View Poll Results: Which of DC's Black Characters Has the Most Potential to Achieve Trinity Status?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Green Lantern (John Stewart)

49 30.06%
  • Vixen (Mari McCabe)

18 11.04%
  • Cyborg (Victor Stone)

13 7.98%
  • Black Lightning/Vulcan (Jefferson Pierce)

30 18.40%
  • Static (Virgil Hawkins)

7 4.29%
  • Naomi (Naomi McDuffie)

9 5.52%
  • Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt)

7 4.29%
  • Steel (John Henry Irons)

4 2.45%
  • Bumblebee (Karen Beecher)

0 0%
  • Icon (Augustus Freeman IV)

1 0.61%
  • Rocket (Raquel Ervin)

0 0%
  • Amazing-Man (Any Version)

1 0.61%
  • Aqualad (Kaldur'ahm/Jackson Hyde)

1 0.61%
  • Other (Specify Below)

3 1.84%
  • None

20 12.27%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Which of DC's Black Characters Has the Most Potential to Achieve Trinity Status?

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 10-13-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Static and Stewart came close thanks to the cartoon series but it’s been a long time. The most popular black character is still probably Kaldur given he’s stepped up and taken the Aquaman title in Young Justice. But it will take years of good stories to establish any of those characters anywhere near Trinity status. Vixen is one I’ve always felt could do it. She’s not a legacy, has a unique power set, and the JL could use more women. It’s always cringey when Diana is the sole woman on the team imo.

I don't really see any particularly likely anytime soon.

I don't think any of them are even on the same level as Flash or Aquaman in regards to status. Even some supporting characters like Catwoman, Robin and Lois Lane are probably more famous than most of them.

I think for a Black Character to reach Trinity Status it would need to be an original hero and not a legacy or sidekick. I think Cyborg is the best bet. If you kept him elevated in the Justice League for long enough and eventually game him a movie that was really good, he could perhaps end up on the same level as Flash or Aquaman.

Vixen, all day every day.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I voted for Cyborg because he's probably the most popular black character DC has right now, but the real answer is that it's a toss-up between him, Vixen, Black Lightning, and Bumblebee because of outside media.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Astonishing Member

I'd go with John Stewart as GL because he's got the GL franchise behind him, which is one of DC's biggest brands. A whole generation grew up watching John as GL in the JLU cartoon, which is why he's the GL featured in Snyder's JL run, and there's a 90% chance that the next GL movie will feature him. If the CW-verse actually goes ahead with having David Ramsey play John Stewart, then there's even more exposure for the character.

Subjectively, Cyborg and/or John Stewart, Objectively Black Lightning. A character who is not a legacy mantle that would always have him compete with others, and whose design is not unappealing. His origin is not based on tragedy, he's a dedicated family man who also wants to use his powers to do some good in the world. It's relatable, so he gets my vote.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Static and Stewart came close thanks to the cartoon series but it’s been a long time.
    Indeed. Fifteen years ago, I would have picked Static and then John as the top two (Cyborg would have been #3). But as you stated, that was a long time ago.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Call them...JUSTICE BLACK! They are a league of their own...

If they ever get control of the Milestone characters -- Icon and Rocket and maybe Static. Other than not, I don't see any of the characters reaching Trinity status. Hell, I don't think any white characters will reach that status.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    If they ever get control of the Milestone characters -- Icon and Rocket and maybe Static. Other than not, I don't see any of the characters reaching Trinity status. Hell, I don't think any white characters will reach that status.
    I think for viewers of JLU who didn't read comics, Flash and GL were on that level. I mean the DCAU is where the idea of a joke-y Flash and black GL entered the public consciousness, and for a lot of people that's still how those properties are remembered.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 10-25-2019 at 10:56 AM.