View Poll Results: Which of DC's Black Characters Has the Most Potential to Achieve Trinity Status?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Green Lantern (John Stewart)

49 30.06%
  • Vixen (Mari McCabe)

18 11.04%
  • Cyborg (Victor Stone)

13 7.98%
  • Black Lightning/Vulcan (Jefferson Pierce)

30 18.40%
  • Static (Virgil Hawkins)

7 4.29%
  • Naomi (Naomi McDuffie)

9 5.52%
  • Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt)

7 4.29%
  • Steel (John Henry Irons)

4 2.45%
  • Bumblebee (Karen Beecher)

0 0%
  • Icon (Augustus Freeman IV)

1 0.61%
  • Rocket (Raquel Ervin)

0 0%
  • Amazing-Man (Any Version)

1 0.61%
  • Aqualad (Kaldur'ahm/Jackson Hyde)

1 0.61%
  • Other (Specify Below)

3 1.84%
  • None

20 12.27%
Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    BANNED

In publishing things cycle in and out of popularity quite a bit, and they're often very specific. Like in fantasy novels, elemental magic might be super in, or "prophesied chosen one" stories, but then super out once it starts getting over saturated, but it will cycle back around and be in again. In romance, it could be monsters, like werewolves, or bully romance, or the billionaire that falls for the average woman. Comics are kinda' a thing to themselves and aren't exactly like fiction book publishing, but there are some similarities, of course. In that field, a lot of the time, success depends largely on having the right story at the right time. You never know. One day, tragic freak heroes could be especially in, and a character like Cyborg might actually prove useful. I mean, after all, there were guys like Toxic Avenger that were really popular at a time. That's one of the reasons I never want to say "never" when it comes to if a character can work or not.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 11-10-2019 at 03:25 AM.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    The Darkstars will never take off as an independent concept. Creatively, what role would they play that Green Lanterns aren't currently?

Midnight V does make a good point about actually creating a character who will attract readership even in guest appearances, but that comes from finding a characterization that fans actually like. No one knew people would like Miles or Deadpool until those ideas were sold well.

You need a talented creator who is passionate about creating a successful character. That passion can come from various places--nostalgia, revitalizing a concept, social justice... But it's rare that a writer will use their good ideas for existing IP, unless they're trying to correct something or develop a name. Basically, the writers who were around in the early 2000s, but with a particular interest in black characters--or at least John Stewart, who's the leading candidate despite decades of editorial mismanagement.

Green Lantern(s), regardless of the lead, outsells GLC regardless of the lead. You're guaranteed to get people picking up a book starring John if he's made the lead, simply because people want to follow the main title. Then you've got the added fans of the character himself. The creative team will pull in their own numbers based on the quality of the stories. But history shows editorial won't do this.

Anyway, this thread has answered who has the most potential. Too bad DC doesn't care about potential. Short term thinking is what's gotten them where they are now, and I don't see that changing with TPTB. Short term thinking, not evolving with natural trends-- that's how IP dies.
    The Darkstars will never take off as an independent concept. Creatively, what role would they play that Green Lanterns aren't currently?
    Seriously?
    Okay...
    I'm not even a writer, but there's LOADS of stories to tell... but even though I think "social justice" as an overarching concept can be posion for a new property instead of just "Heroism" since America is split right
    ... these guys are bread and butter for that sort of thing.

"Bring Down the Empire."

From the perspective of The Darkstars and probably many others The GUARDIANS of OA (which non-colonized peoples don't call them "of the universe) and by extension the Green Lantern Corps.
    They're just practicing what amounts to basic "American Imperialism". They literally send a "The most powerful weapon in the universe" (that they have control) of to your world... normally before you have any superhuman representation
    and say to burgeoning planets "Aliens are Real. These are the rules"

Every Darkstar is made aware of that straight out, that they and "MOST" of the universe is under the purview of an army of intergalactic conquerors. Now they aren't told that the Controllers wanted that job for themselves and lost.
    They're told that green lanterns are the police arm of a totalitarian overstate. And in many perspectives they're Frankly not wrong. All you have to do is point out how "Sinestro was set loose on his people"; "Hal Jordan?" mass murderer; they oppress societies natural rulers and promote their own puppet dictators. They interceded conflicts they're not wanted or needed in: Rann/Thangar war.
    Such control they have that they can and have placed embargoes and quarantines on whole star sectors and several times entire galaxies.
    Your very earth is colonized by multiple members of these self appointed, "Liberators"... "Space Police" ... but they have arrived her with the intent to bring you world under they OAN sway.

