Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default For Halloween, Any Scenes from Spider-man Comic History that Scared/Creeped you

I was hoping this would be a fun thread. Spider-man has alot of eerie scenes. mine I remember vividly when I was collecting comics as a little kid. it still creep me out. it was illustrated by Mark Bagley with dialogue by J. M. DeMatteis. It was in Amazing Spider-man 390, between the Robot Parents getting resolved and the Clone saga. in Ravencroft, Malcolm Mcbride the former Carrior at the time, was talking to Dr Kafka about this recurring nightmare he's having and Mark Bagley drew it, a sequence of a panels of naked dead bodies falling from the sky, male female. Malcom described it like something out of the Holocaust, sorry, that was the choice of JMD dialogue, not sure if its right to use it here. but man the faces of the bodies were decayed and it creeped the hell of my 11 year old self, and sequence end with Carrion drifting down making a menacing look and thats where the dream of Malcolm ends. Sorry I figure it would a a fun spooky thread to have that relate to Spider-man history.

Definitely six-armed Spidey:

I don't remember the issue number, but it was an issue of Amazing drawn by Erik Larsen with Eddie Brock's body at the morgue. When the surgeon starts to cut into it with a scalpel, the symbiote shoots out of the incision (like a scene out of John Carpenter's "The Thing") and turns into Venom, who then promptly kills the man.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Astonishing Member

I would say, the scene where Peter was trapped in the dying body of Doc Ock. (I'm still mad for such story).

Astonishing Member

Peter’s hallucination while buried alive by Kraven during KLH. Ned Leeds realizes he’s dead and then rapidly decomposes before Peter’s eyes.

the first spider-man comic i owned was an appearance by the Lobo Brothers. i always thought that was creepy because i didn't associate Spider-man with horror characters.

Not so much a particular scene but KLH stands high on the list of “intense dark scary” stuff for Spider-Man.

“Shrieking” has some amazing visuals through out. It’s one of my most underrated Spider-Man stories ever. Really good dark stuff.

However the scene that stands above everything as far as “scary” goes is a scene from Carnage origin issues. It’s the very first encounter between Spider-Man and Carnage. Spider-Man goes into the abandoned building where Cletus was raised and Cletus is just sitting there around a campfire with Spider-Man stalking him in the Shadows. Amazing scene and I still get the chills when I read it especially when Spider-Man realizes that Carnage knows he’s been there the entire time.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Not so much a particular scene but KLH stands high on the list of “intense dark scary” stuff for Spider-Man.

“Shrieking” has some amazing visuals through out. It’s one of my most underrated Spider-Man stories ever. Really good dark stuff.

However the scene that stands above everything as far as “scary” goes is a scene from Carnage origin issues. It’s the very first encounter between Spider-Man and Carnage. Spider-Man goes into the abandoned building where Cletus was raised and Cletus is just sitting there around a campfire with Spider-Man stalking him in the Shadows. Amazing scene and I still get the chills when I read it especially when Spider-Man realizes that Carnage knows he’s been there the entire time.
    J.M. DeMatteis was very good at horror, especially the psychological and even personal kind.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Osborn's "O-face"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post

yup Shrieking first part is the part I mention on the starting post with the piles of decaying bodies falling from the sky. JMD is great

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    yup Shrieking first part is the part I mention on the starting post with the piles of decaying bodies falling from the sky. JMD is great
    I think the other half of that is Mark Bagley being a surprisingly good horror/scary artist. His art has an intensity to it that few others could replicate. With that arc, it's the intensity of the faces, the designs, and especially the eyes that set the stage. It's great stuff.

My answer isn't 616, but it's two-fold for Ultimate Spider-Man: "Carnage: Pt 3", where Carnage kills Gwen Stacy and the symbiote makes a face that looks like Peter's face to her as he drains the life from her body. Bagley's art makes it more visceral because there are no words - just the horrified face of Gwen Stacy as she's killed. Good lord. No wonder my dad didn't let me read that when I was a kid.

And "Strange: Pt 2", where Peter faces against Nightmare. There's a page where Peter is drowning, and it's totally dark, but the water subsides and all he sees is Nightmare's face grinning back at him. I got serious chills seeing that for the first time.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I don't remember the issue number, but it was an issue of Amazing drawn by Erik Larsen with Eddie Brock's body at the morgue. When the surgeon starts to cut into it with a scalpel, the symbiote shoots out of the incision (like a scene out of John Carpenter's "The Thing") and turns into Venom, who then promptly kills the man.
    Amazing Spider-Man 331.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

It wasn't Halloween themed, but as a kid I was really afraid of bees/wasps/hornets, so when Spider-man fought Swarm, that creeped me out.

Incredible Member

That scene in Amazing Spider-Man #293 in which Vermin was pulling a young woman into the sewer, chasing her, with a "Yum" in his thoughts.

Then, Vermin's next scene was him, licking his lips, with a slab of meat in his hands, highly inferring that slab was the woman.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I think the other half of that is Mark Bagley being a surprisingly good horror/scary artist. His art has an intensity to it that few others could replicate. With that arc, it's the intensity of the faces, the designs, and especially the eyes that set the stage. It's great stuff.

My answer isn't 616, but it's two-fold for Ultimate Spider-Man: "Carnage: Pt 3", where Carnage kills Gwen Stacy and the symbiote makes a face that looks like Peter's face to her as he drains the life from her body. Bagley's art makes it more visceral because there are no words - just the horrified face of Gwen Stacy as she's killed. Good lord. No wonder my dad didn't let me read that when I was a kid.

And "Strange: Pt 2", where Peter faces against Nightmare. There's a page where Peter is drowning, and it's totally dark, but the water subsides and all he sees is Nightmare's face grinning back at him. I got serious chills seeing that for the first time.
    Agreed completely on Bagley. Honestly to me he was at the peak of his powers during that ASM. His work has always been great and consistent....but he hit some visually amazing high notes during that run.