View Poll Results: Which of DC's Black Characters Has the Most Potential to Achieve Trinity Status?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Green Lantern (John Stewart)

49 30.06%
  • Vixen (Mari McCabe)

18 11.04%
  • Cyborg (Victor Stone)

13 7.98%
  • Black Lightning/Vulcan (Jefferson Pierce)

30 18.40%
  • Static (Virgil Hawkins)

7 4.29%
  • Naomi (Naomi McDuffie)

9 5.52%
  • Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt)

7 4.29%
  • Steel (John Henry Irons)

4 2.45%
  • Bumblebee (Karen Beecher)

0 0%
  • Icon (Augustus Freeman IV)

1 0.61%
  • Rocket (Raquel Ervin)

0 0%
  • Amazing-Man (Any Version)

1 0.61%
  • Aqualad (Kaldur'ahm/Jackson Hyde)

1 0.61%
  • Other (Specify Below)

3 1.84%
  • None

20 12.27%
Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Batman's niche was the detective, non-powered badass. Only Grant (and DCAU) pulled off the Bat-god mode, imo.

A competent writer should have no problem with Batman & Cyborg being two separate entities. If anything, Batman would seek to upgrade his bat-computer to emulate Cyborg.

A chameleon mode would rectify Cyborg's appearance problem, and enable wish fulfillment. He should be able to change shape at will. He should have a very sleek look in Cyborg mode (unless he was in an all-out war), not the over the top tank Jim Lee drew. Folks are still stuck in the 1980's with the Cyborg design. He should not look clunky.

I find it hilarious how easily MCU Vision got over any angst about not being fully human while Vic was walking around in sweats & a hoody (with his head down).

Visually, artists should have a field's day with Cyborg.

Like the Iron Man armor gets regular upgrades & redesigns, the same should be done with Vic.
    This is spot on. Fix this character’s appearance and have a field day with the visuals from there. Wishfulfilment should be at the forefront of a Cyborg concept advancement. There’s too much in-universe technology for him to still be rocking a three-fifths face. Too much tech.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I don't think playing detective is a sufficient enough role on a team of powerhouses. The Justice League MO is more often big battles than anything else.

And if Cyborg has complete access to every tech device on the planet, tracking people down through cameras and access to personal information would make mystery solving relatively easy for him.
    Not that I want to get into Batman in this thread, but detective skills, plus his other attributes (inspired by Sherlock Holmes, Doc Savage, Zorro, etc.), separates him from his god-like peers. The key for me is the lack of imagination that was evident during Cyborg's JL tenure. Working together, Vic & Batman should be seen as equals whose skills compliment each other, rather than Bats telling Vic what to do, or what to look for.

As much as technology helps is capturing criminals (and clearing the wrongfully accused), good detective work is still needed.

I just feel that Vic deserves his due.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    This is spot on. Fix this character’s appearance and have a field day with the visuals from there. Wishfulfilment should be at the forefront of a Cyborg concept advancement. There’s too much in-universe technology for him to still be rocking a three-fifths face. Too much tech.
    Thanks.

DC creators should go watch some anime to get some inspiration.

Cyborg toys could sell like Gundam toys, if marketed right.

The three-fifths face should go away. He should go full mask when in battle. Why a villainous marksman never took aim at Victor's face during battle is PIS, especially given the amount of damage the rest of his body receives.

"We gonna tear into your arms & legs, but we'll leave what's left of your face alone."

Ultimate Member

The three-fifths face should go away. He should go full mask when in battle. Why a villainous marksman never took aim at Victor's face during battle is PIS, especially given the amount of damage the rest of his body receives.

"We gonna tear into your arms & legs, but we'll leave what's left of your face alone."
    Some sort of ultra-tech (Apocalyptican?) that could, with the flip of switch, allow an armored carapace to perfectly mimic human flesh, would be the ideal solution, IMO, and could spawn from some sort of deep cover plot where normal looking people turn out to be para-demons in disguise, infiltrating various places to get in place for a surprise invasion. The tech gets introduced with these para-demon infiltrators, and Cyborg gets upgraded after some of his last biological surface components are burnt / blasted / damaged, leaving mostly internal stuff (like his brain) organic. Big clunky robot-looking Cyborg, all metal, but with a swarm of nanites, his metal skin can plasticize and he 'turns human' (looking, and feeling, and to superficial physical scans / biometrics, as his machinery feeds false data to machines scanning him) and can have a more or less 'normal' life, although, even when he looks and feels soft and fleshy and human, his body is still insanely durable (and mostly inorganic)...