Your goal is simple become a hero to your people. Speak Truth to power in your every action. Be an ambassador to your earth. Become an Icon for your world
    Show them that there's something greater that kneeling to distant masters with uncaring eyes. Many fear the power of distant light, you?
    You shall be our Dark Star.

Hand the suit to seemingly random black kid the summer after high school. We buff the suit. It has VAST reserves of intergalactic knowledge so he does what any good guy would do.
    Starts using it to help people. Like seriously help people.
    Dude starts turning the WORST city in the country into a paradise. Like Detroit City wakanda. First thing he does is purify the water and treats it with something that makes people more resistant to Diabetes and High Blood Pressure, curing them of the addiction to salt and sugar.

What gets him noticed by the heroes is when he teaches people how to get their homes off the power grid, and how the local metas have started following him.
    This pisses off the cops.... this pisses off the establishment... this agitates those power interests and the heroes greatly. *but the first people that interrupt are hired meta-goons.

The Goal of the controllers is that they know how crucial earth is in the grand scheme of things. They NEED a representative there. Don't get me wrong they're doing it on OTHER worlds too, but the deal is they're choosing good hearted
    Idealists to make changes to the world and expose the hypocrisy of whoever is ruling everything.
    .... and I'm just spit balling here. I wrote that in 10 mins. Come up with a name, and personality for the character. Make him likable and enviable. Think of (if you have one) you're popular younger brother.
    He's cool, he's fun, but he's never really been one to vibe with the rigidness of school... even though he graduated high cause of tests. Responsible without begin a tyrant. A creative soul. A good Soul.
    Then you give him a suit that lets him "grant wishes" technologically and whats he gonna do but "HELP PEOPLE".

Then you realize the grim truth of things.... you're not ALLOWED to help people. You're not SUPPOSED to uplift your people. ESPECIALLY not for "Free".

and hes got the best weed ever. "No charge". Oh yeah. NOT gonna be allowed.

And thats all it takes. A little creativity, a little thought, a little caring... a little effort.
    Would people read it? I don't know
    What I DO KNOW is .... You can take a concept like darkstars and make it great. If you even have the rudimentary elements of a story you want to tell.
    and a fight scene. a 20 page fight scene.

I'd actually do an issue like.... a split screen

All the stuff I talked about: All the good things he does.
    ------------------------------------Page break
    Brutal fight scene that happens when they try to pull a "black wallstreet" on this guys section of the city.

Edit: Something that always bugged me was how the heroes have to means to make the world better, but superman keeps the cure for cancer in the fortress of solitude, and batman could have just
    helped Mr.Freeze unthaw his wife (pre retcon). I thought that as a kid. As a grown up I realize things like that would be actively resisted.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 11-10-2019 at 05:30 AM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

BANNED

Yeah, I'm sure Darkstars can work, too, if done well. Respectfully, I think dissent of that concept is just the voice of someone still holding out hope for John Stewart to be the main Green Lantern. But at least if John was Darkstar (not just another Green Lantern), he would have his own niche where he can actually shine instead of being an also ran Green Lantern like he's been for 30+ years, barring the JL cartoon. I'd at least be open minded toward seeing it if real honest effort was put into getting the Darkstar concept off the ground with John at the center of it. I think Green Lantern is always pretty much going to be Hal Jordan's territory. He may take some absences here and there, but they are/will be momentary.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 11-10-2019 at 05:43 AM.

