of obvious one. He knows how good he is, and he’s put X-Men back in the radar in just 12 weeks.

Spencer is killing it on Spider-Man, too. It’s very standalone which is what makes the Spidey-Verse great, I enjoy not needing to know what’s going on in other books to enjoy this one.

Last but not least is Chip Zdarsky. His Invaders is great but his Daredevil is getting better with each issue.i look forward to it reaching it’s inevitable crescendo.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Thompson (finally someone who can get Captain Marvel to sell, and A-Force was great too)
    Did you ever read her Hawkeye or Jessica Jones by any chance? I think everyone should read them!
    Baby Thanos

Hawkeye yes, and it's sequel West Coast Avengers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

From the poll Zub, and Zdarsky rarely disappoint. I've also really dug what I'm read from Jed MacKay recently. But the only book I've been continuously reading has been from Rainbow Rowell, that has to do with my love of the series but I think she's been doing well on top of that.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Marvel has a very strong lineup of writers right now. I went with Cates, since I could only choose one because I am reading the most titles by him at the moment.

By favorite book is Ewing’s Immortal Hulk. It’s simply the best book that has been written in decades and I can’t wair for his reign on Guardians Of The Galaxy to begin.

That is not to take anything away from Chip Zdarsky who is writing an incredible Daredevil and Nick Spencer who has returned fun to the Amazing Spider-Man.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

I voted Al Ewing.
    My Top 10 of the best writer currently at Marvel are :

1-Al Ewing.
    2-Jason Aaron.
    3-Roger Stern.
    4-Donny Cates.
    5-Jed McKay.
    6-Dan Slott.
    7-Mark Waid.
    8-Jonathan Hickman.
    9-Chris Clameront.
    10-Peter David.
    Honorable mention:Ed Brisson.

Roger Stern and Chris Clameront only wrote few comic books lately so if they were writing ongoing comic books i would say they would be easily in my Top 5 of the best writers.

Top 5 in no order:

Hickman, Cates, Duggan, Ewing and Zdarsky

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

A tie between Ewing and Hickman, with Zdarsky second. It's a pretty wide gap from the rest, IMO.