Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Golden age titles?

I am looking for a list of golden age tittles from Dc. I would like to know more about what came out in the 40s and read up on them. With a focus on JSA and their members.

Thanks for all the help.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mike's Amazing World of Comics' Newsstand is an incredible resource for investigating old books.

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mik.../newsstand.php

Thank you.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Let's see.

MORE FUN COMICS
    ADVENTURE COMICS
    DETECTIVE COMICS
    ACTION COMICS
    SUPERMAN
    BATMAN
    FLASH COMICS
    ALL-STAR COMICS
    ALL-AMERICAN COMICS
    SENSATION COMICS
    WONDER WOMAN
    WORLD'S FINEST COMICS
    ALL-FLASH
    GREEN LANTERN
    STAR-SPANGLED COMICS
    LEADING COMICS

What am I missing?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    Let's see.

MORE FUN COMICS
    ADVENTURE COMICS
    DETECTIVE COMICS
    ACTION COMICS
    SUPERMAN
    BATMAN
    FLASH COMICS
    ALL-STAR COMICS
    ALL-AMERICAN COMICS
    SENSATION COMICS
    WONDER WOMAN
    WORLD'S FINEST COMICS
    ALL-FLASH
    GREEN LANTERN
    STAR-SPANGLED COMICS
    LEADING COMICS

What am I missing?
    I'd add Comic Cavalcade to that list as it featured some nifty stories featuring the Golden Age Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern. DC published a lovely Archive edition a decade or so back that presents the first three-four issues.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I'll be more in general:

New Fun/More Fun Comics (1935)

New Comics/New Adventure Comics/Adventure Comics (1935)

Detective Comics (1937)

Action Comics (1938)

Movie Comics (1939)

Mutt & Jeff (1939)

All-American Comics/All-American Western/All-American Men of War (1939)

Superman (1939)

All-Star Comics/All-Star Western (1940)

Batman (1940)

Flash Comics (1940)

All-Flash Quarterly (1941)

Leading Comics/Leading Screen Comics (1941)

Star Spangled Comics/Star Spangled War Stories (1941)

Green Lantern (1941)

World's Finest Comics (1941)

Wonder Woman (1942)

Sensation Comics/Sensation Mystery (1942)

Comic Cavalcade (1942)

All Funny Comics (1943)

Funny Stuff/Dodo and The Frog (1944)

Buzzy (1944)

Real Screen Comics (1945)

Animal Antics/The Raccoon Kids (1946)

Real Fact Comics (1946)

Funny Folks/Hollywood Funny Folks/Nutsy Squirrel (1946)

A Date with Judy (1947)

Gang Busters (1947)

Dale Evans Comics (1948)

Scribbly (1948)

Mr. District Attorney (1948)

Western Comics (1948)

Leave it to Binky (1948)

Tarzan (1948)

Adventures of Alan Ladd (1949)

Miss Beverly Hills of Hollywood (1949)

Romance Trail (1949)

Ozzie and Harriet (1949)

Superboy (1949)

Jimmy Wakely (1949)

Peter Porkchops (1949)

Secret Hearts (1949)

Girls' Love Stories (1949)

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1950)

Danger Trail (1950)

Adventures of Bob Hope (1950)

Strange Adventures (1950)

Tomahawk (1950)

Girls' Romances (1950)

Mystery In Space (1951)

Big Town (1951)

House of Mystery (1951)

The Phantom Stranger (1952)

Here's Howie Comics (1952)

The Adventures of Rex the Wonder Dog (1952)

Fox and the Crow (1952)

Flippity & Flop (1952)

Our Army at War (1952)

Adventures of Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis (1952)

Everything Happens to Harvey (1953)

Peter Panda (1953)

Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen (1954)

Congo Bill (1954)

Our Fighting Forces (1954)

Falling In Love (1955)

Frontier Fighters (1955)

The Brave and the Bold (1955)

The Legends of Daniel Boone (1955)