Any time when he's expositing, he can transform his face, and only his face, or even cover part of his organic-looking face with a translucent armored faceplate that is barely visible, if he wants to keep his 'face' visible during a firefight, for some reason (to convince someone of his essential humanity, or reassure civilians / hostages / disaster survivors who might be freaked out by a heavily armed 'robot terminator' walking up to them).

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Batman's niche was the detective, non-powered badass. Only Grant (and DCAU) pulled off the Bat-god mode, imo.

A competent writer should have no problem with Batman & Cyborg being two separate entities. If anything, Batman would seek to upgrade his bat-computer to emulate Cyborg.

A chameleon mode would rectify Cyborg's appearance problem, and enable wish fulfillment. He should be able to change shape at will. He should have a very sleek look in Cyborg mode (unless he was in an all-out war), not the over the top tank Jim Lee drew. Folks are still stuck in the 1980's with the Cyborg design. He should not look clunky.

I find it hilarious how easily MCU Vision got over any angst about not being fully human while Vic was walking around in sweats & a hoody (with his head down).

Visually, artists should have a field's day with Cyborg.

Like the Iron Man armor gets regular upgrades & redesigns, the same should be done with Vic.
    I missed this post, but a strong yes from this end.

Some sort of ultra-tech (Apocalyptican?) that could, with the flip of switch, allow an armored carapace to perfectly mimic human flesh, would be the ideal solution, IMO, and could spawn from some sort of deep cover plot where normal looking people turn out to be para-demons in disguise, infiltrating various places to get in place for a surprise invasion. The tech gets introduced with these para-demon infiltrators, and Cyborg gets upgraded after some of his last biological surface components are burnt / blasted / damaged, leaving mostly internal stuff (like his brain) organic. Big clunky robot-looking Cyborg, all metal, but with a swarm of nanites, his metal skin can plasticize and he 'turns human' (looking, and feeling, and to superficial physical scans / biometrics, as his machinery feeds false data to machines scanning him) and can have a more or less 'normal' life, although, even when he looks and feels soft and fleshy and human, his body is still insanely durable (and mostly inorganic)...

Any time when he's expositing, he can transform his face, and only his face, or even cover part of his organic-looking face with a translucent armored faceplate that is barely visible, if he wants to keep his 'face' visible during a firefight, for some reason (to convince someone of his essential humanity, or reassure civilians / hostages / disaster survivors who might be freaked out by a heavily armed 'robot terminator' walking up to them).
    And just like that this thread has come up with the best Cyborg run in years. Both in visuals and concept. SMH how hard is that.

Give him some badass fighting feats and scenes, maybe even and occasional issue similar to one of those "Nuff Said" books where its just an unleased Vic curbstomping a small horde of "Legion of Doom villians"
    I'd give a bag a nickels for this.

Someone ring D.C.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 11-22-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Extraordinary Member

Thanks.

DC creators should go watch some anime to get some inspiration.

Cyborg toys could sell like Gundam toys, if marketed right.

DC has put in 10 years into Cyborg, its time to pick a new Horse

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    What have they really done???
    Not much in terms of comics and it's debatable with outside merch that is not Teen Titans related.

Cyborg could give you at least 10 different versions of him as a toy. Like Tony Stark, Peter Parker & Batman.
    They have done as little as they can.

What new horse are you going to use??? They have failed EVERYBODY.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

I can dig it!

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    And just like that this thread has come up with the best Cyborg run in years. Both in visuals and concept. SMH how hard is that.

Give him some badass fighting feats and scenes, maybe even and occasional issue similar to one of those "Nuff Said" books where its just an unleased Vic curbstomping a small horde of "Legion of Doom villians"
    I'd give a bag a nickels for this.

Someone ring D.C.
    It makes one wonder just what the hell a meeting inside a DC room is like when going over a character.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I'm not even a hardcore Cyborg fan. I liked him back in the 1980's, as a kid.

He may not be my favorite, but I see a lot that can be done with him.

Most importantly, the more dynamic POC in the spotlight, the better.

I want to see a full stable of viable POC heroes with passionate creators behind the scenes.