BANNED

Social justice not as an element of the story but as motivation for the writer. This is why Miles and Kamala were created. A writer who thinks its dumb that DC doesn't have a high status black character would be motivated to rectify that. I mean, that a version of what Dwayne McDuffie did when he started his own imprint.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 11-10-2019 at 05:53 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure Darkstars can work, too, if done well. Respectfully, I think dissent of that concept is just the voice of someone still holding out hope for John Stewart to be the main Green Lantern. But at least if John was Darkstar (not just another Green Lantern), he would have his own niche where he can actually shine instead of being an also ran Green Lantern like he's been for 30+ years, barring the JL cartoon. I'd at least be open minded toward seeing it if real honest effort was put into getting the Darkstar concept off the ground with John at the center of it. I think Green Lantern is always pretty much going to be Hal Jordan's territory. He may take some absences here and there, but they are/will be momentary.
    Again, how would Darksters be different from GLs? How would it be different than the Reach? How would it be different from Captain Marvel and the Nova Corps? The goal is create a mainstream property that you can license and sell toys of since that's how DC actually makes money. John becoming central GL is more lkely than the Darkstars taking off and suddenly becoming on level with the trinity. Also, it presents the same BS naming issue as "Black Lightning."

Not everyone's a quitter. John's fanbase it still going strong without content, while the same can't be said of, say, Static.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 11-10-2019 at 05:57 AM.

BANNED

Again, how would Darksters be different from GLs? How would it be different than the Reach? How would it be different from Captain Marvel and the Nova Corps? The goal is create a mainstream property that you can license and sell toys of since that's how DC actually makes money. John becoming central GL is more lkely than the Darkstars taking off and suddenly becoming on level with the trinity. Also, it presents the same BS naming issue as "Black Lightning."

Not everyone's a quitter. John's fanbase it still going strong without content, while the same can't be said of, say, Static.
    How is Yu-Gi-Oh different than Pokemon? How is Monster Rancher different from Yu-Gi-Oh? How is Medabots different from Digimon? None of the similarities between any of these properties stopped any of them from selling. If the stuff is good, it will probably find an audience. If you want John Stewart to stay Green Lantern, that's fine, but I think you're putting up flimsy reasoning to rationalize your preference.

Astonishing Member

How is Yu-Gi-Oh different than Pokemon? How is Monster Rancher different from Yu-Gi-Oh? How is Medabots different from Digimon? None of the similarities between any of these properties stopped any of them from selling. If the stuff is good, it will probably find an audience. If you want John Stewart to stay Green Lantern, that's fine, but I think you're putting up flimsy reasoning to rationalize your preference.
    Medabots is about humans and robots working together to prevent the repeat of a tragedy from 10 years ago that was orchestrated by an ancient conspiracy.

Digimon - Children and teenagers are brought to the digital world at different times to defeat evil digimon who threaten the digi world and the human world.

Monster Rancher- A kid from Earth got pulled into a different dimension to defeat the dark Lord My with the help of the humans and monsters who lived in the different dimension.

Yu-Gi-Oh- Yugi's quest to help his 'other self' recover his memories while playing a mystical card game.Later series focus on different protagonists and their allies playing the same mystical card game to defeat the forces of evil.

Pokemon-Ash 's journey to become a Pokemon master.

The only ones that have a similar premise are Digimon and Monster Rancher since both of them involve kids getting transported to alternate dimensions to fight evil.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Medabots is about humans and robots working together to prevent the repeat of a tragedy from 10 years ago that was orchestrated by an ancient conspiracy.

Digimon - Children and teenagers are brought to the digital world at different times to defeat evil digimon who threaten the digi world and the human world.

Monster Rancher- A kid from Earth got pulled into a different dimension to defeat the dark Lord My with the help of the humans and monsters who lived in the different dimension.

Yu-Gi-Oh- Yugi's quest to help his 'other self' recover his memories while playing a mystical card game.Later series focus on different protagonists and their allies playing the same mystical card game to defeat the forces of evil.

Pokemon-Ash 's journey to become a Pokemon master.

