Default Aquaman’s “whatever happened to the man of tomorrow”?

Hi everyone,

Do you think we’ll ever see a “whatever happened to the man of tomorrow/caped crusader” type story about Aquaman? If so, what would it be called and what would it be about?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Hi everyone,

Do you think we’ll ever see a “whatever happened to the man of tomorrow/caped crusader” type story about Aquaman? If so, what would it be called and what would it be about?
    I mean these stories are usually an origin or death, and Arthur's life is essentially a sea shanty (child of lighthouse keeper and mermaid conceived on a stormy night, becomes the hero king of Atlantis, marries a princess and then sometimes has a son who is killed by his mortal enemy). I imagine it would be a story about an older Hero King of Atlantis being called to protect his kingdom from invading undersea abominations from another dimension. Something mythic, probably painted by Stepan Sejic or Riccardo Federici. Beloved characters are killed, Atlantis is changed forever and in the end, Arthur fades off into legend that is shown to be passed down for generations to come in an epilogue, or told to his grandchildren by a surviving Mera (because I cannot allow her to die too).

He probably rides New 52 Topo into battle against LegallydistinctfromCthulhu, too. I imagine he'll be named something sounding alike to Davy Jones because I can't imagine the writer would be able to help themselves from re contextualizing Davy Jones into some sort of Lovecraftian Eldritch abomination.

People love their one true king stories, they love their old character doing one last job stories, and they love watching a hero pushed to the limit and win but at their cost. It's formulaic, but it works. Dark Knight Returns, Death of Superman, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, All-Star Superman, so on and so-forth. While characters usually have some big stories, the one watershed one is usually them dying at the end in some fashion, or if they survive it's in a capacity that effectively ends their adventures. I imagine Arthur is no different, but for it to address his core thematic, it should come across as an ancient song of a hero passed down by sailors. Some salt, brine, a whirlwind romance with a mermaid, high action on the high seas and wonder for what slumbers in the depths at the edge of the world.

I have no idea what it would be called, probably "The Once and Future King" to tie into the King Arthur reference.
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-13-2019 at 03:00 AM.

BANNED

We already saw versions of it in Sword of Atlantis and the recent 'Drowned Earth' arc and all it entailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I mean these stories are usually an origin or death, and Arthur's life is essentially a sea shanty (child of lighthouse keeper and mermaid conceived on a stormy night, becomes the hero king of Atlantis, marries a princess and then sometimes has a son who is killed by his mortal enemy). I imagine it would be a story about an older Hero King of Atlantis being called to protect his kingdom from invading undersea abominations from another dimension. Something mythic, probably painted by Stepan Sejic or Riccardo Federici. Beloved characters are killed, Atlantis is changed forever and in the end, Arthur fades off into legend that is shown to be passed down for generations to come in an epilogue, or told to his grandchildren by a surviving Mera (because I cannot allow her to die too).

He probably rides New 52 Topo into battle against LegallydistinctfromCthulhu, too. I imagine he'll be named something sounding alike to Davy Jones because I can't imagine the writer would be able to help themselves from re contextualizing Davy Jones into some sort of Lovecraftian Eldritch abomination.

People love their one true king stories, they love their old character doing one last job stories, and they love watching a hero pushed to the limit and win but at their cost. It's formulaic, but it works. Dark Knight Returns, Death of Superman, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, All-Star Superman, so on and so-forth. While characters usually have some big stories, the one watershed one is usually them dying at the end in some fashion, or if they survive it's in a capacity that effectively ends their adventures. I imagine Arthur is no different, but for it to address his core thematic, it should come across as an ancient song of a hero passed down by sailors. Some salt, brine, a whirlwind romance with a mermaid, high action on the high seas and wonder for what slumbers in the depths at the edge of the world.

I have no idea what it would be called, probably "The Once and Future King" to tie into the King Arthur reference.
    Oh my gosh that sounds so good! You should ask for a job at DC!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Oh my gosh that sounds so good! You should ask for a job at DC!
    It's also the safe pick. I'm curious if someone could come up with something that isn't essentially "Unforgiven with sea monsters." I would love for the big watershed moment to not be the character dying.