View Poll Results: Should Black Lightning be moved to Freeland in canon?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea, move that boy to Freeland

19 73.08%
  • Nah, keep that boy where he is

7 26.92%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yeah but no one thinks of lightning control as his super power and creating lightning isn't something he does often. Jefferson also has a lightning logo and lightning is in his code name.
    Has he even done the lightning throw in the comics? I don't think he has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The nice thing about fictional cities is you don’t run into what’s happened to Marvel with NYC, where the comics portray an outdated NYC from the 80s with crime happening on every street while in real life NYC is safer than its been in years and crime is on the decline. Fictional cities can incorporate events that are happening in the real world cities also. But if you want to build up a fictional city you should really read Astro City by Busiek and use that as a blueprint. What are the different districts of your city? What’s the history? Where’s it located? What’s the culture like? Even something as simple as what national sports teams play there and what’s their names and mascots can really give a city character.
    Point of fact they had to use the Chitauri invasion in the first Avengers movie to justify turning Hell's Kitchen into the kind of place it is in the comics.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Freeland is the best way to really take Jeff out from bigger character's shadows, but you absolutely need a strong creative team with the intent of fleshing it out as a character itself (like Robinson and Harris did with Opal City in Starman, having drawn maps and giving each district its own personality). He has the potential and I'd enjoy going down this path with Jefferson.
    I agree with all of this.

I think Black Lightning and his family have a lot of untapped potential. Besides the Outsiders books it seems like they never really found a writer with the right approach to make the character and his supporting cast really work in a way that would click with a wider audience.

They should just copy the show and have Freeland be a black majority southern city the Pierce family make a home in that has a shadowy history with metahuman experimentation by clandestine government agencies.

Mighty Member

Freeland should definitely be canon. If I was writing it. I think i'd have Freeland take place in the south somewhere. I could be wrong but it seems like superhero stories only take place on the east coast or the west. I'd probably use The Black Wall Street as inspiration.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Astonishing Member

Freeland. That is a weird name for a DC city. I liked Brick City that was used in the 90s. Freeland -- no.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Freeland. That is a weird name for a DC city. I liked Brick City that was used in the 90s. Freeland -- no.
    Brick City is Newark, New Jersey and not a good place for a superhero unless his name were Redman.

Freeland sounds like a genuine comic book city that would be founded and populated primarily by people of color.

BANNED

Plus there are actual places named Freeland in real life.

The name Freeland sounds ...heh, imma keep it to myself, but sure why not.

BANNED

It is certainly a strange name to me. Personally, I wouldn't have used that name. Then again, I think Black Lightning is a weird name. So, in that, I actually think a name like Freeland is very fitting for the character, because the whole thing is already kinda' weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    It is certainly a strange name to me. Personally, I wouldn't have used that name. Then again, I think Black Lightning is a weird name. So, in that, I actually think a name like Freeland is very fitting for the character, because the whole thing is already kinda' weird.
    It's not "weird" it's just unapologetically black.

I say do it! I usually prefer it when Heroes have their own cities to protect and plus it opens the door for new storytelling opportunities with Jeff when he has a whole city to protect instead of just one part of it.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It's not "weird" it's just unapologetically black.
    Okay. Perhaps DC should rename their heroes to White Batman and White Wonder Woman, and so forth.
    Oh wait. I have another idea! I move that Freeland also be positioned in a new fictional state called New Congo! I mean, why not, it would be perfectly fitting with the theme of this hero. And, of course, it's not like it would be at all weird, or anything. Furthermore, it gives us another opportunity to be unapologetically black.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 10-31-2019 at 01:26 AM.

Mighty Member

Okay. Perhaps DC should rename their heroes to White Batman and White Wonder Woman, and so forth.
    Oh wait. I have another idea! I move that Freeland also be positioned in a new fictional state called New Congo! I mean, why not, it would be perfectly fitting with the theme of this hero. And, of course, it's not like it would be at all weird, or anything. Furthermore, it gives us another opportunity to be unapologetically black.

BL told Mister Terrific that he picked the name because was the only one of us around at the time. He wanted to make sure everyone knew who they were dealing with. So yeah, his name has significance.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

I wouldn't expect some people to appreciate it, or even understand. The glorious thing about this country and comic fandom as a whole are our diverse experiences and points of view.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    BL told Mister Terrific that he picked the name because was the only one of us around at the time. He wanted to make sure everyone knew who they were dealing with. So yeah, his name has significance.
    Are all the individuals Black Lightning deals with blind? It's not as if he's wearing a total shell like War Machine.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 10-31-2019 at 06:08 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I wouldn't expect some people to appreciate it, or even understand. The glorious thing about this country and comic fandom as a whole are our diverse experiences and points of view.
    I might appreciate it more if there wasn't an epidemic of black characters named black something-or-other. Nothing like that happens to any other race of character with nearly as much frequency. Just imagine if Cassandra Cain was the Yellow Orphan. I would think that was strange, just like I think this is strange.

Also, I hate to be pedantic, but I'm not sure what country you speak of, as this here is the internet, which is glorious in its own right, and is no particular country.