My Greatest Adventure (1955)
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 10-18-2019 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post

New Fun/More Fun Comics (1935)
    DC's first title, MORE FUN started featuring superheroes on its covers beginning with issue #52 in 1940 with the SPECTRE. Four issues later we would see DOCTOR FATE on the cover. It would be one or the other till 1942 when GREEN ARROW & SPEEDY made their first cover appearance. At the end of that year we'd see JOHNNY QUICK on the cover. Then it would be one or the other of them until 1945, when humor features began coming back. Later that year it would be SUPERBOY on the cover. But that wouldn't happen very often as it was becoming mainly a humor book until its cancellation with issue #127 in 1947.

I really enjoyed the early Alan Scott Green Lantern comics, they touched on some mature topics such as child labor from what I remember. But when his annoying sidekick cab driver showed up it became completely unreadable.

New Comics/New Adventure Comics/Adventure Comics (1935)
    DC's second title ADVENTURE would start featuring superheroes on its covers in 1939 with SANDMAN, followed by HOURMAN in 1940, STARMAN in 1941 and MANHUNTER in 1942. Then in 1946 SUPERBOY would take over cover duties where he'd remain throughout the rest of the era.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    DC's first title, MORE FUN started featuring superheroes on its covers beginning with issue #52 in 1940 with the SPECTRE. Four issues later we would see DOCTOR FATE on the cover. It would be one or the other till 1942 when GREEN ARROW & SPEEDY made their first cover appearance. At the end of that year we'd see JOHNNY QUICK on the cover. Then it would be one or the other of them until 1945, when humor features began coming back. Later that year it would be SUPERBOY on the cover. But that wouldn't happen very often as it was becoming mainly a humor book until its cancellation with issue #127 in 1947.
    The series also had what I figure to be DC's first superhero, Dr. Occult, which I think is especially evident in issues such as 1936's More Fun Comics #16.

Last edited by Electricmastro; 10-17-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Astonishing Member

The series also had what I figure to be DC's first superhero, Dr. Occult, which I think is especially evident in issues such as 1936's More Fun Comics #16.

Doctor Occult! I love that guy.

Astonishing Member

New Comics/New Adventure Comics/Adventure Comics (1935).
    While we are discussing Adventure, would suggesting Sandman Mystery Theatre help the OP? That basically takes the original Sandman strips and expands them. It is still kept in the late 1930s and 1940s. Just told with a modern feel. So it might be perfect if they've never read Golden Age stuff before.

Retired

Sorry I haven't replied to this topic sooner, but I could never get past the tittle The big early title that seems to be missing from Electricmastro's list (unless it's there and I just don't see it) is PICTURE STORIES FROM THE BIBLE--granted this was published by the All-American side of National Comics (but so was ALL-STAR COMICS and FLASH COMICS, among many others)--and it's the one thing that M.C. Gaines took with him when he left DC to start up EC.

YOUNG LOVE and YOUNG ROMANCE were comics that Simon & Kirby created for Prize. It was only much later that DC acquired those titles from Prize. Likewise HOPALONG CASSIDY was a Fawcett title that DC acquired when they went under. And G.I. COMBAT was the other title that DC continued from the Quality run along with BLACKHAWK.

As a curiosity, Quality also had their own ROBIN HOOD TALES. Robin Hood was a character that many publishers had at one time or another and DC had their own Robin Hood in THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD--but this version started out with one look, distinct from Quality's, yet changed to look a lot like the Quality Robin Hood just when that publisher was about to fold in 1956. So did DC "acquire" Quality's Robin Hood and amalgamate him with their own?

Detective Comics (1937)
    While the CRIMSON AVENGER would get a couple covers of DC's third title beginning in 1938, BATMAN would soon take over beginning in 1939.

