View Poll Results: Which of DC's Black Characters Has the Most Potential to Achieve Trinity Status?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Green Lantern (John Stewart)

49 30.06%
  • Vixen (Mari McCabe)

18 11.04%
  • Cyborg (Victor Stone)

13 7.98%
  • Black Lightning/Vulcan (Jefferson Pierce)

30 18.40%
  • Static (Virgil Hawkins)

7 4.29%
  • Naomi (Naomi McDuffie)

9 5.52%
  • Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt)

7 4.29%
  • Steel (John Henry Irons)

4 2.45%
  • Bumblebee (Karen Beecher)

0 0%
  • Icon (Augustus Freeman IV)

1 0.61%
  • Rocket (Raquel Ervin)

0 0%
  • Amazing-Man (Any Version)

1 0.61%
  • Aqualad (Kaldur'ahm/Jackson Hyde)

1 0.61%
  • Other (Specify Below)

3 1.84%
  • None

20 12.27%

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    but you do see how that's a leap from where we started tho, right? Yes Aqualad should tell LGBT stories and Jaime should tell Hispanic stories, no is asking that they or anyone else be restricted to oppression tales. Static was never forbidden from expressing his blackness, it informed his superheroics, and Milestone NEVER strayed away from allowing their characters to be who they are and say who they are; ever. Static wasn't a superhero who happened to be black, neither was Icon (who's origin literally starts with slavery) or Hardware (who's costumed included making himself MORE BLACK), they were black and they were superheroes and neither superseded the other. Because he proudly proclaims he's black he can only tell one kind of story? says who? I reject that premise because BLACK PANTHER exists. Black Panther made billions last year and became the biggest solo superhero movie of all time and the biggest predominately black-led, black written, and black directed film of all time. Black Panther has been telling all kinds of stories, has been used in all kinds of stories and events, and has played major roles front and center in all kinds of stories over at Marvel, and I know you have the numbers on his trades compared to any black character over at DC. There is nothing stopping Black Lightning or Duke or any black character from telling stories about race and a myriad of other stories besides editorial and the writers themselves. if these stories aren't good it's not these characters fault or their names, it's the fault of the creators telling shitty stories and both DC and Marvel need to get editors and writers who know what they are talking about if and when that's the case. And sure you can say "oh well Black Panther's name is based off an animal", but it's not a coincidence that the black guy has black in his name, he's another example of a character where acknowledging and/or affirming their blackness isn't taboo. Representation means nothing if they are not allowed to express who they are, that's the path to the sanitization and the tokenism. I'm not looking for representation by happenstance because it's often mediocre and easily replaceable with a cookie-cutter white character, and at worst, that's how you get the superhero equivalent of Crash; and you never go full Crash. I'm not saying this directly to YOU specifically, at this point i'm just arguing the point, [i digress] but Black Lightning having black in his name is not some regressive sin that will unravel the social discourse regarding race in comics and set black fandom back decades, and even if I concede that it were a problem, it would be intellectually dishonest to pretend that it is the most pressing issue regarding race in comics or the reason he's been held back from upper echelon status.
    My personal gripe with the type of stories you're suggesting is that I think they're tired as hell. Nearly every single notable black comic book hero has either done them or intrinsically has overt black stuff in their DNA, like Vixen and her totem powers, or Static and his street gang bang babies, Luke Cage and his correctional facility origin, and so on. There is no dearth of stories like that or characters like that, in comics and out of them. Actually, it's much more rare if I see a black comic character completely avoid racial commentary entirely. And what I REALLY have a problem with is the expectation that these stories must be done if there is a black character, and if they're not, somehow the writer is...oh, I don't know, not being real or legit, or something. The way I see it, if a character is locked in battle with a universal conqueror or whatever, he's probably got more pressing things in his mind than the pigmentation of his skin. But oh no! According to some, we shouldn't even have black characters fighting universal conquerors. They should be fighting cops or something because black people aren't allowed escapism like everyone else >__>
    I can't believe I actually read that tripe (no, I'm not referring to the post I quoted in this post).
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 10-15-2019 at 01:06 AM.