Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default HOX/POX OOC X-men?

I’ve seen a lot of people post about some of the x-men seeming out of character with their views and behavior. Cyclops seems to be the Boy Scout again. Jean seems to have gone back to her Marvel Girl persona. Storm seems very pro-mutant (not a bad thing.. she should have been like this during IVX!)

We don’t really know what events may have changed (big or small) with this 10th life, but do you think Xavier may have reset some minds to their optimal personality to fulfill his goals. We know that Cyclops definitely outgrew Xavier in the past for his less than amazing past. Jean doesn’t seem as fiery. While we have only seen some characters with dialogue, is it possible that this are just back ups that he picked? We know he reset himself twice. Did he do the same to some of the x-men that we will find out later?

BANNED

Currently it's all in the air and anything is possible. That said it could be possible that Xavier 'reset' them after seeing them moping in the astonishing annual to a more happier mindset.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

The other option is Krakoa doping them, possibly complicit with Xavier?

Or it’s all paranoia In our reading of the comics and it’s just the way Hickman writes them?

Didn’t Jean reference something that happened during Inferno when she got resurrected? The only thing she’s maintaining from her ‘Marvel Girl’ era is the costume.

The militancy just comes from a combination of being done with human bullshit and for once having a leg to stand on, politically speaking. There’s a cause to really get behind. I could see the whole cloning plotline coming into this, but I’m hesitant to say it’ll explain away this new “extremism”. It makes sense as natural character progression.

I’ll admit, I was really worried about Jean’s characterization in hox 3/4, but after reading 6 i think she’s in good hands. As for the others, I’ve been pretty much okay with how they’re portrayed. We’re supposed to be a bit put off/surprised by their actions

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    The militancy just comes from a combination of being done with human bullshit and for once having a leg to stand on, politically speaking. There’s a cause to really get behind. I could see the whole cloning plotline coming into this, but I’m hesitant to say it’ll explain away this new “extremism”. It makes sense as natural character progression.

I’ll admit, I was really worried about Jean’s characterization in hox 3/4, but after reading 6 i think she’s in good hands. As for the others, I’ve been pretty much okay with how they’re portrayed. We’re supposed to be a bit put off/surprised by their actions
    Agreed 100%
    To which I'll add...I'm not that surprised by their tone/attitude to their characters because:
    This is not Claremont's X-Men. Different time, different premise.
    The place of power in which they now find themselves engenders a new tone/attitude. A bold, fierce, independent spirit is needed to keep, protect and develop what they're building on Krakoa.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

While Jean appeared to take the deaths of her team poorly in House of X 4, she doesn't seem to be mutant supremacist like some others were veering toward. I like how she continued to care for the welfare of humans like when not wanting to kill non combatants in the space station and coming up with the kill no humans law.

Jean appeared in like 5 or 6 group scenes in a supporting role. The claims of her being pushed back to her Marvel Girl persona seem more connected to her costume than anything else to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Thunderbird View Post
    While Jean appeared to take the deaths of her team poorly in House of X 4, she doesn't seem to be mutant supremacist like some others were veering toward. I like how she continued to care for the welfare of humans like when not wanting to kill non combatants in the space station and coming up with the kill no humans law.
    The "Kill No Humans" law would suggest that they have no intentions of supremacy over humans. That they are still hoping for peaceful co-existence but...on their terms. The Dream continues but through a new and different lens bourne out of new and different motivations.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Jean appeared in like 5 or 6 group scenes in a supporting role. The claims of her being pushed back to her Marvel Girl persona seem more connected to her costume than anything else to me.
    I agree with you after reading hox6. that felt like Jean. She was empathetic, unwavering and just a lil bit scary. A leader among her peers. In her earlier appearances in the series she felt like a Jean cut-out, which like you said could just be because she was in a supporting role
    Last edited by houndsofluv; 10-13-2019 at 08:11 AM.

I feel like the villains(except Sabretooth) are acting more OOC than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    The "Kill No Humans" law would suggest that they have no intentions of supremacy over humans. That they are still hoping for peaceful co-existence but...on their terms. The Dream continues but through a new and different lens bourne out of new and different motivations.
    Yeah, that's how I see it too. I think it's a question of fully integrated coexistence which has never worked and the humans keep working against the Dream. Or a more restrained coexistence where they unite and consolidate their position in such a way that the humans have to negotiate with them as equals. Generally they are trying to level the playing field.

As for terrorists like Orchis. The X-Men are not treating Orchis any different that the United States treated the Taliban. The terrorist organization Orchis has been confirmed to be constructing destructive weapons for a pending terrorist attack on the free nation of Krakoa. Krakoa's special forces have been deployed on missions to defeat Orchis and to stop the terrorist attacks before they happen.

I do think that the Krakoan population are being "encouraged" to not question things too much and that Xavier may be controlling them to a degree, or the island itself is doing it.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

I think this is just Hickman’s voice for the characters- unfortunately.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Yeah, that's how I see it too. I think it's a question of fully integrated coexistence which has never worked and the humans keep working against the Dream. Or a more restrained coexistence where they unite and consolidate their position in such a way that the humans have to negotiate with them as equals. Generally they are trying to level the playing field.

As for terrorists like Orchis. The X-Men are not treating Orchis any different that the United States treated the Taliban. The terrorist organization Orchis has been confirmed to be constructing destructive weapons for a pending terrorist attack on the free nation of Krakoa. Krakoa's special forces have been deployed on missions to defeat Orchis and to stop the terrorist attacks before they happen.

I do think that the Krakoan population are being "encouraged" to not question things too much and that Xavier may be controlling them to a degree, or the island itself is doing it.
    Yupp.
    Ive Considered that possibility..
    If they are ingesting the Krakoan "herbs"...and Krakoa is sentient...then it could be the Island's influence over them...not in a harmful way, but more like...symbiotically protective.
    In PoX 02, Erik asks Mystique: "Have you noticed the effect this place is having?...a well:spring of hope..."
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 10-13-2019 at 10:57 AM.

To me it's about the X-Men realizing no matter what peaceful overtures they make to humans, especially humans seem to reject them, that they need to stnad up for themselves and have a safe space for themselves akin to Israel or Black Lives Matter.