Retired

Stealing from myself this is what I wrote on my old blog several years ago, when I tried to trace the path that led to Green Arrow and Aquaman surviving into the 1960s and joining the Justice League:

To trace the journey of Green Arrow and Aquaman, we first have to look at MORE FUN COMICS, which didn’t start out as MORE FUN COMICS.

> 1934, Major Malcolm Wheeler Nicholson gets in on the ground floor of a new medium spun off from the Sunday funnies. His company is called National Allied.

> January ’35, Nicholson launches NEW FUN. A compilation of adventure strips (fantasy heroes, period drama, crime busters, thrill seekers) and funny cartoons–NEW FUN contains all new material, designed to look like Sunday funnies–unlike other early funny books that simply reprinted the Sunday funnies.

> NEW COMICS is launched later that year. I suppose that having two titles both called “NEW” could get confusing, so NEW FUN became MORE FUN.

> Short on funds, the Major gets help from Harry Donenfeld to launch more titles.

> 1937, the next ongoing is DETECTIVE COMICS (thus the intials D.C.–which either stand for “Detective Comics” or “Donenfeld Comics,” take your pick). To bring uniformity to the line MORE FUN becomes MORE FUN COMICS–and all three titles now use the same font for “COMICS” in their logos.

> NEW COMICS, to emphasize its content, adds the word ADVENTURE and becomes NEW ADVENTURE COMICS and soon the NEW was dropped and it simply became ADVENTURE COMICS. Got that?

> National Allied aka DC launches a 4th ongoing anthology in 1938—ACTION COMICS--featuring Superman!

> The popularity of Superman starts the whole trend toward using mystery men in comics (mystery men being another term for what we now call super-heroes). Each of the DC anthology titles needed to have its own mystery man.

> DETECTIVE COMICS adds the Crimson Avenger to its line up in issue 20. Then Batman in issue 27.

> ADVENTURE COMICS gets Sandman.

> MORE FUN COMICS takes a longer time recruiting its mystery man but eventually puts in the Spectre.

> 1940, All-American Comics, Inc., publishes FLASH COMICS with a multitude of mystery men, showing that more than one super-hero can appear in an anthology.

> ADVENTURE COMICS adds Hourman to its roster.

> MORE FUN COMICS gets Doctor Fate.

> The long running Tex Thompson in ACTION becomes a mystery man, Mr. America, with his own costumed sidekick, Fatman.

> Starman (co-created by Jack Schiff with Jack Burnley) comes on board ADVENTURE in issue 61 and the Shining Knight in issue 66.

> The Shining Knight is set in modern day, but has some period elements and might be considered a hybrid hero–knight + mystery man. Hybrids are the new thing. ACTION COMICS soon adds its own hybrid, the Vigilante (cowboy + mystery man), in issue 42.

> 1941, Mort Weisinger is the editor of MORE FUN COMICS (and other DC titles). Doctor Fate remains the cover-featured character, but Weisinger adds his own speedster in issue 71 (cover dated September ’41) on sale July 24 ’41. Competing with the Flash, Johnny Quick is co-created by Mort.

> In issue 73 (November ’41), on sale in September, the same month as the Vigilante’s debut, MORE FUN adds two more heroes, also co-created by Weisinger: Green Arrow (and Speedy)–co-created with artist George Papp; and Aquaman–co-created with artist Paul Norris.

> Green Arrow and Speedy are also lucky enough to get a place in the Seven Soldiers of Victory (along with Shining Knight, Crimson Avenger, Vigilante, Star Spangled Kid and Stripesy) in the first issue of LEADING COMICS (Winter ’41), on sale December 7 ’41 (Pearl Harbor Day).

> The luck runs out for the SSoV pretty quick, but Green Arrow also scores a spot in WORLD’S FINEST COMICS, starting with issue No. 7 (Fall ’42), on sale July 31 ’42.

> By the end of ’42, Mort Weisinger is called up for service in World War II, and Jack Schiff takes over titles that Mort had edited, including ADVENTURE, MORE FUN and WORLD’S FINEST (Green Arrow’s other home).

