Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Most superheroes these days also don’t have any civilian cast members anymore. Their co-workers are all super heroes, their friends/love interests are superheroes, etc. Really only the Big 3 of Supes, Bats, and Spidey have such fleshed out civilian lives that they would lose a lot if their secret identities would ever permanently go away.
    Something that I find very sad.

BANNED

Come to think of it, Jane Foster also has a secret id. Sentry, Darkhawk, Giant Man2 also have secret ids if I'm not mistaken.

I included Jane in my list. Yeah, she's secret as both Thor and Valkyrie, and I think the public don't even know her two Asgardian personas are the same person.

You're right about Darkhawk. Sentry's very existence was supposed to be a secret, but I don't think his identity is now that his existence is known. As for Raz Malhotra, his identity is probably no longer a secret. His family actually joined the resistance during Secret Empire. Since Raz shouldn't have been there, as soon as they saw him out of costume, they will have realised.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 10-13-2019 at 01:18 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Most superheroes these days also don’t have any civilian cast members anymore. Their co-workers are all super heroes, their friends/love interests are superheroes, etc. Really only the Big 3 of Supes, Bats, and Spidey have such fleshed out civilian lives that they would lose a lot if their secret identities would ever permanently go away.
    This. Supporting casts, these days, are usually made up of the other Marvel heroes. There really is no reason for any hero to have an identity.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    [..] not even sure when they found out the Hulk was actually Bruce Banner.
    He was one of the first to have his identity revealed.

In Tales to Astonish #77, Rick Jones believing the Hulk was dead, and questioned by the military, he tells them Bruce and the Hulk are one and the same. Then in Tales to Astonish #87 that information was broadcast to the world and Bruce no longer had a secret identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I was referring to the Fantastic Four. The Avengers weren't Marvel's first superhero team.
    You're right. When I read the sentence the first time, my brain automatically read "Avengers" instead of "Marvel".

I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    He was one of the first to have his identity revealed.

In Tales to Astonish #77, Rick Jones believing the Hulk was dead, and questioned by the military, he tells them Bruce and the Hulk are one and the same. Then in Tales to Astonish #87 that information was broadcast to the world and Bruce no longer had a secret identity.
    Thanks for the info! I actually didn't know that
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

With how often it has has been exposed, I'm surprised Daredevil still has a secret identity.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Daredevil needs a secret identity because him being a known vigilante would makes his job as a lawyer very difficult.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Daredevil needs a secret identity because him being a known vigilante would makes his job as a lawyer very difficult.
    "I don't understand. The man I beat up last night completely exonerates my client. Why hasn't the case been dismissed already?"

BANNED

"I am sorry I can't defend you because I put you in jail in the first place which denotes prejudice on my part."
    Last edited by Desmark; 10-14-2019 at 04:23 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    "I am sorry I can't defend you because I put you in jail in the first place which denotes prejudice on my part."
    When you're pretending that Matt would follow proper ethical rules and guidelines, you're doing it wrong

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    When you're pretending that Matt would follow proper ethical rules and guidelines, you're doing it wrong
    Matt is pretty much a pretentious character in case you missed it ,so It's in the very fabric of the character that he will behave precisely in this manner to avoid getting saddled with a client he doesn't want regardless of whether he put him in the jail or not.I guess it was too subtle or lacking context. :P Foggy getting fed up with him must be a common occurrence.
    "Matt! You hypocritical son of a so and so!!!!!You can't play fast and loose with the law like that! You will get us disbarred!!!
    "So? It's just another Tuesday for us!"
    Last edited by Desmark; 10-15-2019 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManhunterfromMars View Post
    I have some serious doubts about this, except for Spider-Man who still uses it, many used to have secret identity but left them by many reasons (random reasons, others or gay, I mean, Mutant Pride in X-Men matters), but now, besides Spider-Man, how many super heroes still use secret identity, masks and all that? Why so many quit secret identities? (BESIDES all Civil War Stuff)

Why does Wolverine wears a mask, even thought he hasn´t secret identity? it serves to anything?

Even a few ones wear masks, but like Wolverine, though wearing masks, all world knows their real name. (Iron Fist, Moon Knight, etc)

Why Marvel hates secret identities, seriously I think much of super heroes, as individuals and groups, in Marvel have no secret identity.

Superheroes secret identities is a really bad used trope honestly. It should be a more limiting thing in the genre as it is now, Secret identities often depends on the people around the hero to be idiots. Which is why pretty much every modern show drops the secret identity thing among friends and family. Think about it don't you have friends and family you can hear talking in another room and know who it is, Can't you recognize friends by the phrases and speech patterns they use, Can't you recognize a person strictly by how they move or their different quirks? In a era where a computer can run match program database of lips and they are security cameras everywhere and satellite cameras. Yeah the illusion of secret identity does hold up as well anymore.

Secret Identities work best today imo if there is some big agency to back it up.Think about how many times a real life policeman has screwed up and we are unable to learn their names or what they look like, a big agency like Marvel Shield or MHA Hero Association can suppress information. The solo or vigilante hero should be the rare thing in comics and hero with secret identity should be rare in that group. Marvel and DC should be tweaking the tropes/genre to fit today. The fact that they are less heroes with secret identities make sense superheroes would be closer to a job than part time hobby. Your family is less protected with secret identity than with one. If villian figures out your identity which happens all time your family has no clue that someone is out to get them.

I think the most logical period for Superheroes at Marvel was "the Initiative",They had superheroes in every state, superheroes had to register and be trained BUT you could still use the old comic tropes as well. It would be very boring if every superhero was basically a superhero cop so differently styles of heroes should be around. But I think they have crack the modern superhero storytelling code with stuff like The Ultimates,The Boys, MHA ,One Punch man, The Initiative,etc. Tradition wins generally out with the big two always and some fans rather say suspension of disbelief with stuff like secret identity, Who pays for the damage when superheroes break something, why is 14 year old a superhero,etc instead of tweak for a slightly more logical solution which are the new tropes.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Superheroes secret identities is a really bad used trope honestly. It should be a more limiting thing in the genre as it is now, Secret identities often depends on the people around the hero to be idiots. Which is why pretty much every modern show drops the secret identity thing among friends and family. Think about it don't you have friends and family you can hear talking in another room and know who it is, Can't you recognize friends by the phrases and speech patterns they use, Can't you recognize a person strictly by how they move or their different quirks? In a era where a computer can run match program database of lips and they are security cameras everywhere and satellite cameras. Yeah the illusion of secret identity does hold up as well anymore.
    Yeah, that should be an issue for Batman, Superman, Daredevil, and Ms. Marvel. Fingerprinting should catch out Clark and Kamala as well (but not Bruce and Matt, who have gloves). But the spiders wear full body costumes, mouths and hands covered up, so the tech wouldn't expose them.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

I never liked that excuse “family always knows” because many times family members can act like complete strangers with each other even if they act friendly. Don’t you keep secrets from family members? Even if they know you’re keeping a secret, they don’t always know what it is.