Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

When people say something is hipster or that somebody is a hipster in comics they mean "that's different from what you normally see."

When somebody is being elitist, it means "Oh, you're not a true fan like me because you enjoy this," or "I'm more of a fan than you are because I can recite more obscure meaningless trivia like what happened in one panel two hundred issues ago and was never mentioned again."

Invincible Member

The term "hipster" is pretty meaningless today. It's pretty much become a catch all insult aimed at anything or anyone under 35 that happens to annoy someone.

The word "hipster" has been overused into meaninglessness. Now it just means "anyone you feel threatened by because they seem cooler than you", which to most internet forum posters is everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pow! View Post
    The word "hipster" has been overused into meaninglessness. Now it just means "anyone you feel threatened by because they seem cooler than you", which to most internet forum posters is everyone.
    Speak for yourself. Nobody is cooler than me.

You hipster.

(that was a joke. laugh with me.)

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    Hipster material garners awards and critically-high praise because most of the comics industry is being run by hipsters.

Hipsters enjoy comics that are bland-looking to most people and contain dialogue that only they can understand.

Elitists, on the other hand, are more upstanding I find. Although they're most undesirable when they are arguing from the losing side of the discussion. They're hipsters disguised as elitists.
    I dunno...I think it's interesting that you'd call people like Tom Breevort, Geof Johns, the people who run Diamond Distrubution hipsters cuz they're the people who run the comic book industry, not a random dude who happens to like the Beach Boys.

Honestly, a lot of the guys in the comic book industry seem just as dorky as the comic reader stereotype. And from the way most of them write women, I'd believe they've never been on a date.

Incredible Member

"Hipster" is the size between "bikini" and "brief".
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

When somebody is being elitist, it means "Oh, you're not a true fan like me because you enjoy this," or "I'm more of a fan than you are because I can recite more obscure meaningless trivia like what happened in one panel two hundred issues ago and was never mentioned again."
    On the other side you have the "oh....... you read that book. Well I am going to read my very obscure indie book that only published 10 issues and is written all in latin, but you go ahead and enjoy your quant little ......mainstream.....book". Those are more of who I think of when someone is called an elitist.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    On the other side you have the "oh....... you read that book. Well I am going to read my very obscure indie book that only published 10 issues and is written all in latin, but you go ahead and enjoy your quant little ......mainstream.....book". Those are more of who I think of when someone is called an elitist.
    Those types are the crossover category where they consider themselves elitists but everyone else calls them hipsters.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Hipsters manage to be distinct in an ironic manner, and make you question if they're extremely self aware or not at all. Most "what does hipster even mean?" people are hipsters, and I don't mean to offend anyone here. But you know who they are... unless you are one?

Hipsters have the same swishy hair, big glasses, tight jeans, and pretentious love of the off-beat despite the fact that they generally embody conformity of the current times. They take polaroids in the woods or at parties where they play funky vinyl, and when they reads comics they typically go for obscure DIY stuff, staying away from the mainstream and occasionally going for stuff like Hawkeye... unless they know you expect them to.

EDIT: Here. If you look like this, you are a hipster. Don't fight it, just do what you do and be happy.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 08-06-2014 at 07:44 PM.

EDIT: Here. If you look like this, you are a hipster
    or a lumberjack.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

When I think of lumberjacks, I think of fiction because who the hell cuts down trees anymore? But real lumberjacks would probably have to be physically sturdy. Hipsters are almost expressly not physical people, even if they are aggro. Hipsters who get into crossfit technically transition to bros.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    What hipster means to me as a comics reader is...

...something that looks like this...

By that line of thinking, would you consider Steranko's design heavy art in the '60s to be 'hipster'?

Steranko.jpg

Or Walt Simonson on Manhunter in the '70s (although this particular page does come from the silent interlude from the '99 Special Edition)?

manhunter.jpg

Or Matt Wagner on Grendel in the '80s?

Grendel%20Devil%20Tales%201.jpg

Because from an aesthetic sense, it seems that what you define as 'hipster art' is actually a current version of design heavy art that's been with comics from their inception. Every one of these artists is rightfully considered a legend in the medium, and each of them has contributed greatly towards different ways to tell a story. There's nothing particularly new in what Aja is doing in Hawkeye-- it's a reclamation of what someone like Sternako was doing 45 years ago. Is Steranko a 'hipster'?

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Forget it, FB, it's Chinatown.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Because from an aesthetic sense, it seems that what you define as 'hipster art' is actually a current version of design heavy art that's been with comics from their inception. Every one of these artists is rightfully considered a legend in the medium, and each of them has contributed greatly towards different ways to tell a story. There's nothing particularly new in what Aja is doing in Hawkeye-- it's a reclamation of what someone like Sternako was doing 45 years ago. Is Steranko a 'hipster'?
    Aja to me is the only saving grace of that book.