View Poll Results: Which of DC's Black Characters Has the Most Potential to Achieve Trinity Status?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Green Lantern (John Stewart)

49 30.06%
  • Vixen (Mari McCabe)

18 11.04%
  • Cyborg (Victor Stone)

13 7.98%
  • Black Lightning/Vulcan (Jefferson Pierce)

30 18.40%
  • Static (Virgil Hawkins)

7 4.29%
  • Naomi (Naomi McDuffie)

9 5.52%
  • Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt)

7 4.29%
  • Steel (John Henry Irons)

4 2.45%
  • Bumblebee (Karen Beecher)

0 0%
  • Icon (Augustus Freeman IV)

1 0.61%
  • Rocket (Raquel Ervin)

0 0%
  • Amazing-Man (Any Version)

1 0.61%
  • Aqualad (Kaldur'ahm/Jackson Hyde)

1 0.61%
  • Other (Specify Below)

3 1.84%
  • None

20 12.27%
Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Static can't be used due to legal disputes with Milestone.
    Right. In fact, he shouldn't be included in the poll, since he has zero chance of Trinity status at the moment.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I voted for none. I don't think any character can reach the same status as the trinity, regardless of their race. Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman as a trinity is not an idea that I think can be changed it is just one of these things that stands apart in the comic book landscape.
    Last edited by KC; 10-28-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I voted for none. I don't think any character can reach the same status as the trinity, regardless of their race. Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman as a trinity is not an idea that I think can be changed it is just one of these things that stands apart in the comic book landscape.
    I think the argument is (or should be) who can reach a status where you offer more variety.

In other words who can carry the banner while you wait and TAKE TIME in developing something for the others.

You should not have to flood the market with Batman, Superman & Wonder Woman all the time. Only to see Black Panther, Carol Danvers, Miles Morales, Saga, Lumber Jane and whoever else right next to you. And they are using less resources.

Who do you use to keep readers or try to get new ones? While Spiderverse was about Miles Morales-how did that help Peter and the rest? It helped spark interest and now most of them are going to be in books in 2020-mini or ongoing with a PRESCHOOL show of Peter, Miles & Gwen.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think the argument is (or should be) who can reach a status where you offer more variety.

In other words who can carry the banner while you wait and TAKE TIME in developing something for the others.

You should not have to flood the market with Batman, Superman & Wonder Woman all the time. Only to see Black Panther, Carol Danvers, Miles Morales, Saga, Lumber Jane and whoever else right next to you. And they are using less resources.

Who do you use to keep readers or try to get new ones? While Spiderverse was about Miles Morales-how did that help Peter and the rest? It helped spark interest and now most of them are going to be in books in 2020-mini or ongoing with a PRESCHOOL show of Peter, Miles & Gwen.
    Even if they offered more variety and took their time in developing different characters, I still doubt that the characters they push would reach the status of the trinity. The trinity of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman is a concept more than anything (they did not get together one day and decide to call themselves the trinity) they are historically DC's three biggest characters and because of that, they seem to all go together and I don't see that changing for anything.

DC has pushed other characters and there have been times where the sales of other characters have reached that of the trinity, but the trinity is still around.

Also, they flood the market with Trinity books because the Trinity (and especially Batman) sells.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Everyone's bitching about the original League roster but y'know what? I dont care. Yeah, they were all white dudes. I don't need DC to retcon that. Don't tell me Cyborg was there when I have the comics and memories to prove that wrong.

