Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Well speaking hypothetically; because death is traumatic? Because it might be a good narrative device for that character? Because it might come up in conversation regarding the whole resurrections themselves?
    Rahne has died before, so have plenty of the X-Men. The point now is that their trauma has been fueled into accepting this mutant paradise and all coming under one banner. Still not getting why Rosencanny has to be mentioned when the whole point of that run was “humans really hate mutants” and that point was very clear throughout X-History. I just don’t see that doing anything for her nor adding anything to the book. I don’t want to still read about her pain and anguish when not only could that be almost everyone on the team (Sunspot, Magik, Karma, Mirage, Warlock) but that concept already being so integral to the foundation of Krakoa that any dialogue around “yeah i know we’re on this space mission but i am traumatized by this one specific thing even though my entire career as an x-man was traumatic” feels so unnecessary.
    Last edited by Tycon; 10-15-2019 at 07:30 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    And why would her being revived be brought up? I doubt that’ll happen for anyone else, unless it happens in the new Dawn of X books.
    And...
    Didn't HiX-Man say hey/they will not be delving into pre-Krakoa plot-points? Certain issues will be addressed if it suits story in the moment to show a juxtaposition of/for the character then and now but there isn't going to be any in-depth retelling.

It seems as though the writers are of the mind that the very recent story-lines are not that relevant, if at all, to the Krakoa Era going forward...and I'm very good with that.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 10-15-2019 at 07:29 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    And...
    Didn't HiX-Man say hey/they will not be delving into pre-Krakoa plot-points? Certain issues will be addressed if it suits story in the moment to show a juxtaposition of/for the character then and now but there isn't going to be any in-depth retelling.

It seems as though the writers are of the mind that the very recent story-lines are not that relevant, if at all, to the Krakoa Era going forward...and I'm very good with that.
    I think they have used enough from the most recent run anyway. The reason for founding Krakoa is because humans have become so oppressive in the last few years that the only way they can be safe is to establish their own free nation where they are not constantly being subjugated by the humans at every turn.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Exactatiously.
    While they may be mindful of "how" and "why" they got to "Krakoa-Mutant Nation", the recent past really doesn't add anything new to the narrative going forward...if anything, it was just one of the 'catalysts". I think they'll be more focused on how they build, protect and keep their new-found home.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Incredible Member

Out of curiosity, how long has everyone been reading X-Men? I'm curious to see if it's certain fans who dislike this new direction. Like, I've been reading for decades and I hate this take on them. I agree that they are OOC and I think not addressing past characterization means that Hickman wants to write his versions of the characters and not the established versions which is a cop out IMO. I'm just curious if it's newer fans who like this new direction or if it's long time fans, or what.

I have been reading X-Men since Excalibur #1 Vol #1. I collected back issues going back to Days of Future Past so I could follow how Rachel and Kitty became part of the X-Men, two of my favorite characters.

I like the new direction, but I also liked Utopia, and I liked Uncanny X-Men based in Canada lead by Cyclops, Emma, Magneto, and Illyana.

For me the inevitable direction of mutant kind is to form a united nation, it's the only way they can survive in the face of the endless racism and genocide perpetuated and supported by the majority of human world governments.

Like any nation there are problems on Krakoa, differing personalities, and differing opinions. I can imagine at minimum that Selene, Mystique, Sabretooth, and Sinister are for sure going to cause problems in the future. Apocalypse will probably cause a problem eventually but he is most likely playing a long game that won't come to fruition until later in Dawn of X.

So for me, I love that they have their own nation and I hope they keep Krakoa for years to come and survive all the drama, trials, and tribulations that will come out of the next few years of comics. 10 years from now I want the X-Men to still be operating out of Krakoa where we get to see regular images of mutants being happy, children being happy, and not having to live their lives in constant fear that the humans are going to try and exterminate them tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Out of curiosity, how long has everyone been reading X-Men? I'm curious to see if it's certain fans who dislike this new direction. Like, I've been reading for decades and I hate this take on them. I agree that they are OOC and I think not addressing past characterization means that Hickman wants to write his versions of the characters and not the established versions which is a cop out IMO. I'm just curious if it's newer fans who like this new direction or if it's long time fans, or what.
    Hard to say, for me seems mixed but it seems like newer fans can easily accept.

Seems like Hickman is writing x-men how he wants and not how they have been for a long time. It is normal when writers want to shake up, ignore past characterizations

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I have been reading since 2015, I don't think fans have to been reading for decades to get the characters.
    I also don't like some of things Hickman has hinted.

I've been reading for decades since the 1983...but only 'keeping tabs' and jumping in and out, during the last 10 years or so...and I absolutely LOVE what HiX-Man has done/is doing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I have been reading X-Men since Excalibur #1 Vol #1. I collected back issues going back to Days of Future Past so I could follow how Rachel and Kitty became part of the X-Men, two of my favorite characters.

I like the new direction, but I also liked Utopia, and I liked Uncanny X-Men based in Canada lead by Cyclops, Emma, Magneto, and Illyana.

For me the inevitable direction of mutant kind is to form a united nation, it's the only way they can survive in the face of the endless racism and genocide perpetuated and supported by the majority of human world governments.

