Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Frank Miller & Wonder Woman

This is from a CBR interview:

In Dark Knight III: The Master Race, you got to do these mini-comics focused on different members of the Justice League. Is there any character in the wider DC Universe you would love to crack at?

"There's a bunch! They have such an amazing pantheon and so many of them surface in Dark Knight. One character I loved using in Strikes Again was the Question. There's so many and some are so goofy like the unforgivable 60s ones like Brother Power the Geek. I think everyone wants their crack at Wonder Woman because she's one of those great characters who has been done right so rarely. She's been drawn right but rarely been written right."

Despite his puerile portrayal of a man-hating Diana in that All Star Batman series, I'd still be curious to see what he'd do. I liked the portrayal of Diana in Dark Knight III, but I also remember reading an interview with him in which he said that the series was much more Azzarello than him - this snippet is from Wikipedia: "I thoroughly applaud what [Brian Azzarello] [is] doing," he said "But now that he's doing [DK III], it's now a four-part series. I'm doing the fourth."

Really, I've been curious since reading this magazine in the 80s, though I confess I remember nothing of the article and don't know where my copy is.

51Eu6snTauL._SX387_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I mean, I wouldn't be super-stoked for another uber-violent portrayal, but I wonder if it'd be more interesting than that? I also wonder who Miller thinks *has* written her "right" other than, obviously, Azzarello - I wish the interviewer had asked that follow-up question.
    Last edited by Frank; 10-12-2019 at 10:20 AM.

I said it in the Superman thread and I'll say it here - Miller is throwing stones in glass houses. I don't trust him with a Wonder Woman book or any female character for that matter.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-12-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Miller has become like a train wreck. His work is a disaster but I still look to see what happens.
    I don't trust him though. Not just with Wonder Woman, and any female character, but any character. His All Star Batman and Robin unfinished series is one of the most out of character books for most everyone involved I can imagine. I'm already wary of what he'll do with Superman before he's done with him.
    I hope he doesn't get his hands on Diana.

I want see how he could portrait her and I am sure will be better than she is portrayed now. I am 100% in favor of a Wonder Woman Year One by Frank MIller

Yikes. That quote from Miller alone makes me tremble with fear.

A Wonder Woman written by Frank Miller in the 80s or early 90s might have been interesting and possibly ground-breaking. But having Wonder Woman written today by a 62-year-old white dude with a history of misogynistic and reactionary politics doesn't strike me as grounds for innovation.

The only white dude active in comics that I can think of capable of moving Wonder Woman in an interesting direction right now is Stjepan Sejic, and that is because he would be able to engage with her kinky origin and sexual politics in a way that would neither be shaming nor fetishistic. Rucka's Black Label project might also turn out to be interesting, but I don't think it will be able to really explore new ground on the character.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I don't think Miller is wrong at all in his statement. The majority of WW runs are pretty meh or bad.

The chance that he's the one who can change it all is slim to nil though, especially at this point. Set expectations to low and hope for an entertaining trainwreck at least.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I also wonder who Miller thinks *has* written her "right" other than, obviously, Azzarello - I wish the interviewer had asked that follow-up question.
    I recall Miller praised a lot the 1st Wonder Woman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't think Miller is wrong at all in his statement. The majority of WW runs are pretty meh or bad.

The chance that he's the one who can change it all is slim to nil though, especially at this point. Set expectations to low and hope for an entertaining trainwreck at least.
    Hmmmm? YMMV, but let me see for myself...

Perez - Good
    Messner-Lobes - Good
    Byrne - Meh
    Luke - Good
    Jimenez - Good
    Simonson - Bad
    Rucka - Good
    Heinberg - Good
    Picoult - Meh
    Simone - Meh
    Straczynsky - Good
    Azzarello - Bad
    Finch - Bad
    Rucka - Good
    Fontana - Meh
    Robinson - Bad
    Wilson - Meh

Yeah, you're right unless I left someone out by mistake. Still the book isn't bad enough to give to the likes of Miller.

Mighty Member

I would be interested in reading his version of WW if it was still the 80's but I havent heard anything good about his recent stuff. I think "Master Race 3" was mostly hated/disliked so I wouldnt want him writing a comic for her. I can't really say there's anyone else out there that I'd want to read writer her either though so I guess it really wont matter. He isn't wrong though because most WW comics are not good and I can only think of a few runs I've read that I even liked(Simone, Azzarello, WMM...if he counts).
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 10-13-2019 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post

Perez - Good
    Messner-Lobes - Good
    Byrne - Meh
    Luke - Good
    Jimenez - Good
    Simonson - Bad
    Rucka - Good
    Heinberg - Good
    Picoult - Meh
    Simone - Meh
    Straczynsky - Good
    Azzarello - Bad
    Finch - Bad
    Rucka - Good
    Fontana - Meh
    Robinson - Bad
    Wilson - Meh

Yeah, you're right unless I left someone out by mistake. Still the book isn't bad enough to give to the likes of Miller.
    Oh definitely agreed on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    I would be interested in reading his version of WW if it was still the 80's but I havent heard anything good about his recent stuff. I think "Master Race 3" was mostly hated/disliked so I wouldnt want him writing a comic for her. I can't really say there's anyone else out there that I'd want to read writer her either though so I guess it really wont matter. He isn't wrong though because most WW comics are not good and I can only think of a few runs I've read that I even liked(Simone, Azzarello, WMM...if he counts).
    If that's Marston, he definitely should. Still the best classic WW run, with few modern ones that can compete with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post

(snip list)

Though I think what Miller would consider the good/meh/bad runs could be rather significantly different from what most of us would consider good/meh/bad runs.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Though I think what Miller would consider the good/meh/bad runs could be rather significantly different from what most of us would consider good/meh/bad runs.
    The only ones I think he might dig are Azzarello and maybe the originals, but we can't know for sure until he ever says anything.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Oh definitely agreed on that.

If that's Marston, he definitely should. Still the best classic WW run, with few modern ones that can compete with it.
    Yeah I think so too but sometimes the Wonder Woman being talked about is so different than what his was that I'm not sure if I should bring him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Deiasilva10 View Post
    I want see how he could portrait her and I am sure will be better than she is portrayed now. I am 100% in favor of a Wonder Woman Year One by Frank MIller
    Same here. Frank has created, written, drawn some of the most powerful female characters in comics (Elektra, Carrie Kelley, Deadly Miho, Gale, and most recently The Lady in the Lake, to name just a few) ... and for the most part I've liked his portrayals of Wonder Woman.

There was a time when he was going to be collaborating with Bill Sienkiewicz on a Wonder Woman project, which would've delved into the bondage element of her character https://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-fra...ewicz-bondage/
    But unfortunately it didn't eventuate. It would have been a fascinating reading experience. It would be cool to see them collaborate on a Wonder Woman Year One that perhaps touched on this subject, not sure if it will ever happen though. But he did say that Diana will appear in that World War 2 project (along with Superman and Sgt Rock) he's doing with Andy Kubert. Looking forward to that!
    Last edited by friendly-fire-press; 10-13-2019 at 10:21 PM.