The only ones that have a similar premise are Digimon and Monster Rancher since both of them involve kids getting transported to alternate dimensions to fight evil.
    ...And at the heart of them, they all involve collecting monsters in some form or another, trading them, and using them in battle tournaments. These monsters also often evolve in some way, shape, or form.

BANNED

...And at the heart of them, they all involve collecting monsters in some form or another, trading them, and using them in battle tournaments. These monsters also often evolve in some way, shape, or form.
    Okay, they're in the same genre, but you haven't answered the question. How would Darkstars be different from GL; the Reach; and Captain Marvel and the Nova Corps?

And new questions: Has Digimon reached the same popularity as or greater popularity than Pokemon? Has Medabots reached the same popularity as or greater popularity than Pokemon?

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Agree. I also agree with your point. They do exist and they all have/had fanbases.

Again, how would Darksters be different from GLs? How would it be different than the Reach? How would it be different from Captain Marvel and the Nova Corps? The goal is create a mainstream property that you can license and sell toys of since that's how DC actually makes money.
    I actually answered that. The controllers are trying to do something different after all the previous attempts have failed.
    The adventures aren't just "Space Police" ... the entire thing is that they're specifically challenging the GL corps by being heroes.

But let me tell you....

By the logic you're using there = Reach, Nova Corps, CL Corps, Darkstars ... same. One could reasonably point out that MOST things are the same in comics, in the Archetypal fashion.

Frankly, you know who makes a REALLY good point intentionally or unintentionally? THIS GUY:

Pokemon-Ash 's journey to become a Pokemon ma
    The differences are in the STORY and in the journey you're telling. You don't get a lot of main universe tales about heroes actually trying to change things that matter. ONE DAY he might get pulled into the far reaches of fighting Starro or whatever.
    But under the auspice I suggested the controllers sent him there to "change things" and sit back to observe if they can establish a foothold on earth. . .The center of the multiverse or whatever the hell reason its special this week.

BTW.....
    "Also, it presents the same BS naming issue as "Black Lightning."
    HAHAHAHA, not THATS a gymnast. Impressing Stretches.

No ones saying "BLACK" stars its silly to even associate that. Get outta here with that.

Also, you don't need to be focused on "Social Justice" to think D.C's black characters are lackluster, the thing is about story telling. I'm not. Literally, the implication that we're only going to
    get "GOOD" or "Interesting" heroes when someone says "Duh, I think we needz muh diversty" is just silly.

I really only like John Stewart and maybe firestorm(the sometimes black guy) out of that list. While marvel has SOOOO many cool black characters these ones are mediocre.

Also I hear silencer is pretty good but I've not read it yet.

Finally... that was an example. . .
    Another good example would be, those characters mentioned in the issue featuring "Mohammed X": Stoneyard, Underground, Rush&Silence" a writer that has cool ideas and is aware of these things can "freestyle" the rest of these guys
    story.

The thing is... DOES SOMEONE HAVE A STORY WORTH TELLING?

I mean most comic lines fail, nowdays for many reasons. So I mean I'm just shotgun writing stuff, but my impetus is that there are A LOT of stories left to tell. You want a DC trinity level character?
    They'd be better off making one from scratch from a story perspective. They could revive old properties too but... I see there's gonna be a lot of stress with that for people.

And new questions: Has Digimon reached the same popularity as or greater popularity than Pokemon? Has Medabots reached the same popularity as or greater popularity than Pokemon?
    No but Yu-gi-oh certainly has.

So you don't stop trying. 50/50 chance is some of the best odds you're likely ever get.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 11-10-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

BANNED

How are Yu Gi Oh and Pokemon similar outside of battles?

Yu Gi Oh is more like Beyblade. Was that ever as popular as Yu Gi Oh?

Also, a Black character going by Darkstar doesn't call attention to his race? "Announcing the new Justice League line up: Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and . . . (our black guy) Darkstar."