> 1944, Superboy is added to the MORE FUN roster with issue 101 (July-August ’44) on sale May 23 ’44. Which turns out to be the last issue for the Spectre–Doctor Fate having already left in issue 98.

> Not long after that, most of the MORE FUN occupants have to go begging for a place to stay. With issue 107 (January-February ’46), the format changes to all humour, leaving Dover and Clover (a Henry Boltinoff comedy feature) as the only remaining feature from the previous issues. Even Schiff himself has to leave MORE FUN.

> Superboy, Johnny Quick, Green Arrow and Aquaman move into ADVENTURE COMICS 103 (April ’46), on sale February 28 ’46–with the Shining Knight, who has always made ADVENTURE his home. Another comedy feature, Genius Jones, which has been a resident of ADVENTURE, moves over to MORE FUN. But the other previous occupants–Sandman, Starman and Mike Gibbs–have no place to go.

> As of ADVENTURE COMICS 152 (May ’50), on sale March 29 ’50, the number of featured spots goes down from five to four. By this time, Superboy has his own title, but he isn’t about to give up ADVENTURE as he is now the star. Green Arrow has his regular spot in WORLD’S FINEST. But Green Arrow, Shining Knight, Aquaman and Johnny Quick have to jockey for position in ADVENTURE.

> This goes on for a whole year, with one of the four being left out in any given issue, until issue 166, which was the last issue for the Shining Knight.

> By the way, this might explain why Ramona Fradon had her long run on Aquaman. She had been the artist on Shining Knight for his last two stories in ADVENTURE, BUT when he lost that spot, Ramona was shifted onto Aquaman. Perhaps Schiff didn’t want to leave Fradon without a job, so he handed her the Sea King.

> 1953, Mort Weisinger resumes as editor on ADVENTURE COMICS (more than a decade after leaving it with Jack Schiff).

> Then with ADVENTURE 205 (October ’54) pages are being cut from DC comics, which leaves only three spots open. Superboy holds his own, but now Green Arrow, Aquaman and Johnny Quick are on a round-robin for placement. Editor Weisinger has to choose between three characters he had created. Given that Green Arrow still has a spot in WORLD’S FINEST (edited by Schiff), Mort could have saved all three by cutting Green Arrow from ADVENTURE. But he didn’t do that, instead Weisinger cut Johnny Quick–issue 207 (December ’54) being the last for Johnny.

> Another sea-change occurs when Congo Bill is pushed out of his long held spot in ACTION COMICS. He comes over to ADVENTURE COMICS with issue 270 (March ’60) on sale January 28 ’60. And that cuts Green Arrow out of ADVENTURE.

> By this time, Aquaman is being featured with the Justice League, who got their first try-out the month before, in THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD 28 (February-March 1960) on sale December 29 ’59.

> Aquaman goes on to get his own try-out in 1960 which led to the ongoing AQUAMAN title. Green Arrow had been left out of the Justice League but at least he still had his spot in WORLD’S FINEST, thanks to Jack Schiff.

Julius Schwartz said that it was simply a mistake that he omitted Green Arrow from the Justice League and he soon corrected the error when it was brought to his attention by the fanmail. However, I think that Schwartz was being politic. The group featured seven characters (odd numbers are always better for team books)–two belonged to Schwartz (Flash and Green Lantern). Two belonged to Schiff (Batman and Martian Manhunter). Two belonged to Weisinger (Superman and Aquaman). And one belonged to Kanigher (Wonder Woman). Schwartz was just maintaining an editorial balance.

Months later, Green Arrow got his spot on the Justice League. And a few years later, Green Arrow lost his feature in WORLD’S FINEST, when Jack Schiff left that title. Without the Justice League to keep him in the public eye, Green Arrow might’ve gone the way of other second banana heroes. He was kept on life support by the guy who had ignored him–Julie Schwartz.