Like any nation there are problems on Krakoa, differing personalities, and differing opinions. I can imagine at minimum that Selene, Mystique, Sabretooth, and Sinister are for sure going to cause problems in the future. Apocalypse will probably cause a problem eventually but he is most likely playing a long game that won't come to fruition until later in Dawn of X.

So for me, I love that they have their own nation and I hope they keep Krakoa for years to come and survive all the drama, trials, and tribulations that will come out of the next few years of comics. 10 years from now I want the X-Men to still be operating out of Krakoa where we get to see regular images of mutants being happy, children being happy, and not having to live their lives in constant fear that the humans are going to try and exterminate them tomorrow.
    See this I whole heartedly disagree with. Should minorities be forced to create their own nation because they've faced discrimination and adversity? No. Neither should the X-Men. Instead, they should, as they have for most of their history, work towards acceptance and equality. Creating your own nation just heightens the "us vs them" mentality and will do nothing to gain peace. It didn't work with Genosha or Utopia and it won't work here unless the writers just ignore human nature and history.

It is interesting to see the responses though. I don't think you have to have read the X-Men for decades to understand their characters but I think it helps to see how OOC they are written in these stories. I honestly don't think Hickman understands the characters but wanted to tackle the subject matter instead so instead of developing them in a natural manner to get to where he wants them, he just did an abrupt jump that is jarring to many. That's great for those how enjoy it but as someone who grew up with the X-Men and has read pretty much everything back to Giant Size X-Men number 1, these are definitely OOC to me. That being said, I was not a fan of Utopia either. I think Fraction was a terrible X-Men writer.

See this I whole heartedly disagree with. Should minorities be forced to create their own nation because they've faced discrimination and adversity? No. Neither should the X-Men. Instead, they should, as they have for most of their history, work towards acceptance and equality. Creating your own nation just heightens the "us vs them" mentality and will do nothing to gain peace. It didn't work with Genosha or Utopia and it won't work here unless the writers just ignore human nature and history.

It is interesting to see the responses though. I don't think you have to have read the X-Men for decades to understand their characters but I think it helps to see how OOC they are written in these stories. I honestly don't think Hickman understands the characters but wanted to tackle the subject matter instead so instead of developing them in a natural manner to get to where he wants them, he just did an abrupt jump that is jarring to many. That's great for those how enjoy it but as someone who grew up with the X-Men and has read pretty much everything back to Giant Size X-Men number 1, these are definitely OOC to me. That being said, I was not a fan of Utopia either. I think Fraction was a terrible X-Men writer.
    You still use "should." Yes, in an ideal world they should do that.

But they do not live in an ideal world. And that system was not working, it was killing them. It is obvious that they choose the lesser evil. Xavier would prefer to live in coexistence with humans, we have seen that he prefers it in numerous previous lives of Moira. But if it has not worked, if they continue to die, what is the alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Hard to say, for me seems mixed but it seems like newer fans can easily accept.

Seems like Hickman is writing x-men how he wants and not how they have been for a long time. It is normal when writers want to shake up, ignore past characterizations
    If the author doesn't give a damn about past characterizations, why does he use well-known characters? He could have made a similar story but called the X-men the Y-people and the Mutants the Outcasts, for example…
    My opinion is that he wanted to shake up readers, provoke them in their belief of knowing who the X-men are.
    Well, an author can imagine what he wants, I can believe what I want too and drawing people like X-men and calling them X-men doesn't make them necessarily X-men to me…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

But how do you work toward acceptance and equality when the people around you don't just hate you, they are trying to kill all of your people in a genocide. In the world at large, people flee from a genocide and end up as refugees. The mutants are strong enough and resourceful enough to establish a nation to retreat too, but in the end they are refugees fleeing from the oppression, subjugation, and genocide of the human race.

You can only work for acceptance and equality of both sides want to participate, if one side wants to kill all of your people the only option available for simple survival is to flee from the oppression.

During the time of slavery in the United states, the only option for African Americans was to flee North in the underground railroad and most likely to Canada where slavery was illegal. Even in some parts of the North they could be apprehended and sent back to the South, that's why most of them moved to Canada where they couldn't be sent back to slavery.

People who are oppressed, subjugated, or hunted down for extermination is to flee from your oppressors or start a war with your oppressors.

There is a very good chance that even after they fled to a free nation and established a military to defend themselves and attained economic and political recognition through the United Nations, there is still a very good chance that humans will declare war on Krakoa and try to exterminate the mutant race, the only difference now is that a war of this kind will cost the humans dearly and they will suffer massive casualties if they try to engage the mutants in their stronghold of Krakoa.

Mighty Member

I’ve been reading for at least 30 years. I’m loving what is happening now. I am digging how things have been thought out to go into this new direction. I also think that some of these characters are being written out of character for a specific reason and NOT because he just wants to write them this way. I think he’s more thought out than that

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    I’ve been reading for at least 30 years. I’m loving what is happening now. I am digging how things have been thought out to go into this new direction. I also think that some of these characters are being written out of character for a specific reason and NOT because he just wants to write them this way. I think he’s more thought out than that
    I suppose it's a matter of trust… you trust Hickman, I don't…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe