Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Death in comics doesn't carry the same weight that it has in real life… So, why using it as a plot device if it will be undone? Clearly we don't talk about the same thing even if the author is sincere and wants to say meaningful with it…

Anyway, all these resurrections make me think about Stephen King's "Pet cemetery"… They didn't come back the same… Yikes…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

The last sound to be heard from the 1989 ending always did make me laugh out loud, even after everything that came before scared me ****-less in the days when I watched it before I hit puberty.

I guess I'll just have to wait until the X-Men get slotted into Phase V or VI of the MCU or something. I'll probably still be keeping occasional tabs on the general myth arc going on for "Dawn of X" and everything, but like Domino_Dare-Doll says elsewhere, the Krakoan saga, however long it might stick, is not for me and will never be for me. The same way Queenpin Black Cat was never for me; and thank God she reverted back.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

BANNED

I think it would be a grave mistake to assume Marvel Studios knows nothing of and has no interest in what Jonathan Hickman is presently doing with a massive new launch just after they regain the rights to the X-Men.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Everyone Selene kills has meaning because she gets to keep living.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Have she and Conan clashed already after his return to Marvel? Lived through the Hyborean Age and everything.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

BANNED

Nope. No encounter since his return or before for the matter when he was published by Marvel although she has faced Kulan and supposedly killed him in MTU. However he is getting ready to tangle with the serpent god Set with the Moon Knight so maybe she will play a part or cameo.

Honestly I think death had more weight in the 80's and early 90's. In the New Mutants it was used as a way to show emphasis that these were teenagers fighting an adult's battle. Mutant Massacre was scary and somber. Illyana dying was watching an out of control force burn out at the height of her powers, Doug dying was something the entire crew carried with them for years (and those characters were gone for a very long time in comic standards). Jean's ghost haunted the X-Men even when she wasn't there as a precautionary tale.

These days it's used as drama where it wasn't needed, like Kurt or Xavier. Scott and Logan you knew they'd bring back eventually. Death went from "Oh lord, here are the stakes." to "Oh well, another 6 months without X character I guess."

If anything I think that dismemberment and wounds are the new death. You know Scott would be back if he died again, but oh man HE LOST AN EYE?!!?!?! Karma LOST A LEG!?!?!?! Helion's HANDS!>!>!>!>@#!@!1221111

Now even that's robbed of us in a way.

I guess I don't mind, but you know perfectly well they will find new ways to mess with these characters. As Hickman said himself yesterday... "resurrection problems" will be something that comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I think it would be a grave mistake to assume Marvel Studios knows nothing of and has no interest in what Jonathan Hickman is presently doing with a massive new launch just after they regain the rights to the X-Men.
    At the same time, I think it would be a mistake to think Marvel Studios is actually involved in the direction this story is going.

I won't be surprised to see some influence on the X-Men from Hickman, but I figure it'll be like his influence on the Avengers. Infinity War took a handful of characters (Black Order), one concept (Black Order invading Wakanda), and some visual inspiration (the forge at Nidavellir). But you didn't end up with the Avengers Machine and all that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    If anything I think that dismemberment and wounds are the new death. You know Scott would be back if he died again, but oh man HE LOST AN EYE?!!?!?! Karma LOST A LEG!?!?!?! Helion's HANDS!>!>!>!>@#!@!1221111

Now even that's robbed of us in a way.
    The true reason Geoff Johns will never write at Marvel again is because his dismemberments wouldn't stick.

It's interesting to me that Karma is still rocking the metal leg. I don't mind it. Actually, I wouldn't mind it if they leaned into cyborg stuff with her a little.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

For me it was always going to be Xorn/Magneto in Morrison's New X-Men.

It was the logical conclusion to his story, an angry man fearing the future who relied more and more on drugs to keep up until he finally snapped.

Now of course this isn't the anti-hero version of Magneto everyone loves, but to me Morrison really captured the dichotomy between Xavier & Erik.

The fact that Marvel completely wrecked that death stopped me from reading X-Men until now because of Hickman.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

When Doug was killed it made and impact. It effected the whole team and was not just forgotten in a few issues. Plus when Doug was killed you were not sure if they were ever going to bring him back which made his death a little more serious. Compare that to today when if someone is killed you KNOW they are coming back within a few years. Everyone knew Wolverine was coming back. Everyone know Cyclops was coming back. NO ONE knew if someone like Doug Ramsey was coming back. that is why killing a list character is laughed at these days because we all know that they are not going to be gone long.

Death (of the Endless) made a crossover appearance in Excalibur.

Excalibur #25 - Death.jpg

Comics. The Archive. Um, my Excalibur is in a long box, in a bin, in the attic, in bags, with boards...
    Death between every panel I suppose, haunting the house, a certain ceremony - dust is prop snow, but you can write a thing on a mirror with your breath and finger...too...making and melting a winter.

Or simply tracing, what depending on the matter of the thickness of page, or persistence of memory.
    Last edited by sungila; 10-15-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Death makes an apparition also in Excalibur #63… (I prefer Alan Davis' work)

Anyway, death isn't a person, it's an absence and for comics, apparently, it has become a sort of fridge…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

When Colossus was killed off, he was the first character for Marvel's "dead is dead" mandate in 2001. I took them at their word, and was very bummed because he is my favorite character. He was around in the Ultimate universe at least, so that was bittersweet, but still a letdown. "Dead is dead".

Although Colossus was brought back in the incredible Astonishing X-Men series, I have to say Peter's death by the Legacy Virus (under the circumstances both in-story and editorial "new rule") hit me the hardest. A close second is Cypher, especially the issue Warlock, after watching Night of the Living dead, thought it would be nice to exhume Doug's corpse and have him visit Wolfsbane as a zombie. That one really got to me as well.

These days, when a character I am fond of dies (such as Nightcrawler, Nova (RR), Madrox, etc) it sucks, but mainly because they will not be in print for a while. The weight is not there anymore, though with rash decisions from writers and editors, that may be a good thing.

Kind of surprised no one mentioned Maddie. That ones always kind of stuck because I've felt like we haven't seen the real Maddie back since, and I liked a lot of who that character was. She always seemed in over her head with Scott, the X-Men and Sinister. Her destiny was never really her own. A sad end to a terrible 3rd act for the character. Despite that, her death mattered, or rather the legacy of it does, and continues to matter today.