View Poll Results: Which of these DC Properties is Closest to Trinity Status?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Flash

19 37.25%
  • Green Lantern

12 23.53%
  • Aquaman

12 23.53%
  • Other

2 3.92%
  • None

6 11.76%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Oh, I absolutely have seen more Aquafans in the wild the last couple years than ever before. There's no question Arthur's tide is rising, but I weigh their entire histories when comparing them to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. With that respect, Flash is the marathon runner, Arthur was trailing behind and got a BIG second wind, but time will tell if he falls short.

For what it's worth, I've read/heard/talked to a lot of people who loved Miller. He's more divisive than Mamoa's Aquaman, but not universally reviled.

On the subject of Barry v Wally, the general populace doesn't even know they're different. It doesn't really matter, especially since DC keeps mining Wally for Barry's personality because they don't know how to make the latter interesting anymore. The big distinction is eye and hair colors since Barry stole Wally's belt, and you can't even see their hair. Most new DC fans watching JL (DCAU) for the first time will probably just think he's Barry under there because that's just how Barry acts half the time now.

A lot of general media fans think Green Lantern is black. They don't know it's not just one guy. They don't know Hal. Lord knows they won't know Alan, Guy or Simon. Kyle and Jessica have jumped into other media for a minute, but even then, the brand is what people know.
    It's 2019, not 2005. Hal's had plenty of outside media presence since his return. Jessica has gained more popularity recently as well, with DCSHG. At this point it's reasonable to assume that people know that Green Lantern is more than just the character they've seen in a 20 year old cartoon.

I'm voting "none".
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-13-2019 at 04:40 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It's 2019, not 2005. Hal's had plenty of outside media presence since his return. Jessica has gained more popularity recently as well, with DCSHG. At this point it's reasonable to assume that people know that Green Lantern is more than just the character they've seen in a 20 year old cartoon.
    I agree. That argument doesn't hold water anymore (if it ever really did to a large extent, IMO).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I'm going with Green Lantern by sheer worldbuilding, even though the number of colors is getting silly. What was the latest one? Snyder introduced it in Justice League I think? I forget, but I remember laughing when I first heard it.
    ULTRAVIOLET! XD
    Might as well introduce Infrared while you're at it
    OMIGOSH I WAS JOKING
    I'm reading the article right now and didn't know he actually does introduce Infrared

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I Never realised, aquaman wasn't a legacy until now. Crazy. I love garth, though.
    Makes me wonder what would be said if his movie never would have come out, like “What about his comics?”

I voted for Flash. Question: I see 5 nones and no others. Are the nones saying that no one comes close to the Trinity? Or do you mean none of the above?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I went with Flash because it seems like he hangs out with Superman a lot and so Superman would probably bring Flash along when he gets together with Wonder Woman and Batman.
    Aquaman and Green Lantern don't seem as close to the rest of the characters.
    Was green lantern a super friend?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Was green lantern a super friend?
    Not originally, but he was by 1978 (same with Flash, though he did help them in its first season for an episode).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I voted Green Lantern because that properties resurgence is fresh in my mind, but it's died down again. So I think overall it may be the Flash, though and GL are pretty close.

Aquaman is very close now in recent years due to the movie, but but not historically. And even now he still sells low as a comic.

Part of what makes the Trinity, the Trinity is that they have been continuously published as the headliner in their own title since the 1940s (or 30s in two of the cases). None of those on that list will ever meet that qualification no matter how popular they currently are. None of them have even been continuously published as headliner in their own book since they debuted either, each has had a period where they didn't have a book, or shared their book with other characters who were co-headliners. So I voted none.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Part of what makes the Trinity, the Trinity is that they have been continuously published as the headliner in their own title since the 1940s (or 30s in two of the cases). None of those on that list will ever meet that qualification no matter how popular they currently are. None of them have even been continuously published as headliner in their own book since they debuted either, each has had a period where they didn't have a book, or shared their book with other characters who were co-headliners. So I voted none.

-M
    Well in that case, does Blackhawk come closest then?

Traditionally I’d say it’s the Flash. Right now it feels like Aquaman though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

I'm voting "none".
    Yeah Hal and Jessica are the two most well known Lanterns at this point. Stewart is only really still well-known among the DCAU and comic crowd, his brand has faded, but he’s still probably the second or third most popular Lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    I voted for Flash. Question: I see 5 nones and no others. Are the nones saying that no one comes close to the Trinity? Or do you mean none of the above?
    Is there currently much of a gap between Aquaman and Wonder Woman popularity? I'm guessing merchandising gives her an edge maybe? Because otherwise, they're both household names. His movie made more bank. IMO, his comics have been better than her's for a long time.

If you ask DC publishing, probably Harley Quinn .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Traditionally I’d say it’s the Flash. Right now it feels like Aquaman though.

Yeah Hal and Jessica are the two most well known Lanterns at this point. Stewart is only really still well-known among the DCAU and comic crowd, his brand has faded, but he’s still probably the second or third most popular Lantern.
    Fair enough, but I still hold that John is still well known. Jessica's push of late and the movie may have changed that, but I also remember an interview where NK Jemisin had to explain she had no idea Hal even existed until recently, and a lot of people I spoke to are similar. I think everyone is going to assume that one Green Lantern "counts" until we see them appear together in other media.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Well in that case, does Blackhawk come closest then?

There have been long gaps with no Blackhawk title (and it didn't even start at DC), so it's not even close. Maybe the Spielberg movie in the works might give it a bump in popularity if it ever gets made, but the last time they tried to make a Blackhawk movie (in the 80s) barely got the title revived for a short run and a prose novel published without doing much for its overall popularity. So not even close for Blackhawk I am afraid. And continuous publishing is not the only thing that makes a trinity member, but it is one of the factors and it's one no DC character outside the current Trinity can achieve. Aquaman and Green Arrow still had their own strips post-Golden Age, outliving Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman and the other GA heroes, but not their own titles (Green Arrow didn't have his first solo headline series until the 80s). So while current popularity and merchandising are certainly factors, and ones the other heroes can match (or possibly surpass) a current Trinity member on, none of them can bring the continuous publication in their own title credential to the table that Batman,Superman and Wonder Woman can (though part of the reason Wonder Woman stayed in print in her own title was that DC's agreement with the Marston estate required it or they would lose the rights to the character altogether).

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato