Thread: Bendis Powers

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Bendis Powers

Not sure if this should go here now, so feel free to remove if it doesn’t.

What are people’s thoughts on Bendis/Oeming Powers?

I’ve read a fair portion and think they just sort of run out of steam/ideas once Volume 3 starts going. FBI and Volume 4 I never even read. Maybe it is something to do with delays.
    But what are everyone’s opinions? I hope they can find the magic it had in its earlier days.

A long time since I read...can’t even remember how far I got through series.

For me, thought series lost its way with decision to give both leads powers...I’d have actually preferred neither to have powers, one might have been interesting, but powering both up just didn’t work.

It’s a series that I regard as “mid tier” Bendis..not as good as Ultimate Spider-man or Daredevil, but miles better than his Avengers run.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    A long time since I read...can’t even remember how far I got through series.

For me, thought series lost its way with decision to give both leads powers...I’d have actually preferred neither to have powers, one might have been interesting, but powering both up just didn’t work.

It’s a series that I regard as “mid tier” Bendis..not as good as Ultimate Spider-man or Daredevil, but miles better than his Avengers run.
    Would it have been a better story without any of the delays, do you think?
    I can imagine it hard for a writer/creative team to continue your planned story after a few of years where you have changed how you see your work.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Would it have been a better story without any of the delays, do you think?
    I can imagine it hard for a writer/creative team to continue your planned story after a few of years where you have changed how you see your work.
    That’s a good general question, I think.

My personal opinion is that it’s usually a mistake for writers to come back to old stories years later...but one that will often be made for all sorts of reasons.