View Poll Results: Which of DC's Black Characters Has the Most Potential to Achieve Trinity Status?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Green Lantern (John Stewart)

49 30.06%
  • Vixen (Mari McCabe)

18 11.04%
  • Cyborg (Victor Stone)

13 7.98%
  • Black Lightning/Vulcan (Jefferson Pierce)

30 18.40%
  • Static (Virgil Hawkins)

7 4.29%
  • Naomi (Naomi McDuffie)

9 5.52%
  • Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt)

7 4.29%
  • Steel (John Henry Irons)

4 2.45%
  • Bumblebee (Karen Beecher)

0 0%
  • Icon (Augustus Freeman IV)

1 0.61%
  • Rocket (Raquel Ervin)

0 0%
  • Amazing-Man (Any Version)

1 0.61%
  • Aqualad (Kaldur'ahm/Jackson Hyde)

1 0.61%
  • Other (Specify Below)

3 1.84%
  • None

20 12.27%
Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Speaking of Wonder Woman, I read that her unbroken publication history has to do with her rights reverting to her creator's estate if she's not in publication. That might explain the Denny O'Neil era. Maybe her sales were low but DC had to keep publishing her title, so they made the controversial changes that they did in order to draw new readers.

The changes obviously weren't popular though.
    Even Denny O'Neil admitted this was a stupid idea.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Yeah, but they haven't taken that approach to nonwhite or LGBT characters, so I don't think it's about social justice.
    Except none of them were around since 1941 and have the numbers women have, though.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Even Denny O'Neil admitted this was a stupid idea.
    While the stories weren't bad on average, yeah, it was stupid.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Except none of them were around since 1941 and have the numbers women have, though.
    If population size mattered, Wonder Woman would be selling equal to Batman. That's not how it works. She's been outsold by many other characters and may even had cancellation numbers, but she's been kept in circulation because of legal reasons. DC decided to make a profit off the character if they had to develop her in order to continuously publish her. Too bad the Milestone folks didn't sell Static with the same legal requirement.

I wonder if Flash or Starman or Hawkman or Dr Fate would be Trinity-level if their creators made a similar deal with DC.

Wonder Woman's IP seems to have taken off in the mainstream because of the Super Friends, Lynda Carter, and the feminist movement. She's a fantasy character, but she's more well known as just a strong, archetypal heroine in the same way Superman is mostly well known as a strong, archetypal hero rather than a sci fi character. When people buy t-shirts with those logos, they're conveying a sense of archetypal strength. Can't tell you how many gym goers I've seen with Superman logos, or how many gyms I've seen with Wonder Woman iconography--my favroite being a mural with her deadlifting. Batman is different. He's an entity unto himself. Batman represents Batman. DC could've had and still can have an archetypal character of color. They've just never seen a reason to apparently.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 11-03-2019 at 08:07 PM.

BANNED

It looks like the concept of the Trinity didn't even emerge until the 2000s. Before that, it was just about the World's Finest.

https://www.cbr.com/threes-company-t...f-dcs-trinity/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I feel Vixen has the potential for franchise status. And I feel franchise status is more important then trinity status. Harleyquin doesn’t have trinity status, but she seems to be doing jut fine.
    I agree with this. So much can be told with her, her ancestors, the totem, Anansi.

Extraordinary Member

I wonder if Flash or Starman or Hawkman or Dr Fate would be Trinity-level if their creators made a similar deal with DC.
    Flash is probably closer to Wonder Womans Level, then she is to Supermans or even Batmans level.
    Currently both Green Lantern and Flash are actually selling better then Wonder Woman.

Ultimate Member

It looks like the concept of the Trinity didn't even emerge until the 2000s. Before that, it was just about the World's Finest.

https://www.cbr.com/threes-company-t...f-dcs-trinity/
    It's always felt to me like the 'Trinity' is Batman -> Superman ----> Wonder Woman, with Wonder Woman in particular feeling like an afterthought, and one with fewer advocates at DC enthused about the character and her storylines than fans of Hal Jordan or Harley Quinn.

(Which is kind of ironic, since Diana, thanks to her connections to Themiscrya and Greek myth, has this entire world of possibilities, delving into all sorts of archetypal tropes and real-world geopolitical shenanigans compared to Batman, tied to a single relatively normal city, and Superman, whose entire 'mythology' revolves around a dead world that generally shouldn't be appearing that much in the present-day. Comparatively, she seems like a veritable *feast* to write for...)

Bringing this on-topic, someone like Static, with his fictional city and 'Bang Babies', or Vixen, with Zambesi and possible elemental totems, have lots of baked in fantastic story options that someone like Cyborg (wah, am I more machine than man? Let's flog that story-horse another mile...), IMO, lacks.

