View Poll Results: Which of DC's Black Characters Has the Most Potential to Achieve Trinity Status?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Green Lantern (John Stewart)

49 30.06%
  • Vixen (Mari McCabe)

18 11.04%
  • Cyborg (Victor Stone)

13 7.98%
  • Black Lightning/Vulcan (Jefferson Pierce)

30 18.40%
  • Static (Virgil Hawkins)

7 4.29%
  • Naomi (Naomi McDuffie)

9 5.52%
  • Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt)

7 4.29%
  • Steel (John Henry Irons)

4 2.45%
  • Bumblebee (Karen Beecher)

0 0%
  • Icon (Augustus Freeman IV)

1 0.61%
  • Rocket (Raquel Ervin)

0 0%
  • Amazing-Man (Any Version)

1 0.61%
  • Aqualad (Kaldur'ahm/Jackson Hyde)

1 0.61%
  • Other (Specify Below)

3 1.84%
  • None

20 12.27%
Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940 LastLast
    BANNED

It's a ridiculous stretch to associate the origin of superhero comics with the KKK, seeing as superhero comics were created by Jewish people, and white supremacists tend to hate Jewish people almost as much as they hate black people a lot of the time. Considering that, I doubt Jewish people would look to the KKK for inspiration for their leading heroic characters. It's an utterly absurd notion.

BANNED

The parallel Werthem and Moore drew was a white power fantasy with a secret identity taking the law into their own hands (lynching). This was done before superheroes and the KKK with westerns, but excluding people from other races from the power fantasy perpetuates the parallel. It's lampshaded by the Watchmen TV series--and even the original novel through Hooded Justice.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 11-27-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Not shading the OP, but the very notion of the question is an "L" in and of itself. DC is solely responsible for the inability of any black characters to be in the trinity. We can't even get one black character that isn't being crapped on directly by editors.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Not shading the OP, but the very notion of the question is an "L" in and of itself. DC is solely responsible for the inability of any black characters to be in the trinity. We can't even get one black character that isn't being crapped on directly by editors.
    Mr. Terrific is doing alright I feel. Naomi is doing ok. It’s not all doom and gloom lol.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Mr. Terrific is doing alright I feel. Naomi is doing ok. It’s not all doom and gloom lol.
    Holt is in a team book.

Naomi-has she NOT appeared in a book NOT by her Daddies? One of the things Bendis said or implied was while her book is not going on, she will be active in HIS related books.
    If a person has to do this-that is an issue. I should not have to worry about a character being used in a book that I am not writing getting trashed.

Meanwhile at Marvel-they are fighting with Disney over the appeal of a character that the higher ups of Disney want GONE. Gwenpool.

BANNED

Wallace is treated with respect,mr terrific as well.
    Black lightning is currently treated the best the character has ever been with being in young justice and his own tv show and being the main lead in the outsiders book,naomi is bendis pet character so she should be fine.

Cyborg is always busy as well so if you asked me I think DC needs to treat bumblebee and aqualad way better and remember that Vixen and val zod exists.

Incredible Member

Exactly. They let lemire and yang get on with it. They were very clear that warren ellis has complete control of wildstorm imprint so michael cray was left alone too. They let gaiman do whatevet he likes so The Dreaming (is that the book?) Is left alone on his imprint and they gave Bendis the keys to superman franchise to do with as he pleases so actually a very enviable amount of creative freedom.

Ultimate Member

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/12...givingtuesday/

There is a video in there that is RARELY seen and was only show at McDuffie's memorial.

My own inclination was to create comics that were more contemporary – that meant all kinds of people, not just black people. I didn’t want to become the black version of my criticism of mainstream comics. One of the major things I was trying to accomplish was to reproduce that feeling of belonging in a younger generation of readers.

