Fantastic Member

Default Superman:Man of tomorrow

This was ok...started off well then it got boring when lobo and MM were taken out..and the animation seemed to get worse as it got to the end. A forgettable addition to the DC animated universe.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    This was ok...started off well then it got boring when lobo and MM were taken out..and the animation seemed to get worse as it got to the end. A forgettable addition to the DC animated universe.
    I feel like Lobo was just thrown in there with no payoff, he came for Superman and just left like that? Really? That's not Lobo, at least if in a teasing end credit scene they have him speak to a mysterious hologram telling him ,the hunt is called off, or he says 'how do you like the test run/audition?' to the voice and says 'I hope you're glad no one in the near star system gave me a better offer that needed his head'

Now that would be an epic ending, this story had very poor payoff and does not plant seeds to make you eager to see the next one.

Mighty Member

I went in with no expectations and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next one.

I did like this movie, but there were storytelling faults with the story, for sure. Lobo kept switching alliances for no real reason, and I thought Superman was too trusting of Luthor. I know they hadn't met before this movie, but he was just arrested based on Lois' expose about him, so Superman seemed to be a little too warm with him. Another thing they got wrong was that Superman's heat vision should NOT have concussive force behind it. It should just be a heat ray. I know a blast is cooler, but Superman is not Cyclops and doesn't need another power.

However, I LOVED the look of the movie. The action sequences had an anime flair to them, which I thought worked because the movie overall didn't look like an anime, so it wasn't jarring, just interesting.

As for the character designs, I really preferred these to the Timm and Timm-esque stuff we've been getting since Timm simplified his art style in 1996. Even preferred this to the Tuckerverse designs for his series of DC Animated Movies that just ended. I appreciated that there was more detail and shading in the characters and that everyone had a relatively normal-sized chin. However, Perry White was a bit off-model to me. Looks and personality-wise, I liked this interpretation of Lois. She was driven as usual, but wasn't annoying, mean, or one-dimensional.

Overall, a good first effort that held my attention unlike some of the other Superman animated movies we got.

I thought it was solid, but it did have its flaws. Like the previous poster said, Lobo kept switching alliances, and we never did find out who hired him to kill Superman in the first place. Then at the end he leaves without trying to fulfill his contract.. eh. Where the filmed shined was the nice animations and showing Clark’s relationships to others. I really enjoyed his banter with Lois, his budding friendship with Martian Manhunter, and his interactions with Ma and Pa Kent. Putting him against a villain he can’t physically touch was also an interesting idea.

Overall, it’s worth a watch but it’s not my favorite Superman animated film. I’d probably rank it mid-tier. My favorites are still Red Son and Superman Vs The Elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I feel like Lobo was just thrown in there with no payoff, he came for Superman and just left like that? Really? That's not Lobo, at least if in a teasing end credit scene they have him speak to a mysterious hologram telling him ,the hunt is called off, or he says 'how do you like the test run/audition?' to the voice and says 'I hope you're glad no one in the near star system gave me a better offer that needed his head'

Now that would be an epic ending, this story had very poor payoff and does not plant seeds to make you eager to see the next one.
    If you look at the side of the Blu-Ray box:

spoilers:
    There's an illustration of Brainiac above Lobo, so either he hired him and was planned to appear in the movie at some point and was cut or will show up in a future movie featuring this version of Superman.
    end of spoilers