Wasn't there discussion as to why a writer wouldn't have a motivation to build out an existing black character's mythology? After all, as a creator working for hire, you're not getting significant added profit or creative control. Besides, nostalgia, social justice, or a desire to make a name, why would you invest your good ideas in an existing property?
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 11-10-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Astonishing Member

How are Yu Gi Oh and Pokemon similar outside of battles?

Yu Gi Oh is more like Beyblade. Was that ever as popular as Yu Gi Oh?

Also, a Black character going by Darkstar doesn't call attention to his race? "Announcing the new Justice League line up: Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and . . . (our black guy) Darkstar."

Wasn't there discussion as to why a writer wouldn't have a motivation to build out an existing black character's mythology? After all, as a creator working for hire, you're not getting significant added profit or creative control. Besides, nostalgia, social justice, or a desire to make a name, why would you invest your good ideas in an existing property?
    The OG Beyblade was almost as popular as Yu-Gi-Oh as Pokemon. That being said, the only similarity between Yu-Gi-Oh and Beyblade are tournament arcs.

The whole point of Beyblade is winning the tournament with your team,while in Yu-Gi-Oh the tournaments are usually used to introduce allies and potential enemies for when the real plot kicks in.
    Last edited by king81992; 11-10-2019 at 12:52 PM.

BANNED

Okay, they're in the same genre, but you haven't answered the question. How would Darkstars be different from GL; the Reach; and Captain Marvel and the Nova Corps?

The question keeps getting answered--probably about 4 times by now--but you literally just respond with the exact same question every time.

Space Police is a big freaking trope:
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpacePolice

There are a gazillion types stories you can tell within that set up. I almost don't think this even deserves an answer because it's common sense. If the Darkstars are too similar to Green Lanterns for you, a writer can simply do something within the story to differentiate them more. No, I'm not going to bother brainstorming up specific stories and world building elements. Sorry. Besides, you would probably just respond with the same question regardless.

Extraordinary Member

But the fanbases of the GLs that got good content are probably stronger (at least among the comic readers).

I don't think that DC will replace any of their big lead characters (semi) permanently, any time soon.
    They might have take a character take over one of the big mantles for year (or at most two years) but not more.

Ultimate Member

What you are doing is what too many studios and folks have done to many creators. Why do I need you when I have (blank)? argument.

Quick example-Anthony Montgomery (Star Trek Enterprise) did a book called Miles Away. A book about a black kid BORN with alien powers. Keyword BORN with. He got a chance to pitch his book to Cartoon Network. This is what he got told-"we already got that idea. It's called Ben 10."
    The ONLY thing they had in common was a teen/preteen boy as the lead. Ben needs a watch to change into creatures. Miles does not.

What makes them different? STORY TELLING.

Digimon is still going strong with a new movie coming in 2020 in Japan. It only aired overseas now and very popular in the UK.
    Medabots-tv wise has stopped but they are still making games.

Because EGO plays a part.

Erik Larson is doing what many want to do-his own book that is heading to 250 issues-with a lead who got replaced by his son. His son got married and had kids. He has his own EVERYTHING. Also had a tv show.
    Look at Spawn. same question.
    Look at Static. Bitter Root. Black. Goldie Vance.
    Look at all the creator owned stuff that has done MORE than Marvel & DC.
    Now ask normal folks do they know who they are? Most don't know. A LOT of folks don't know Static was a comic first or OWNED by black men.

Folks want that name status. How do you get it? Do a definitive run with someone.

When someone says Black Panther or Cap Marvel-whose runs get mentioned? Priest & Kelly Sue Deconnick.
    Or Miles & Khan? G Willow or Bendis.
    Or Hal Jordan? JOHNS
    Because you don't know whose run will spark something. See Priest's Panther. Heck see his Deathstroke.
    There is a reason folks long for Priest's Panther over Coates.

And to be HONEST-you don't have to invest your ideas. Do like Hickman use what is already there.

Lets take Duke Thomas.
    DC has enough in limbo villains to give him a rouge gallery. Crimesmith, Bork, Dreamslayer, Kid Amazo and so on. Guys with no links to anyone else.