View Poll Results: Which of these DC Properties is Closest to Trinity Status?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Flash

19 37.25%
  • Green Lantern

12 23.53%
  • Aquaman

12 23.53%
  • Other

2 3.92%
  • None

6 11.76%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Which of these DC Properties is Closest to Trinity Status?

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 10-12-2019 at 11:24 PM.

Green Lantern can carry more books than Wonder Woman, so I'd pick that if anything.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Aquaman cause of his movie

BANNED

Aquaman, because of his successful movie, and everyone can happily agree on who the main character is, and is supposed to be. And the main character's position as the main character isn't in any kind of real dispute like Flash and Green Lantern are constantly dealing with. Arthur is also the original Aquaman, unlike Hal Jordan and Barry Allen for their respective mantles.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Aquaman, because of his successful movie, and everyone can happily agree on who the main character is, and is supposed to be. And the main character's position as the main character isn't in any kind of real dispute like Flash and Green Lantern are constantly dealing with. Arthur is also the original Aquaman, unlike Hal Jordan and Barry Allen for their respective mantles.
    I Never realised, aquaman wasn't a legacy until now. Crazy. I love garth, though.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The Flash. I realize Arthur's movie was strong, but Flash has more overall and consistent presence across multiple forms of media, more successful runs in comics and better overall sales. I think more Flash stuff can sell whereas if he doesn't look like Mamoa, I wonder how many people will want to purchase Aquaman media. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The Flash. I realize Arthur's movie was strong, but Flash has more overall and consistent presence across multiple forms of media, more successful runs in comics and better overall sales. I think more Flash stuff can sell whereas if he doesn't look like Mamoa, I wonder how many people will want to purchase Aquaman media. Time will tell.
    Where?if you mean barry allen. He has a tv series, that's it. The movie version is not very well received.Aquaman on the other hand had a great decade. He has decent comics. He had decent animated movie(throne of Atlantis) with him as main or central character. He had a phenomenal successful live action movie. I would say the guy smokes the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Where?if you mean barry allen. He has a tv series, that's it. The movie version is not very well received.Aquaman on the other hand had a great decade. He has decent comics. He had decent animated movie(throne of Atlantis) with him as main or central character. He had a phenomenal successful live action movie. I would say the guy smokes the other two.
    Flashpoint Paradox, more presence in the DC animated movies, also had his own Lego movie. Selling better than he has in over a decade despite no real movie. Even going back a bit to the DCAU, Flash was a key character. Arthur was a guest.

I like Aquaman more than I like the Flash, but frankly, I see a lot more presence from Flash across media than any other of the big three. Arthur is getting a push right now, but it's literally just the movie. He spent forty years as a joke and only now is getting respect. The Flash has consistently been a bigger name and has yet to have his rise to prominence and then fall from grace like GL has of late. Yeah, Miller wasn't the most successful take on Barry. Was Justice League really great for anyone?

Arthur struggles to get anyone to read his books no matter what's going on. They gave him a team book during the New 52 and it died very quickly. I'm not saying the movie wasn't successful. I'm not saying people don't like Aquaman. I'm saying he's not the closest to the Trinity, characters who have been a massive presence in pop culture over 80 years. Arthur is only close if we're considering his status as a joke character never leaving the public conscience, but then nobody was buying his shirts and lunchboxes. I see more Star Labs (which most people just think is a Flash thing) shirts, more Flash logos, more Central City Track and Field shirts day-to-day than I do anything related to Aquaman.

Astonishing Member

I'd voted for 'None'...which is to say, I think all three of them are about equally close to being on par with the Trinity. These are the six biggest DC brands, taken together collectively.

As far as I'm concerned, all three have had their shot at the spotlight, but there's no consistent winner as such.

Green Lantern looked like he could take the No. 4 spot close to a decade ago, with his movie, animated series, and the sheer magnitude of the GL mythos and franchise. But the movie wasn't that great and it does seem like the enthusiasm to push GL outside of the comics has died down a bit. Notice how he wasn't even part of the Justice League movie! (though that may have been a good thing for him, ultimately...)

The Flash has become a household name thanks to the TV show and his consistent presence in animation, as well as the movie. (even though the pop-cultural perception of the character is a kind of amalgamation of Barry and Wally). There's a LOT of general interest in his movie, and the Flashpoint storyline in particular. He is a solid contender for thw No. 4 spot, but somehow I don't feel he's there yet.

Aquaman is the latest contender for 'Trinity status'. In fact, right now I'd argue that he's probably closest to it, riding off the success of his movie. Aquaman has also had a pretty consistent presence in pop-culture, more consistent than that of the Flash and GL I'd argue. It also helps that, for the most part, he's been one character and not a mantle or a legacy, I suppose. But time will tell whether Aquaman continues to have staying power.

Flashpoint Paradox, more presence in the DC animated movies, also had his own Lego movie. Selling better than he has in over a decade despite no real movie. Even going back a bit to the DCAU, Flash was a key character. Arthur was a guest.

I like Aquaman more than I like the Flash, but frankly, I see a lot more presence from Flash across media than any other of the big three. Arthur is getting a push right now, but it's literally just the movie. He spent forty years as a joke and only now is getting respect. The Flash has consistently been a bigger name and has yet to have his rise to prominence and then fall from grace like GL has of late. Yeah, Miller wasn't the most successful take on Barry. Was Justice League really great for anyone?

