Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

telepathy and telekinesis aren’t perfect, they’re manipulations of others and of the world.

I’d make her mind impossible to read and impossible to confuse. Mental invulnerability to match physical invulnerability. Super strong to match super intellect. Perfect body and mind. Being gorgeous is the lucky part.

“Flight” would be a secondary mutation.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Part of the charm of the St. Croix family is how hopelessly and needlessly convoluted it is.
    that's one take on it. i'm not charmed by it.

M having a Penance form works fine for me, paralleling Emma's diamond form.
    why would two completely unconnected characters need that parallel? i have learned to just bite my tongue on Emma's secondary mutation. not sure why Monet needed one so late in the game.

Just having Penance as a part of M's mutation simplifies Penny's existence for me instead of the mutant magic-created trap turned independent body.
    no what would be simpler? having Penny just be a mutant with dense skin that made her the perfect food source for Marius St.Croix. then you have a cool extra character to play with. and things are simple. because the penance shell doesn't logically spin out of M's "perfection" power. why would she need a shell if she's pretty much indestructible? why the spiky hair and claws? more to the point, i was there before the team debuted. this was not the creator's intent. Penance was going to be her own person.

Maybe M could always become Penance but Emplate just forcefully transformed her into that form semi-permanently.
    which really makes zero sense. he's just an energy vampire.

As for the Twins? I'm not sure what can be done with them.
    all of it has really devalued the character for me. there was a time when i would have sworn that Generation X was the height of x-verse creativity. i adored those characters and the stylized art that brought them to life. but now Chamber has that ugly Apocalypse link, Jubilee was a vampire, Paige is making out with Angel & then Toad, and M is far from perfect. they blew it. i'm kind of thankful that Everett and Angelo missed out on all of that. who knows how they would have been butchered?

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I don't like psionic explanations to her powers (like this or tactile TK and such). Her mutation is being perfect, that's why she has so many superhuman abilities. Perfect mind, perfect body etc.
    This is how I feel. She's the perfect mutant specimen, that's why she has all of those powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    which really makes zero sense. he's just an energy vampire.
    An energy vampire who gets sucked into some quasi-mystical dimension of torment for no good reason. And he did trap her in the Penance body so...

We can have both M and the Penance visuals. I'm fine with that.

Let's hope we don't have any more M-Plate combination shenanigans.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

An energy vampire who gets sucked into some quasi-mystical dimension of torment for no good reason.
    I was out of the loop through the majority of the 90s. Can you tell me more about the torture realm and how/why he gets sucked into it?

Short answer: if he doesn't feed on mutants, he gets sucked into a bad place that shreds his body and mind.
    Longer answer: Emplate bio.
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Short answer: if he doesn't feed on mutants, he gets sucked into a bad place that shreds his body and mind.
    Longer answer: Emplate bio.
    Seems overwrought. "Overwrought" is the word I'd use to describe a LOT of the 90s, but I'd blame that on the inertia of the sloppy Claremont brand handoff.

I would like to see a Teen version of the St.Croix twins, maybe with their fully developed powers and a better explanation about what they can do. They could be in the next young team.
    Ha Meeeee to! No lie I thought this cover couldnt be anyone but one or two of come coming back into X-men lore

no what would be simpler? having Penny just be a mutant with dense skin that made her the perfect food source for Marius St.Croix. then you have a cool extra character to play with. and things are simple. because the penance shell doesn't logically spin out of M's "perfection" power. why would she need a shell if she's pretty much indestructible? why the spiky hair and claws? more to the point, i was there before the team debuted. this was not the creator's intent. Penance was going to be her own person.
    Ha! YAS! This 100% M is already a powerful bruiser fighter she didnt need the Penance form....it's like wearing 2 jackets. Her fighting skills arent like a huge upgrade...she just looks more of a badass in the Penance form...slicing dudes up...and less like a badass cause having a Supermodel jacking dudes up in a melee battle Im sure looks impressive
    IN my head canon Penance will forever be that Young Deaf Woman who escaped(?) war torn Yugoslavia whose name is Yvette

there was a time when i would have sworn that Generation X was the height of x-verse creativity. i adored those characters and the stylized art that brought them to life. but now Chamber has that ugly Apocalypse link, Jubilee was a vampire, Paige is making out with Angel & then Toad, and M is far from perfect. they blew it. i'm kind of thankful that
    lol in a way it makes them more enduring to me....they're a group of best friends who drifted apart/moved away after school and havent seemed to get their lives on the trajectory it once had when they were all together
    Chambers not Apoc Inked up anymore I thoght tho
    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Seems overwrought. "Overwrought" is the word I'd use to describe a LOT of the 90s, but I'd blame that on the inertia of the sloppy Claremont brand handoff.
    it made him so much more tragic tho
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    IN my head canon Penance will forever be that Young Deaf Woman who escaped(?) war torn Yugoslavia whose name is Yvette
    It would have been nice.

Astonishing Member

Originally, per Scott Lobdell, M was supposed to be a gestalt form of Nicole and Claudette. There was no real Monet, just the twins. Penance was supposed to be a deaf Yugoslavian girl named Yvette who could turn her skin diamond hard and razor sharp by internalizing negative energy.

And I kind of wish they had kept it that way. Not going to lie, I kind of like the original Penance idea more than Monet. Monet tended to annoy the hell out of me.

that's what i'm saying. people like Penance. she has a cool design. you could have the best of both worlds by having her be her own character. and i assumed that's what the Hollow stuff was about. merging Penance with Monet just feels wrong. it's like putting barbecue sauce on a waffle. honestly, i didn't even like the idea of M being two merged twins. i have no problem with Claudette and Nicole (kind of wondering why they were so different in the AoA universe). but their presence did not make M more popular or improve Generation X. it took valuable page time from Monet; since she was stuck in a penance shell during the lead up. i should stop. because all of this is systematically destroying my enjoyment of the series. it meant a lot to me growing up. and i've sort of overlooked the missteps i.e. never really using Mondon or Blink. oof, now i'm remembering the Operation Zero Tolerance tie-ins and that weird stuff with Skin's former gang. i'll still stand by the original visuals being some of the best in the x-verse. a lot of creativity went into forming Generation X.

As per Hickman's X-Men Monday interview, it appears that her Penance form is probably because of some Resurrection tweaks.

so what about the actual Penance/Hollow, will she just be ignored now? I don't like M having this ability to get a Penance body, she's already invulnerable and has super strength, what are a bunch of slicing claws going to add?

Quote Originally Posted by jawbreaker View Post
    so what about the actual Penance/Hollow, will she just be ignored now? I don't like M having this ability to get a Penance body, she's already invulnerable and has super strength, what are a bunch of slicing claws going to add?
    maybe the slicing claws will make Jubilee more friendly towards her?? lol
    GrindrStone(D)

As per Hickman's X-Men Monday interview, it appears that her Penance form is probably because of some Resurrection tweaks.
    Trying to figure out where Monet died between X-Factor and HoX is the tricky bit. Though, iirc, one of the AoXM writers (Ayala? Williams?) said they wanted to use M in their line-up, but were told she was unavailable. So maybe that's why - something happened to her during the time-skip that hasn't been revealed yet.

Hmm. Possibly Monet is going to be on the roster of that book Hickman hinted at? The one dealing with resurrection complications?