Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    The "Kill No Humans" law would suggest that they have no intentions of supremacy over humans. That they are still hoping for peaceful co-existence but...on their terms. The Dream continues but through a new and different lens bourne out of new and different motivations.
    This is where I am at. I think the characterization is on point.

Mighty Member

So after Hickman’s answers for x-men Monday, no one thinks some of these characters went to an earlier back up?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

So after HiX-Man's answers for X-Men Monday...I'm thinking Jean definitely.
    That said, I don't think it really matters, going forward...not until it's actually addressed in-story, if it's addressed in story.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

That said, I don't think it really matters, going forward...not until it's actually addressed in-story, if it's addressed in story.
    I mean, I think it matters so far as losing a lot of growth we've gotten from some of these characters in recent years--Jean especially! (I was so rooting for her as a leader during the X-Men Blue/Red runs!)

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    I mean, I think it matters so far as losing a lot of growth we've gotten from some of these characters in recent years--Jean especially! (I was so rooting for her as a leader during the X-Men Blue/Red runs!)
    Hmmm...on one hand, I could see how it might come across to the Character-specific fans but...in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it will be problematic or even a detraction for the character going forward. Especially if it sets up the character(s) for further growth going forward.
    Those stories we read and appreciated (XMRed) are still valid...just probably not 100% relevant to this new direction..."probably" (because we aren't certain if or how it will be addressed).
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Hmmm...on one hand, I could see how it might come across to the Character-specific fans but...in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it will be problematic or even a detraction for the character going forward. Especially if it sets up the character(s) for further growth going forward.
    Those stories we read and appreciated (XMRed) are still valid...just probably not 100% relevant to this new direction...probably.

So...not valid, in other words? I'm struggling to see how you draw that distinction?

And...if we do lose that growth then surely that is problematic in the grand-scheme of things? It's definitely going to be a detraction for the character because, a) we'll have probably seen this growth handled recently and, possibly, better in previous runs and b) it makes for a potentially weaker narrative. For example; if Rogue were in constant fear of being unable to control her powers rather than having a degree of mastery in it as seen in Mr and Mrs X #10? Or if Jean's telepathy continues to overwhelm her rather than being able to keep a fair degree of calm and control?

"Not relevant" does not equate "invalid".

It's only problematic to the reader who is subjectively asking/wanting that 'continuation'...because they loved that characterisation and development.
    It's not 'problematic' for the reader who can objectively accept/understand that this 'regression' is a result of the resurrection process and the possibility that it was specifically decided/chosen for plot reasons...and isn't just an arbitrary whim of the writer.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 10-14-2019 at 03:38 PM.

BANNED

"Not relevant" does not equate "invalid".

It's only problematic to the reader who is subjectively asking/wanting that 'continuation'...because they loved that characterisation and development.
    It's not 'problematic' for the reader who can objectively accept/understand that this 'regression' is a result of the resurrection process and the possibility that it was specifically decided/chosen for plot reasons...and isn't just an arbitrary whim of the writer.
    That still seems like a bit of a cop-out answer, to be honest? Not to mention an utter waste?

It's the best I can give. Maybe someone else will have another perspective that you can adhere to/agree with.
    I definitely fall into the latter category of it being not a problem, at all. Eventhough, i personally loved her characterisation in XMRed.
    So...

Astonishing Member

I honestly don't think it's Jean or rather if she is an earlier version of herself it didn't happen voluntarily. The Phoenix offered to revert Jean back to an earlier version of herself before all the trauma she experienced and Jean flat out rejected that offer saying that the pain/loss makes her who she is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I honestly don't think it's Jean or rather if she is an earlier version of herself it didn't happen voluntarily. The Phoenix offered to revert Jean back to an earlier version of herself before all the trauma she experienced and Jean flat out rejected that offer saying that the pain/loss makes her who she is.
    Yeah, exactly; it seems like a pretty egregious retcon if it's never addressed?

Was that not written by Rosenberg? And if so...then...like everything he's done pre-HoX/PoX, it can be ignored. I believe, HiX-Man is following his own creative trajectory and not necessarily adhering to what any previous writer might have wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Yeah, exactly; it seems like a pretty egregious retcon if it's never addressed?
    Jean really isn't a person to runaway from her traumas and problems. I really want to see how this gonna play, it can only be a Xavier thing

BANNED

Was that not written by Rosenberg? And if so...then...like everything he's done pre-HoX/PoX, it can be ignored. I believe, HiX-Man is following his own creative trajectory and not necessarily adhering to what any previous writer might have wanted.
    So...by that reasoning, so can the very real threat of violence and extinction that Rosenberg set up? The overtly anti-mutant stance the humans took, Rahne's traumatic death that might play into her wanting to join Krakoa? That too? I'd have thought that would be a rather important point to consider in the creation of Krakoa itself?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Jean really isn't a person to runaway from her traumas and problems. I really want to see how this gonna play, it can only be a Xavier thing
    Oh definitely; I still don't trust that git even a bit. Now more than ever, actually.