That said, the fantastic elements or personalized cities don't guarantee good stories or successful runs (and sometimes they can even detract, such as when a story seems to be less about the Black Panther, than about Wakanda, and the narrative, IMO, gets away from the writer...).

Ultimate Member

If population size mattered, Wonder Woman would be selling equal to Batman. That's not how it works. She's been outsold by many other characters and may even had cancellation numbers, but she's been kept in circulation because of legal reasons. DC decided to make a profit off the character if they had to develop her in order to continuously publish her. Too bad the Milestone folks didn't sell Static with the same legal requirement.
    Under the original Milestone deal with DC-Dc had to cut Milestone a check no matter WHAT. You use Static or not-DC paid Milestone. Not sure if that is true now but it was at first.

WW kept in circulation was not just for legal reasons. If you lost the rights-someone else like an IDW or WORST Marvel can make an offer.
    Nobody wants to see Goddess of Thunder Diana Prince at Marvel.

Wonder Woman is still a WOMAN that has to deal with all the nonsense her sisters have to deal with.

Being left out of stuff at times has happened to her. I have seen Justice League New 52 stuff leave her off of packaging. Along with Cyborg (WAY MORE WITH HIM) & Aquaman. Odd the three played by POC got left off of stuff before Justice League film was even announced.

Even her movie toys-got TOSSED on clearance at Target the very next week after her film came out. Let that sink in. That did NOT happen to Black Panther nor Carol Danvers. It took 2 years for that to happen to Marvel Rising & Avengers Infinity War. Don't get me started on Batman.

I could EXCUSE if that was done to Carol, GOTG, Suicide Squad or Antman. Not Wonder Woman after her first movie.

I think the question is if being forced to do something with WW-why can't that happen with OTHERS.

Because from a business standpoint someone is going to ask why. They don't want to hear crap about sales when everyone else is NOT having an issue. You have the so-called "icon" roster.
    Moon Girl still made 47 issues before her show. Shadow Man will have his 3rd run next year. Rivers of London is heading to volume 9.

What is the excuse? Because we all know what will happen higher ups will FORCE it and you get New 52 Static, Wallace West and other offensive crap. With the excuse "we tried."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Which really breaks my heart. If DC could settle **** out with Milestone, Static could easily be their answer to Spider-Man if they play their cards right.
    It’s not a DC thing. Far as I know the Milestone lawsuit by Dwayne’s wife against the other Milestone owners is still ongoing in court. DC obviously doesn’t want to get tangled up in that so everything is in limbo.

BANNED

Yeah, I've seen some people say DC should come in and do something about Milestone's legal problems, and putting blame on DC for not doing it. That makes no sense to me. DC has NOTHING to do with that. That is a Milestone issue. Furthermore, DC has no power to fix that. They will need to settle that in court among themselves. No blame should fall on DC whatsoever for that Milestone debacle.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s not a DC thing. Far as I know the Milestone lawsuit by Dwayne’s wife against the other Milestone owners is still ongoing in court. DC obviously doesn’t want to get tangled up in that so everything is in limbo.
    I think the question folks have is how is that legal issue not messing with the guy claiming to be Static in name only in Young Justice.

If he can pop up as background fodder on that with no issue why is it an issue at DC.

While there was a legal issue of ownership and credits with Batman & Superman family-they still popped up in comics (Connor Kent not withstanding).

If DC does not want to get involve-guess what DC should be doing. Build up a black character. Something they chose NOT to do when Milestone was around the first time.

That is why they are in this mess. Milestone being around does NOT excuse DC of building up a black character. You don't won Static or Milestone.

You send a bigger message by MOVING ON. Folks get the hint when they see you moving on. While DC is waiting on Static-Miles Morales took over.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Yeah, I've seen some people say DC should come in and do something about Milestone's legal problems, and putting blame on DC for not doing it. That makes no sense to me. DC has NOTHING to do with that. That is a Milestone issue. Furthermore, DC has no power to fix that. They will need to settle that in court among themselves. No blame should fall on DC whatsoever for that Milestone debacle.
    Please provide quote.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think the question folks have is how is that legal issue not messing with the guy claiming to be Static in name only in Young Justice.

If he can pop up as background fodder on that with no issue why is it an issue at DC.

While there was a legal issue of ownership and credits with Batman & Superman family-they still popped up in comics (Connor Kent not withstanding).

If DC does not want to get involve-guess what DC should be doing. Build up a black character. Something they chose NOT to do when Milestone was around the first time.

That is why they are in this mess. Milestone being around does NOT excuse DC of building up a black character. You don't won Static or Milestone.

You send a bigger message by MOVING ON. Folks get the hint when they see you moving on. While DC is waiting on Static-Miles Morales took over.
    Might be a case of different rules applying to comics vs. outside media. But I agree with you overall, DC should’ve tried pushing their other black heroes.

One could argue DC IS trying to build up a black character with Naomi. It’s progressing well so far.