View Poll Results: Should Black Lightning be moved to Freeland in canon?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea, move that boy to Freeland

19 73.08%
  • Nah, keep that boy where he is

7 26.92%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Should Black Lightning be moved to Freeland in canon?

I know a lot of fans have this peculiar distaste for anything from outside the comics being rolled into the comics' continuity, but I feel this particular case of intertextual synergy would be nothing but great. I feel the Black Lightning show has put ol' BL in the best position he's been in the public conciousness just about ever, and we see that with his character being used more in Outsiders and Young Justice. they tried to capitalize on Black Lightning's launch with the (ironically) lukewarm Cold Dead Hands mini but I think if they relaunched a Black Lightning solo anything they should take ques from the show and cement Freeland as Black Lightning's Gotham or Metropolis or Star City.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

As long as Thunder and Lightning are brought back regardless of location. Those two have so much untapped potential in the comics.

If we're on the subject of tv-movie synergy, they should make Tobias Whale albino again.

I liked Black Lightning's Superman connection with Suicide Slum in Year One but if we're spinning him as entirely his own IP then Freeland making the jump seems like a must.

But I think Thunder and Lightning being his actual daughters again and Tobias Whale being Albino are also really important.

DC has ton of fantasy cities Gotham,Star City, Coast City and Metropolis, I don't see the big deal in using another one

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think you can do both. He starts out in Suicide Slum and eventually moves to Freeland, possibly due to work or because it's the location of a school he wants his daughters to enroll in. If you go this route, however, you can't have the stipulation that Superman doesn't help the people there because then Jefferson would be abandoning his community he traditionally protects. Hell, have him leave SS as a result of working in President Luthor's cabinet as secretary of education again. Once Lex is no longer in office, Jeff no longer feels the need to devote so much attention to watching Luthor and steps down himself to focus on his family and career/community, so he moves to Freeland to start a new chapter in the Pierce family history.

Freeland is the best way to really take Jeff out from bigger character's shadows, but you absolutely need a strong creative team with the intent of fleshing it out as a character itself (like Robinson and Harris did with Opal City in Starman, having drawn maps and giving each district its own personality). He has the potential and I'd enjoy going down this path with Jefferson.

And dammit, make his lightning black. I know it's on-the-nose with his name, but dammit it's a cool visual and Flash stole lightning powers so let's allow Jefferson's to be more distinct and a lot cooler because, let's face it, he absolutely should trump The Flash in this respect. He's the lightning guy. Let him be the best at it.
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-13-2019 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I liked Black Lightning's Superman connection with Suicide Slum in Year One but if we're spinning him as entirely his own IP then Freeland making the jump seems like a must.

But I think Thunder and Lightning being his actual daughters again and Tobias Whale being Albino are also really important.
    Agreed on everything. I love that Jeff came from Suicide Slum, but in the interest of making him a totally solo IP Freeland is the smarter choice.

And the daughters feel like an absolute must. Whale being albino is definitely important too, I think, as it gives him a more unique visual. I mean, how many albinos are there in comics?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Agreed on everything. I love that Jeff came from Suicide Slum, but in the interest of making him a totally solo IP Freeland is the smarter choice.
    I'd be happier with de-couplling Suicide Slum and Metropolis.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I know a lot of fans have this peculiar distaste for anything from outside the comics being rolled into the comics' continuity, but I feel this particular case of intertextual synergy would be nothing but great. I feel the Black Lightning show has put ol' BL in the best position he's been in the public conciousness just about ever, and we see that with his character being used more in Outsiders and Young Justice. they tried to capitalize on Black Lightning's launch with the (ironically) lukewarm Cold Dead Hands mini but I think if they relaunched a Black Lightning solo anything they should take ques from the show and cement Freeland as Black Lightning's Gotham or Metropolis or Star City.
    They moved Supergirl to National City in the comic books to match up to the Supergirl TV show so it makes sense to move Black Lightning to Freeland in the comic books too.