I don't care about the past nearly as much as I do the now. Yeah, the League founders are white dudes (and one badass woman). Fine, whatever, let's move on. Instead of trying to paint over a past (which won't work) how about we just put PoC in the League now and focus on telling good, inclusive stories today rather than fretting endlessly over a history that we can't change. And no matter what DC does or says, they can't change it either. They can say Vic or Vixen or Dr. Light (hero) or who the hell ever were League founders. It's a lie, and all of us will never forget that it's a lie. So just put some good PoC on the roster now, use them correctly, and focus on making tomorrow better than yesterday was.
    I would like for that to happen, but that's easy to say than do when you know they care more about nostalgia. Cyborg is not even considered to be apart of the big 7 to some people.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I think this is true in that the "Trinity" in DC's mind is locked to those 3 characters, so I don't think DC would ever replace one of the three, but I think other heroes can reach close to that level when you look at franchises. I'd argue that Flash and Green Lantern have been ahead of Wonder Woman as a franchise for a long time, especially in the comics, because WW has never been able to support multiple books or raise the profile of characters beyond just Diana. So the Flash and GL franchises are stronger, sell more, and probably have more influence in the DCU than WW's does. So if DC suddenly changes their mind one day and decide to have Stewart take over the GL franchise for decades (they will never do this because they are too invested in Hal) then he becomes the lead of a franchise that is stronger than WW's.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Right. In fact, he shouldn't be included in the poll, since he has zero chance of Trinity status at the moment.
    Which really breaks my heart. If DC could settle shit out with Milestone, Static could easily be their answer to Spider-Man if they play their cards right.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Which really breaks my heart. If DC could settle shit out with Milestone, Static could easily be their answer to Spider-Man if they play their cards right.
    If DC were smart they would port most of the elements from Static's animated series into the main DCU and then go from there.
    But they've already had the opportunity to do that multiple times but for some reason haven't used anything besides his suit, and they even replaced that with the monstrosity Static wore in his N52 series.

Astonishing Member

In the absence of Static, DC should've tried pushing Black Lightning 's daughters.Instead they erased both girls from continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I think this is true in that the "Trinity" in DC's mind is locked to those 3 characters, so I don't think DC would ever replace one of the three, but I think other heroes can reach close to that level when you look at franchises. I'd argue that Flash and Green Lantern have been ahead of Wonder Woman as a franchise for a long time, especially in the comics, because WW has never been able to support multiple books or raise the profile of characters beyond just Diana. So the Flash and GL franchises are stronger, sell more, and probably have more influence in the DCU than WW's does. So if DC suddenly changes their mind one day and decide to have Stewart take over the GL franchise for decades (they will never do this because they are too invested in Hal) then he becomes the lead of a franchise that is stronger than WW's.
    I agree. But as I said, being as popular as a trinity member will not necessarily mean that a character will get the same status as a trinity member. As you said, the Flash and Green Lantern are extremely popular and yet we are still talking about the trinity, which shows that the trinity will always be as they are.

BANNED

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    The thing is those 3 have NEVER gone a period where they have not been seen outside comics.

Wonder Woman is DC's default female.

She might just have that ONE book but she is RARELY excluded from stuff.

If it says WW I KNOW they are talking about Diana.

Unlike the other franchises. That are home to FANDOM WARS mainly started by management.

Excluding the teen lanterns-everyone else had successful runs (while John got derailed by editors). Instead of milking that we get a franchise held hostage by one guy. When the franchise could give Spiderverse a run for the money. Yet here we are.

Flash same thing but the war is fueled by management because the fans have no issue with sharing.

BANNED

Speaking of Wonder Woman, I read that her unbroken publication history has to do with her rights reverting to her creator's estate if she's not in publication. That might explain the Denny O'Neil era. Maybe her sales were low but DC had to keep publishing her title, so they made the controversial changes that they did in order to draw new readers.

The changes obviously weren't popular though.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Speaking of Wonder Woman, I read that her unbroken publication history has to do with her rights reverting to her creator's estate if she's not in publication. That might explain the Denny O'Neil era. Maybe her sales were low but DC had to keep publishing her title, so they made the controversial changes that they did in order to draw new readers.

The changes obviously weren't popular though.
    Not publishing the comics #1 superheroine wouldn't have been cool, either.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Not publishing the comics #1 superheroine wouldn't have been cool, either.
    Yeah, but they haven't taken that approach to nonwhite or LGBT characters, so I don't think it's about social justice.