Arthur struggles to get anyone to read his books no matter what's going on. They gave him a team book during the New 52 and it died very quickly. I'm not saying the movie wasn't successful. I'm not saying people don't like Aquaman. I'm saying he's not the closest to the Trinity, characters who have been a massive presence in pop culture over 80 years. Arthur is only close if we're considering his status as a joke character never leaving the public conscience, but then nobody was buying his shirts and lunchboxes. I see more Star Labs (which most people just think is a Flash thing) shirts, more Flash logos, more Central City Track and Field shirts day-to-day than I do anything related to Aquaman.
    Mamoa wasn't hated in jl as a dude bro aquaman. People thought the flash was wierd. Dcau had wally. Even if you count that. dcau had a great badass aquaman who cut of his hands to protect his child.
    Yeah! I forgot about Flashpoint. But, it was basically a movie about how barry screwed up. If you are talking about jokes then barry f-ing up the timeline is the new one. Even as joke, aquaman is a presence in public consciousness.i mean, john cena was wearing orange and green once. They were able to captalise and flip it with aquamamoa take. I doubt flash movie will be join the billion dollar club. Aquaman is basically that lame kid in high school who became a jacked up successfull dude. My firm belief is that He is going to be the next big thing for dc.

As sales of merchandise.yes, flash as whole may have sold more. But, aquaman ip merchandise sales is like a wave. While, the flash on the other hand isn't that. He has a tv show that has steady following. Tv shows means,people buying merchandise more frequently. A movie on the other hand will have only high merchandise sales during it release.
    I do see many aquaman tshirts on the market than ever before. Heck! I see non fan casual people buying and wearing them. With flash i see more comic book crowd casual or otherwise wearing them. That's a big difference.

Oh, I absolutely have seen more Aquafans in the wild the last couple years than ever before. There's no question Arthur's tide is rising, but I weigh their entire histories when comparing them to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. With that respect, Flash is the marathon runner, Arthur was trailing behind and got a BIG second wind, but time will tell if he falls short.

For what it's worth, I've read/heard/talked to a lot of people who loved Miller. He's more divisive than Mamoa's Aquaman, but not universally reviled.

On the subject of Barry v Wally, the general populace doesn't even know they're different. It doesn't really matter, especially since DC keeps mining Wally for Barry's personality because they don't know how to make the latter interesting anymore. The big distinction is eye and hair colors since Barry stole Wally's belt, and you can't even see their hair. Most new DC fans watching JL (DCAU) for the first time will probably just think he's Barry under there because that's just how Barry acts half the time now.

A lot of general media fans think Green Lantern is black. They don't know it's not just one guy. They don't know Hal. Lord knows they won't know Alan, Guy or Simon. Kyle and Jessica have jumped into other media for a minute, but even then, the brand is what people know.
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-13-2019 at 02:29 AM.

Oh cool, I thought green lantern would be leading but Aquaman is doing really well! He’s my fave of the seven

Oh, I absolutely have seen more Aquafans in the wild the last couple years than ever before. There's no question Arthur's tide is rising, but I weigh their entire histories when comparing them to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. With that respect, Flash is the marathon runner, Arthur was trailing behind and got a BIG second wind, but time will tell if he falls short.

For what it's worth, I've read/heard/talked to a lot of people who loved Miller. He's more divisive than Mamoa's Aquaman, but not universally reviled.

On the subject of Barry v Wally, the general populace doesn't even know they're different. It doesn't really matter, especially since DC keeps mining Wally for Barry's personality because they don't know how to make the latter interesting anymore. The big distinction is eye and hair colors since Barry stole Wally's belt, and you can't even see their hair. Most new DC fans watching JL (DCAU) for the first time will probably just think he's Barry under there because that's just how Barry acts half the time now.

A lot of general media fans think Green Lantern is black. They don't know it's not just one guy. They don't know Hal. Lord knows they won't know Alan, Guy or Simon. Kyle and Jessica have jumped into other media for a minute, but even then, the brand is what people know.
    Well, it matters when fanbases are created. I don't think mining wally is a sustainable thing the character was unmasked in the show multiple times and name dropped multiple times only people that don't know are tbe oncs that didn't watch it regularly . Besides, that I do believe people know or will get to know when they or if they transition from casual to casual "fan". They don't even need to be "fan", just a casual one. I mean generally , cw fans know redhead wally west is a thing and is pretty much a core to the mythos. They might hate it, but they know it. There is also the fact wally west is pretty popular character as not just flash, but as kid flash in teen titans and young justice.

Legacy will always split fanbases. Alternate is creating different versions. That splits fanbases as well.And makes the character an archetype, rather than tangible character. Superman has fallen to this. For god knows why batman seems to be escape this fate in many ways. But, even that character has struggled with it. Wonder woman is all over the place.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-13-2019 at 04:24 AM.

I went with Flash because it seems like he hangs out with Superman a lot and so Superman would probably bring Flash along when he gets together with Wonder Woman and Batman.
    Aquaman and Green Lantern don't seem as close to the rest of the characters.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    While I would say Arthur has it at the moment, I don't think he smokes Barry. It wasn't that long ago Aquaman was considered (wrongly), to be a joke. something the Flash has never been. With a successful TV show and comic book to his name, a profitable and well-received film would vault the Scarlet Speedster to the top comfortably, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?