But I’m going to San Diego and I see white kids dressed as Static or white kids dressed as clearly Jon Stewart Green Lantern, I’m like we’re really getting somewhere because this is a guy who is going to be less inclined to make assumptions about who somebody is based on the colour of their skin. So yeah that’s a win.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    My own inclination was to create comics that were more contemporary – that meant all kinds of people, not just black people. I didn’t want to become the black version of my criticism of mainstream comics. One of the major things I was trying to accomplish was to reproduce that feeling of belonging in a younger generation of readers.
    I think he could have done that a lot better. First, (had I been there) I would have suggested against launching the Milestone line with only black heroes. Then, I would have suggested against having all the heroes he launched with play into some black issue narrative, be it slavery, gang violence, glass ceilings, teen pregnancies with no daddy, or whatever. That's fine for maybe one or two, but if you do that with all of them, you will be known as the comics for (certain types of) black people. I guess it was a different time, and whatnot, but I feel McDuffie painted himself into that position, and if people saw Milestone that way, they weren't completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I think he could have done that a lot better. First, (had I been there) I would have suggested against launching the Milestone line with only black heroes. Then, I would have suggested against having all the heroes he launched with play into some black issue narrative, be it slavery, gang violence, glass ceilings, teen pregnancies with no daddy, or whatever. That's fine for maybe one or two, but if you do that with all of them, you will be known as the comics for (certain types of) black people. I guess it was a different time, and whatnot, but I feel McDuffie painted himself into that position, and if people saw Milestone that way, they weren't completely wrong.
    The Milestone line wasn't just black heroes. And they didn't just deal with "black issue narratives". With the exception of slavery (which is only briefly touched on in Icon), everything that was done in Milestone was being done with white characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Milestone line wasn't just black heroes. And they didn't just deal with "black issue narratives". With the exception of slavery (which is only briefly touched on in Icon), everything that was done in Milestone was being done with white characters.
    Did you read what I actually wrote?

The Milestone line wasn't just black heroes.
    I did not say otherwise. I said...

I would have suggested against launching the Milestone line with only black heroes.
    Now, technically speaking, you might have found some character of some other ethnicity, but they would have been on a team with some other black characters. What you launch with is going to determine how people perceive you. If you launch with only black heroes, and then add some heroes of some other ethnicity down the line here or there, that's not likely to shift people's perception. They already have their idea of you, and just because you add a Kobalt or Xombi down the line doesn't mean they will see you differently.

And they didn't just deal with "black issue narratives".
    I did not say otherwise. I said...

Then, I would have suggested against having all the heroes he launched with play into some black issue narrative
    And they did. Static's origin -gangs. Icons origin - slaves. Blood Syndicate origin - gangs. Hardware's origin - Glass ceiling.
    Bruce Banner's origin is not mixed up into some white issue.
    Peter Parker's origin is not mixed up into some white issue.

I don't know why some people act like what I'm saying isn't true. It's right in front of them if they look. Now, if you like that sort of thing, that's fine, but let's not act like those comics aren't like that. I have read a number of them, though I admit I'm not a big fan of them. I've encountered this type of thing before where it's like you're not supposed to criticize Milestone. What I will say positive about that company is the coloring process they used was pretty interesting for the time, and even now. Though, I know they got that from Valiant comics. It was really Jim Shooter and co. who initially went for that type of hand painted approach using dyes.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 12-03-2019 at 11:28 PM.

Incredible Member

Bruce banner is totally built on "white issues" - hes a post war nuclear physicist- you couldnt get any more new world order than that. He's a cog in the cold war machine as white capitalist america fought white soviet marxists by proxy all over the world.

Peter parker is a white photojournalist for a white media magnate photographing things to satisfy the papers ultra conservative agenda. He's also got access to post grad university education. I never understood how peter parker was supposed to be a relatable character at all. Photojournalist and phd scientist = living the dream. That diesnt stop the comics being great but its a proper baller life dressed up as gritty struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Bruce banner is totally built on "white issues" - hes a post war nuclear physicist- you couldnt get any more new world order than that. He's a cog in the cold war machine as white capitalist america fought white soviet marxists by proxy all over the world.

Peter parker is a white photojournalist for a white media magnate photographing things to satisfy the papers ultra conservative agenda. He's also got access to post grad university education. I never understood how peter parker was supposed to be a relatable character at all. Photojournalist and phd scientist = living the dream. That diesnt stop the comics being great but its a proper baller life dressed up as gritty struggle.
    You can also add Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, Diana of Themyscira, Steve Rogers, Tony Stark and a whole bunch of other white superheroes built on "white issues".

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Vixen deserves it but most likely it would be Stewart or Cyborg based on appearances in other media.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post

Pretty reaching...

Now, if Peter Parker was denied a grant he was eligible to receive, because whoever was going to grant it to him decided to instead give it to a less eligible black student to meet a quota, and if that was a big part of his story, I might give that one to you. But, as far as I know, nothing like that has ever been an issue with Peter Parker.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 12-04-2019 at 08:49 AM.