I can dig it!

It makes one wonder just what the hell a meeting inside a DC room is like when going over a character.
    A bunch of batfans all pitching “their” take on Batman...no matter the character they’re discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    A bunch of batfans all pitching “their” take on Batman...no matter the character they’re discussing.
    I dropped my drink laughing at that. Heheheh, and thats how we get things like Dark Knights: Metal and the batman who laughs.
    "What if we just make EVERYONE The BATMAN!" itd be dammned funny if they didn't go all in on it.

Huh. Well... I can see understand that postion too

Dc Owns Wildstorm now right. So if we had to pick a new horse:

How do you guys feel about Jackson king.

I always liked that guy, and putting him in the DC Proper lets you really separate the wheat from the Chaff when it comes to the best and worst of his history/abilities.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.

I was never a huge Stormwatch reader, but what I've seen of Jackson, I've liked. I really enjoyed the few issues of Monarchy I was able to get my hands on (had limited access to a LCS at that time). I'd be down with someone try to do something with him.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    I dropped my drink laughing at that. Heheheh, and thats how we get things like Dark Knights: Metal and the batman who laughs.
    "What if we just make EVERYONE The BATMAN!" itd be dammned funny if they didn't go all in on it.
    And now I'm picturing some Bat-fanatic at DC trying to Bat everyone up. "He's Victor Stone, Cyborg, but he's got a bat-wing-shaped glider pack, and his sonic cannon comes from the 'mouth' of a gun shaped like a bat's head!" "She's Icemaiden, but mashed up with Victor Freeze!" "He's Michael Jon Carter/Booster Black, his gear came from the Batcave, which, 500 years in the future, is a museum to the Bat!"

Tying this into race, I find it weird that DC spends so much time trying out various versions of 'the black Superman' or 'the black Green Lantern' or 'the black Wonder Woman,' when, IMO, they should be spending that same energy giving focus to Vixen, Black Lightning, Cyborg, etc. I don't feel like Jackson Hyde or Duke Thomas as the new 'black Aqua-dude' or 'black Bat-peep' are ever really going to get to shine the way an original character who is not a derivative will. (Either they will get overshadowed by the white original, or the white original, a la Hal Jordan or Barry Allen, will get killed off or sidelined temporarily and allow more focus on the new Diverse Lantern, and end up with the new character being resented by fans of the person they displaced.)

Static, Amazing Man, Dr. Mist, Bumblebee, etc. displace no one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I was never a huge Stormwatch reader, but what I've seen of Jackson, I've liked. I really enjoyed the few issues of Monarchy I was able to get my hands on (had limited access to a LCS at that time). I'd be down with someone try to do something with him.
    Battalion was *awesome.* I really did not like when the original Stormwatch crew got sidelined and abandoned in favor of the new gorier 'badass' Authority, with their hyperbole powers and brain-punching, and then, of all the characters for DC to port over from Wildstorm, they pick the Batman and Superman clones. Ugh. They already have *the real Batman and Superman!* It's like they bought Marvel, and shelved Spider-Man, the Hulk, Iron Man, Thor and the X-Men, and used Nighthawk and Hyperion exclusively...

No, I'm not still salty about that.

But he's got a great powerset (telepathy/telekinesis), and one that isn't terribly common at DC (unlike the X-franchise, where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting four or five telepaths...).

But he's got a great powerset (telepathy/telekinesis), and one that isn't terribly common at DC (unlike the X-franchise, where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting four or five telepaths...).
    Slight Precognition too... hell develop THAT power.
    But yeah you get to cherry pick his best feats and powers and start from there which is a good thing.

When people list all the DC black characters like that I... I kinda realize Rac7d* is right. Its time to pick a new horse.

I'm not reading any of those characters most likely.

Static, Amazing Man, Dr. Mist, Bumblebee, Vixen, Black Lightning, Cyborg... *shrug*

They don't own Static on that note.
    Funny Dr. Mist is a character I don't know, and that sounds intriguing.

So I'm going to go and google Dr.Mist and HOPE that the character has great visuals and stunning story.
    *fingers crossed*

Okay so he's one of the "Doctor" class hero's Magic. Tatoos, Big Cape. I'd give it a look.
    I have the dc app so hopefully its on there.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 11-23-2019 at 08:59 AM.

BANNED

Reggie as Black Batman.