View Poll Results: Which of DC's Black Characters Has the Most Potential to Achieve Trinity Status?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Green Lantern (John Stewart)

49 30.06%
  • Vixen (Mari McCabe)

18 11.04%
  • Cyborg (Victor Stone)

13 7.98%
  • Black Lightning/Vulcan (Jefferson Pierce)

30 18.40%
  • Static (Virgil Hawkins)

7 4.29%
  • Naomi (Naomi McDuffie)

9 5.52%
  • Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt)

7 4.29%
  • Steel (John Henry Irons)

4 2.45%
  • Bumblebee (Karen Beecher)

0 0%
  • Icon (Augustus Freeman IV)

1 0.61%
  • Rocket (Raquel Ervin)

0 0%
  • Amazing-Man (Any Version)

1 0.61%
  • Aqualad (Kaldur'ahm/Jackson Hyde)

1 0.61%
  • Other (Specify Below)

3 1.84%
  • None

20 12.27%
Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    So I'm going to go and google Dr.Mist and HOPE that the character has great visuals and stunning story.
    Was there ever a comic were he was among the main protagonists or got some kind of focus? I just rember him as an extremely minor character in during the JLI era.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Was there ever a comic were he was among the main protagonists or got some kind of focus? I just rember him as an extremely minor character in during the JLI era.
    Primal Force a series that came out after Zero Hour. Although he died during that book's run.

He also appeared on the Constantine tv show.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

I literally just googled him today.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Nommo_(New_Earth)

Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Mist

Random Youtube guy with an... interesting voice. Had to listen to it at .75 speed, but it seems complete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bmc0-aygpI

Dr. Mist reminds me of... Infidel from Astro City but heroic.

He also appeared in justice league dark.

"The Doctor" is quite the crowded archetype, but what interesting to me about this character is that he's the "Leader Guy". You rarely see the "Doctor" as the team leader and it seems like he started the global guardians.
    EDIT:

ALSO, he's ageless AND immortal... that opens up an entire BOX of that type of Ally, Enemy, and peer. It could be pretty long list, without actually resorting to having to make up your own
    new villains to face him.

FINALLY, I'm a BIG FAN of "SHE" as in "SHE who must not be named" the classic films and it occurs to me that THIS is that same story.

So from there? He's just a redesign and a black label book away from being in the "In" crowd.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 11-23-2019 at 04:09 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

If I remember correctly from info I read about Dr. Mist online, he's capable of absorbing and using other magic users' magic.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    If I remember correctly from info I read about Dr. Mist online, he's capable of absorbing and using other magic users' magic.
    Yeah he says as much, but that was in the same Nu52 book as him being an operative of Felix Faust, But... you know back to what I mentioned about battalion, its a good spot to in being able to cherry pick
    a rarely used characters best moments.
    Besides... energy absorption/Power copying is one of the "Stock" black guy powers so you know. Why not. I guess.

I've decided he's immortal and the Look where he has hair was much better, the Global Guardians look. Never really read that much, but there's a thread on the forums about it right now.

I like that in the Nu52 he's NOT leading a team but he's certainly got the chops for such a role.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.

Ultimate Member

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that he's 'famous' for creating various magical gems & items throughout history, and wouldn't mind a soft retcon that he has some connection to Sargon's 'Ruby of Life' or Vixen's 'Tantu Totem.' It would just be funky for him to be a different sort of 'magical background guy' than the Phantom Stranger, not mysteriously showing up to offer cryptic advice, so much as arranging for some non-powered person with an appropriately heroic spirit to stumble upon some mystical gewgaw (that he might have planted there for someone to find *decades ago* in case this very situation ever occured!) that empowers them to handle said threat.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I vaguely remember reading somewhere that he's 'famous' for creating various magical gems & items throughout history, and wouldn't mind a soft retcon that he has some connection to Sargon's 'Ruby of Life' or Vixen's 'Tantu Totem.' It would just be funky for him to be a different sort of 'magical background guy' than the Phantom Stranger, not mysteriously showing up to offer cryptic advice, so much as arranging for some non-powered person with an appropriately heroic spirit to stumble upon some mystical gewgaw (that he might have planted there for someone to find *decades ago* in case this very situation ever occured!) that empowers them to handle said threat.
    I'd be down with that. I've always been a fan of magic character trying to make their place within the superhero community and JL: Dark had been my favorite book since rebirth
    Last edited by Shockingjustice; 11-23-2019 at 07:11 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RollingStone View Post
    “The lurid publications depend for their appeal upon mayhem, murder, torture, abduction, superman heroics, voluptuous females, blazing machine guns, and hooded justice.”
    -Sterling North, Chicago Daily News, May 8th, 1940

“The Superman formula is essentially lynching.”
    – Gershon Legman, “The Psychopathology of Comic Books,” American Journal of Psychology, Vol. II, No. 3, 1948

