View Poll Results: Which of DC's Black Characters Has the Most Potential to Achieve Trinity Status?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Green Lantern (John Stewart)

49 30.06%
  • Vixen (Mari McCabe)

18 11.04%
  • Cyborg (Victor Stone)

13 7.98%
  • Black Lightning/Vulcan (Jefferson Pierce)

30 18.40%
  • Static (Virgil Hawkins)

7 4.29%
  • Naomi (Naomi McDuffie)

9 5.52%
  • Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt)

7 4.29%
  • Steel (John Henry Irons)

4 2.45%
  • Bumblebee (Karen Beecher)

0 0%
  • Icon (Augustus Freeman IV)

1 0.61%
  • Rocket (Raquel Ervin)

0 0%
  • Amazing-Man (Any Version)

1 0.61%
  • Aqualad (Kaldur'ahm/Jackson Hyde)

1 0.61%
  • Other (Specify Below)

3 1.84%
  • None

20 12.27%
Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

How do we technically show our support for these characters individually? For a book like Batman and the outsiders, will DC think that people the books want more black lightning and Duke, or do they think people bought the book for Batman. And if it doesn't sell well will DC think because there wasn't enough Batman in it, or that people didn't like Black lightning, Duke, or Katana? I honestly don't know how to tell DC I want more Vixen and if they will even consider it. Even in the JLA 2006 comic two of the trinity members rather prefer Buddy.
    Last edited by Shockingjustice; 10-19-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    How do we technically show our support for these characters individually? For a book like Batman and the outsiders, will DC think that people the books want more black lightning and Duke, or do they think people bought the book for Batman. And if it doesn't sell well will DC think because there wasn't enough Batman in it, or that people didn't like Black lightning, Duke, or Katana? I honestly don't know how to tell DC I want more Vixen and if they will even consider it.
    A big way to due it is to keep consistently supporting any solo books they put out I suppose, like Cyborg's for example, whenever they'll put out another volume anyway.

How do we technically show our support for these characters individually? For a book like Batman and the outsiders, will DC think that people the books want more black lightning and Duke, or do they think people bought the book for Batman. And if it doesn't sell well will DC think because there wasn't enough Batman in it, or that people didn't like Black lightning, Duke, or Katana? I honestly don't know how to tell DC I want more Vixen and if they will even consider it. Even in the JLA 2006 comic two of the trinity members rather prefer Buddy.
    If a book like Outsiders fails, DC is likely to consider it a failing of the other characters, perhaps the creative team, or just bad timing in a dying, over-saturated market.

But if you want to show your support for characters like Black Lightning, read Outsiders (as long as its good; never support a sh*t product just because of who's on the cover), watch the tv show, buy trades of the old BL series and miniseries (if you can find them) and back issues if not. Getting back issues from your LCS' bargain bin isn't putting money in DC's pocket so they dont really care about that, but if enough people buy those back issues DC will notice, eventually. And buy whatever Black Lightning merchandise you can find; there's not much but there's some toys, statues, I'm sure there's gotta be a t-shirt out there, etc. And talk positively about the character online, in places DC is likely to see it. DC's twitter, the social media feeds for creators, stuff like that. Forums like this.....not so much. Some pro's do visit message boards sometimes, and I'm pretty sure publishers keep a vague eye on what we're saying in places like this, but the social media, direct contact methods are way better for getting noticed. And if you go to conventions, make Black Lightning a focal point for you; wear some BL cosplay, have artists do pictures of him, buy his material from the vendors, ask about BL in the Q&A's, etc.

Basically, just put your money where your mouth is.

And if the character is in a bad book, don't buy the damn thing. Take that money and put it towards the merchandise (or blu-ray or trades or something). Buying a bad book just to support a character tells DC that they can put zero effort in, give us a bad product we don't actually enjoy, and they'll still get paid. It's a bad mindset to let them get into. It's important we show that we'll support a character, but it's equally important to let DC know we still demand quality.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Jon Stewart. He could hold a conversation with Batman. He is the only character outside of Superman, who I can say is Batman's equal. I love the Justice League unlimited episode where he, Batman and Wonderwoman go to the future.

Amazing Man is the only Black DC super-hero that straight-up LOOKS like he has that god-like presence that Clark, Bruce, and Diana have. If I knew absolutely nothing about comic book heroes and you told me that guy was the 4th pillar of the DCU ... I'd be inclined to believe it. He looks like a primordial superhero.

Seriously, that is such a memorable look, tho I would probably change the cape's color to yellow to break up all that green up top.

Mighty Member

We already have black Trinity Characters:

-Val-Zod as Superman on his Earth
    -the black Speedster of Earth 3 who is basically Impulse Counterpart (the Crime Syndicate disappeared so their Young Justice are basically their followers)

on the main earth I would say Wallace West, since he could be the Barry Allens follower or Luke Fox since there are rumors of him as Batman.

All-New Member

I personally think, in order to reach trinity status, it can't be a legacy hero. Legacies will always be tied to who came before and it always leads to discussions about who was the best person to use the title. With heroes like Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, there is no question, they are the originals.