“I would also remark that save for a smattering of non-white characters (and non-white creators) these books and these iconic characters are still very much white supremacist dreams of the master race. In fact, I think that a good argument can be made for D.W. Griffith’s Birth of a Nation as the first American superhero movie, and the point of origin for all those capes and masks.”
    -Alan Moore, 2016

There are a lot of horrifically bleak jokes embedded in Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ Watchmen, some of them more subtle than others. Consider the decision to give the very first 1930s superhero the name Hooded Justice, to deck him out in a hood that looked exactly like an obsidian-dyed Ku Klux Klan mask, and then, for good measure, have him walk around with a noose-like strand of rope on his neck. (Roll on snare drums. Curtains.)

RELATED
    Cheyenne Jackson as Hooded Justice
    'Watchmen' Recap: The Greatest American Hero
    'Watchmen' Recap: Dark Night of the Soul
    In case Moore wasn’t being clear enough, he included in the series’ supplemental materials an editorial from the in-universe right-wing newspaper the New Frontiersman, called “Honor is Like the Hawk: Sometimes It Must Go Hooded,” in which a blatantly racist editor favorably compares later superheroes to the Klan. The New Frontiersman is also Rorshach’s favorite publication, and in Watchmen‘s penultimate chapter, the character sends the newspaper his potentially world-shaking journal with a note that includes the words “appreciate the recent support” — a clear reference to the editorial.

Add all of that up, and showrunner Damon Lindelof’s decision to place racial injustice (and the politics of masks) at the core of HBO’s Watchmen starts to seem deeply rooted in the original text. It also makes Episode Six’s audacious retcon of Hooded Justice all the more intriguing.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-f...o-mask-918392/

Throwing Victor into space - something virtually every DC hero has already done - won't fix his problems. There was never anything conceptually wrong with focusing on cyberization in his stories the issue is most writers didn't do it in an interesting way. Ghost in the Shell, Deus Ex and Metal Gear just to name a few examples explored what it meant to be a cyborg in an interesting way.

Also, just crying "wish fulfillment" is not a good indicator of how to fix the character's problems. That is shallow and narrow-minded view of superheroes and if that is your first and only priority your character will fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Throwing Victor into space - something virtually every DC hero has already done - won't fix his problems. There was never anything conceptually wrong with focusing on cyberization in his stories the issue is most writers didn't do it in an interesting way. Ghost in the Shell, Deus Ex and Metal Gear just to name a few examples explored what it meant to be a cyborg in an interesting way.

Also, just crying "wish fulfillment" is not a good indicator of how to fix the character's problems. That is shallow and narrow-minded view of superheroes and if that is your first and only priority your character will fail.
    Ok, Agent z.... I'm all ears to hear your solution to Victors problems. I might have missed it, theres a lot of pages here.

Heck there is a page between here and the "Victor" talk, we were on about Dr. mist. So its a bit vague what you're addressing, and "Nu-uh" isn't really moving the conversation forward though its cool that there's continued interest here.

What do you think the correct answer actually IS then, Agent Z?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Ok, Agent z.... I'm all ears to hear your solution to Victors problems. I might have missed it, theres a lot of pages here.

Heck there is a page between here and the "Victor" talk, we were on about Dr. mist. So its a bit vague what you're addressing, and "Nu-uh" isn't really moving the conversation forward though its cool that there's continued interest here.

What do you think the correct answer actually IS then, Agent Z?
    I pretty much gave a solution in my post but apparently I need to elaborate.

Focus on his differences from other superheroes. Give him a defined niche to explore. Maintain his supporting cast. Move beyond his "Am human or not" phase but explore what it means to be a cyborg with more nuance with all the pros and cons this come with.

Hope that is satisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I pretty much gave a solution in my post but apparently I need to elaborate.

Focus on his differences from other superheroes. Give him a defined niche to explore. Maintain his supporting cast. Move beyond his "Am human or not" phase but explore what it means to be a cyborg with more nuance with all the pros and cons this come with.

Hope that is satisfactory.
    Ahh yes, yes, yes. Gotcha. I don't disagree with any of that.

I noted earlier that "Genos" isn't held to the same standard so maybe there a bit much emphasis on wish fulfillment, due to his looks. I get you now. Yea. Its hard for me at least to pick up a book where the main is
    constantly sulking but moreso stuck with "sulking about my condition" as the general undertone.
    Thanks for spelling out what you meant.

Incredible Member

That reminds me of the draw system in Final Fantasy 8.

I really enjoyed him when he was the leader of "Primal Force." It's a shame that title didn't get more traction and then went off the rails.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    The trouble with that argument is that its not actually true. Whites created very little in superhero comics and its not even a genre of fiction in Europe.