I voted for Black Lightning because he's my favorite character on the list, but also because he is one of the few who is truly an original. He has his own back story, supporting characters, villains, and sidekicks. I still believe he should have got the push with the New 52 over Cyborg and his continued lack of use by DC is a shame.

Ultimate Member

Like I told Storm fans-who were giddy about how well she was done in Black Panther. You buying that that book for her only BENEFITS Black Panther. Because it has done NOTHING for her in X-Men books.

In the case of Batman & Outsiders-the issue is this.

For those buying the book KNOW Batman only does cameos. It's really a book with his NAME on it like we saw with Black Panther WOW & Crew-books where Panther did NOT show up or in The Crew's case after issue 3.
    For someone especially those in accounting see Batman & Outsiders selling will think it's mainly due to BATMAN not the others.

No one is going to point out Black Lightning, Katana & Cass-all held SOLOS at one time. With Cass lasting 5 years and being the longest running female of color at BOTH companies.
    Duke had a mini that did well on Kindle and sold rather well on Amazon.

And if the character is in a bad book, don't buy the damn thing.
    Yet when this keeps getting said-the flip side mainly targeting POC lead books is "if you don't buy it that is a message of you don't want it." So it's you HAVE to accept crappy books.
    Yet those same folks are SILENT when it's pointed out that Wally West, Cass, Tim, Conner and so many others had sold books to only be tossed away by management.

I think the issue with Dc's management is they don't care.

Black Panther's success even under Coates's bad writing along with that movie, 3 Oscars and merchandise selling like crazy-would have NORMAL folks going nuts.
    Not to mention Miles Morales. A New York Times best seller book. Whose book keeps getting printing every month.

Instead DC did really nothing. You look around at other companies-I have seen more black male lead books come out than ever. 20 alone since Black Panther came out. Some books done by FORMER Dc employees like Rodney Barnes. Who knows a thing or two about black characters-Boondocks & Everybody Hate Chris & My Wife & Kids.

I could not be the number 2 (soon to be 3) company in comics and let others out do me?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Yet when this keeps getting said-the flip side mainly targeting POC lead books is "if you don't buy it that is a message of you don't want it." So it's you HAVE to accept crappy books.
    This just comes down to how the company decides to translate the data. They can look at everything and conclude there's not enough of a call for the characters, or they can recognize that their own product wasn't up to snuff.

Obviously DC is tone-deaf about....pretty much everything, and they know their bread and butter is with their long running, big IP's, so they probably feel like they can ignore most everyone else and be creatively lazy (and they generally do). And they hate taking responsibility for their screw ups. So its a gamble.

But if DC decides to ignore all the factors and play to their own bias, there's nothing we can do about that. So we can either support a bad product, which tells DC we're happy with the quality, or we can refuse to reward DC for half-ass effort and not buy the book/s. Me, I'm not willing to pay money just so I can see my favorite characters mistreated. When that happens I find other ways to support them.

I think that's likely the biggest thing. If you decide not to support a bad book with a character you love, you gotta support them some other way. Ask creators about them on social media, buy the merchandise. If Black Lightning blu-ray and merch sales are down and Outsiders isn't selling, DC can say there's no demand for Jeff and who can really argue with the numbers? But if Black Lighting blu-ray and merch sales are on the rise and Outsiders isn't selling, that's a clear indicator that there's an audience for Jeff and the book itself just didn't bring them in. DC will be much more likely to give Jeff more effort when they see that he's selling everywhere but in comics. But again, if they have a bias of their own they're willing to listen to? It won't matter. So I still say save your money.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Amazing Man is the only Black DC super-hero that straight-up LOOKS like he has that god-like presence that Clark, Bruce, and Diana have. If I knew absolutely nothing about comic book heroes and you told me that guy was the 4th pillar of the DCU ... I'd be inclined to believe it. He looks like a primordial superhero.
    Loved Amazing Man! Great, classic looking costume, great classic sounding name, great (and fairly unique) power set.

Why this guy never saw more effort from DC, I'll never know! I thought there was a lot of potential there, especially when the modern day version was brought in, with his "90's update of the Golden Age" costume (yes I know AM wasn't actually a Golden Age character) and the idea of the powers being passed down generation to generation. Lots of potential there.

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

in terms of knowing who they are - black lightning , john stewart green lantern and vixen ..

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    No one is going to point out Black Lightning, Katana & Cass-all held SOLOS at one time. With Cass lasting 5 years and being the longest running female of color at BOTH companies.
    Duke had a mini that did well on Kindle and sold rather well on Amazon.
    In case of Black Lightning and Katana you can't really call that "held a solo title" imo.
    DC gave them a solo and it usually it didn't sold.

Incredible Member

So, we're into segregating characters, now...?

A better question would be, "Which Black character has the potential to reach 'legendary status', like the Trinity?" The question allows a degree of independence for the character without the need to be attached to "The Trinity" (which, btw, is a DC mandated concept that was copied off of Marvel Comics' own "trinity", IMO).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Call them...JUSTICE BLACK! They are a league of their own...

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Amazing Man is the only Black DC super-hero that straight-up LOOKS like he has that god-like presence that Clark, Bruce, and Diana have.
    I'd contest that.

There is a reason why a lot of pantheons give the power of lightning to the top god(s).